Divorce?

Are you having trouble with your family or friends? Please talk it out with us.

Moderator: Sex & Relationships Moderators

Fishhead
Needs Another Hobby

Divorce?

Post by Fishhead »

Ok erm..wasn't quite sure if this belonged here.. but here it is.. My mom is talking about getting a divorce.. and I just wanted to know a few things.. first Do both parents have to agree to get the divorce? Like do both have to sign the divorce papers and whatnot? and About how long will it take to happen? and How exactly does a divorce work? .. I was trying to research on it, but I really couldn't find anything.. and my mom doesn't like talking about it.. I'm not even for sure it will happen.. *crosses fingers* but if she just stays away from him and he isn't extremely abusive for awhile she might get it done *sigh* but if both have to sign the papers.. it wont.. i was just wondering if any of you knew anything about it..
belis
Loyal

Re: Divorce?

Post by belis »

It works a little bit differently in each country so I am not sure if what I say will be 100% right in this case, anybody who knows better please feel free to correct me.

First of all I think they do not have to agree both if one said is abussive in any way, then the court can make that decision without their agreement, but it than takes longer to finalise the whole thing. How long it takes? It realy depends, if both sides agree, they agree that they are equialy guilty for what happend, there is no argumant about who takes which possesions after divorse (like if there was intercise ready or they simply divide 50:50), there is no argument over custody of children (that is bit about you), then it can go fairly quickly. However if there are problems with any of above or some other issues it can take longer or even much longer.

How the divorce work? Well your parents are not seen as a merid cople by law anymore, when it comes to bank acounts, inheritance, stating in court whatever. Obviously they do not live together anymore. And that is basicly it.

Hope I helped a little bit. If you have any questions or I was unclear in some bits (my demm english, still working on it) feel free to PM me.
Dark
Loyal

Post by Dark »

My parents got divorced about 5 years ago, but I'll try to recall all I can...

Yes, they get lawyers, and they both sign the papers...They get divorced. Big waste of money with the lawyers in my opinion, but it's nessecary for them to take it to a judge...If it's not mutual, then they are just separated, I believe...It was mutual for my parents, but I think that's what I read in those papers...(I'm nosy..I went and looked at the papers..)

How long it takes depends on the lawyers, and how long it'll take to get the posessions thing straight...Took my parents about three months, I think...

If they do get divorced...Well...I won't lie...It was probably one of the worst things that happened to me...However, for me, it was like this: My mother is *finally* cured from her deadly disease(She had it for about 2 months, and was in the hospital the entire time)...Three weeks later, they talk about divorce (arguments and whatnot), week later, it happens...Really bad crying fit and loud arguing...(I was in the fourth grade..)Two weeks later, my great-grandmother died...So, that could have made it worse for me...Hopefully, that won't happen to you though..

If your parents actually seem like they would be better off by themselves, then it's easier to deal with...Because you can tell they'll be happier this way...But, by the way you've stated it, it seems like your parents had a pretty healthy relationship before all of this...But, I hope everything turns out well for you. :)
Beautiful:I thought this was helping teens.. not i wanna be a whore, profit my videos?
Fishhead
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Fishhead »

Well it's not a very healthy relationship.. and there's five of us kids for him to fight about custody for.. But thanks for all of your help and I'm really hoping they get a divorce. My dad is horrible to live with on both my mom and me, and I've had enough.. I'm sure she's sick of it to but thats alright I'm just hoping that she doesn't back out. She's the type of person that if he does something.. she's going to back out of it. But I really hope she goes through with it.. I know it'll be hell on all of us for awhile but in the long run I think it's the best thing for all of us.. He's abusive and my mom doesn't deserve that.. None of us deserve it. So I hope she'll be strong and pull through it. I know he wont get custody.. But I've got a feeling he's going to cause problems..and we are going to have to prove he abuses us.. and CPS might get involved.. and I've already lied to them about abuse from my dad.. :/ oh well.. I just hope he doesn't cause too many problems
jess_617
Veteran

Post by jess_617 »

Youll be okay hunny. Everything will be better for you all after they get a divorce. Really I dont have to much to add besides one thing. You mentioned that if your parents both had to sign then the divorce wouldnt happen. Well initially both parties are supposed to sign, but if party A refused to sign then party B will be able to go through the divorce singularly. Meaning, the person in party B was notified and petitioned to sign for the divorce but refused, theres a whole legal process for that and itll take a bit longer but your mother will still be able to get the divorce.

No worries hun, youll be much happier when this is all over. If you need to talk about anything Im here for you m'dear.

Jessi
Hey everyone. Im around here alot so if anyone ever needs a chat feel free to PM me or add me on Yahoo, AIM, or MSN. I'll do my best to help. <3

Jessi's Myspace...add me if you want..i have like 3 friends on there. lol