I Just Don't Know Anymore.......

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

The Sage Nabooru
Loyal

I Just Don't Know Anymore.......

Post by The Sage Nabooru »

I was brought up Lutheran, in an anti-Catholic family and an EXTREMELY anti-Catholic extended family (my grandmother told me all the old lies, like Catholic priests are encouraged by the Church to use whores and children and nuns since they can't be married [and that that's the only use nuns really have], and that you can only pray to Mary because you're not worthy enough to pray to anyone else, and that Catholics believe you are saved and rewarded by how much money you give the Church, etc. etc. The list goes on and on of her bullshit). But after I actually started thinking about religion, I decided that Lutheranism wasn't for me, and I started looking around more and found Catholicism a good place where I felt comfortable. I didn't believe EVERY LITTLE THING it preached, like I didn't agree with its stance on sex before marriage, birth control, etc. but for the most part I enjoyed the devotion to God I found in it for me. But my family hit the ceiling. My grandmother treats me very, very coldly and has even said that she'd rather I become an atheist than be Catholic because even they have a better chance of getting into Heaven than "those false Catholics" do, and for the most part my close family has decided to ignore and pretend that I never said anything about liking Catholicism, and when it comes up, they degrade me by treating it like some kind of joke and telling me that I couldn't join because I don't agree with everything. I just feel so confused. I don't know what to do.

Oh, by the way, I didn't come in here to be converted to atheism or trendy spirituality, so if you're going to reply simply for the sake of telling me how disgusting religion and/or the Catholic Church is, and how I should just drop out of (organized) religion altogether because it's going to fuck up my life, FUCK OFF. I don't need you.
I love Alanis Morissette, The White Stripes, Sheryl Crow, The Beatles, Fiona Apple, Tori Amos, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Bjork, U2, and so many others that influence my music. Write if you are interested.
Adnama
Veteran

Re: I Just Don't Know Anymore.......

Post by Adnama »

I'm a lutheran here, but neither I, nor my family, have any specific 'catholic-hateing' feelings. Personaly, catholicism isn't for me, and I REALLY disagree with ALOT of their doctrine and such. But hey, if you like it, then good!

When it comes right down to it, a christian is a christian, and as long as you believe in Christ and in what he did for you, and repent for your sins as best you can, then you are a christian and you are going to heaven. The rest of the stuff dosn't mater nearly as much in the end, at least not to me, and i don't think to God either.

Your family is full of it, i'm sorry, but they are. Try to explain to them, CALMLY, how you feel and what your beliefs are. If that dosn't work, they can shove it. Ignore them if you have to.
"It's just not the same when you're staring into a perfect golden sunset,

And thinking about how you sold your soul to send the rain away"

-Mineral "Slower"

"And the very fear that makes you want to die

Is just the same as what keeps you alive..."

-Barenaked Ladies, "War on drugs"

My blog of depressed rants: http://sendtherainaway.blogspot.com/
Abbi
Veteran

Post by Abbi »

I don't understand why you are trying to find a religion. All religion is, is theory, when you can just as easily make up your own theory and being your own person instead of following someone else's theory.

I don't think it's necessary spending your whole life trying to figure out where we came from and where we will go when we die, because no one will ever know for a fact, until we die. So why waste the time. It's time to live, not figure out whats going to happen to us. So have fun while you still can.
Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair...
PurplePoemPuppet
Veteran

Post by PurplePoemPuppet »

I'm a Christian, and I never claim to have any specific choice of denomination. I go to a covenant church and that's about all that can speak for my Christian faith. The true belief comes in believing in God. In choosing to do so, I found a church (though help of my ex boyfriend) that I feel comfortable in, that I feel accepted and supported in. With such a great atmosphere, I'm more willing to learn about faith in God and reasoning behind the Bible and teachings. It's a big struggle when you're forced to go to a church or you attend one you just don't feel "right" in. If you don't want to be there, then you're not going to be open to what's being taught. Unfortunately, if you want to join a religion that has a belief in God, the first and foremost thing is believing in God and what he teaches. That's where all these denominations come from is having alternative views on what God teaches and how you're supposed to go about worshiping that. I've found that attending a church that I like, I'm open to learning about things that confuse me and finding out more about them in order to not feel like I have things to disagree with in the Bible. I don't know about taking up a specific named religion as the main focus should be about your faith in God, but I think that when deciding to take up a specific religion, being in a place where you feel comfortable to learn new things is very key to your understanding your personal faith. One thing is that you can't worry about the negative effects of your family, or friends, etc. those people are placed around the belief you have in God, because he comes first. Once you've foudn this to be true, you're able to find that if you struggle with declaring any sort of faith, all you have to do is know that you're a Christian: one who believes and serves God, and doesn't have to have a set "religion" that could have negative connotations and hypocritical misunderstandings.

If any of this was confusing I'd be happy to clarify. I feel like I rambled a little... but I hope some has helped.
Email: SMyers017@gmail.com

AIM: PurplePoemPuppet