A Problem I'm Struggling With

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

UsdiAnidawehi
Loyal

A Problem I'm Struggling With

Post by UsdiAnidawehi »

well i was just wondering if it's a sin to physically hurt yourself. cus i'm a cutter. lately i've been so sad. and i don't know what to do. i go to church every week. i've tried giving my saddness to God but it doesn't seem to go away. i don't know what's wrong with me. am i being punished for something. cus right now i feel like i am. i odn't know what to do to make everything better. can anyone help me before i totally loose it and do something i will regret

usdianidawehi
sarahbeara
Loyal

Re: A Problem I'm Struggling With

Post by sarahbeara »

well, i think it depends on what faith you belong to...i mean, i think that catholics consider it a sin. (im catholic, and i cut too. ) but i also try to offer it up to God, but just remember that he knows everything, and if you let him help you he will. maybe not right away, but when he needs to for his whole 'bigger plan' to work out. anyways, im struggling with the same thign right now, so feel free to pm me.

luv and luck~sarah
"It's not enough.

I need more.

Nothing seems to satisfy.

I don't want it.

I just need it.

To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive."

~TOOL

Doodle takes Dad's scissors to her skin

And when she does relief comes setting in

While she hides the scars she's making underneath her pretty clothes

She sings:

Hey baby can you bleed like me?

C'mon baby can you bleed like me

~garbage

stay gold ponyboy stay gold~
Rose'nShannenRox
Loyal

Post by Rose'nShannenRox »

Im a part of the fellowship of the unashamed.I have Holy Spirit power. The die has been cast.I have stepped over the line.The decision has been made. Im a disciple of His.I wont look back,let up,slow down,back away,or be still...

My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my Guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought, compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,deluded,or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of the adversary,negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity.

I wont give up,shut up,let up,untill i have stayed up,stored up,prayed up,paid up,preached up for the cause of Christ.I am a disciple of Jesus.I must go till He comes,give till i drop,preach till all know,and work till He stops me; and when He comes for His own,He will have no problem recognizing me-my banner will be clear!

-African pastor in Zimbabwe
Toy Soldier
Veteran

Post by Toy Soldier »

I'm presuming that it is a sin, because your body is 'a gift from G-d' and is a 'temple' so you should take good care of it. Your body is a shell to carry your soul about, and so destroying it is bad. However, I also believe G-d is benvolent and all forgiving and He wants to help you. He understands why you are doing it, and it saddens Him because He does'nt to see any of the people He created in pain.

Whats been making you feel so sad hun? Whats been wanting to make you hurt yourself?If you want to talk, pm or msn me :hug:

~*~Ruth~*~
Ruth I was forgotten, I won't be forgotten, never again... says:

lol, dont think they have tigers on farmsthough :/

Angel Breaks says:

i was thinkin that but fuck it macdonald was progressive he knew tigers were the future
Adnama
Veteran

Post by Adnama »

I know there's a verse in the bible somewhere that talks about how the body is the temple of the holy spirit, and you're not suposed to desecrate it.

But I wouldn't look at it as a sin, I look at it as [and I am a cutter too] God dosn't want you to hurt that bad, God dosn't want you to hurt your self, but you have an obstical that you need to overcome with this, and God will help you with that if you let him... in his own way.
"It's just not the same when you're staring into a perfect golden sunset,

And thinking about how you sold your soul to send the rain away"

-Mineral "Slower"

"And the very fear that makes you want to die

Is just the same as what keeps you alive..."

-Barenaked Ladies, "War on drugs"

My blog of depressed rants: http://sendtherainaway.blogspot.com/
XTorn2PiecesLPX
Veteran

Post by XTorn2PiecesLPX »

If god didnt want us to cut then why would he make situations that drive people to? I know the whole temptation thing but still, maybe there is such a thing as too much temptation.......If it is a sin then why would he drive people to do it?

Not tryin to get yelled at....Just my thoughts

-Rocket
Cause I am stricken and cant let you go ~Disturbed

The prettiest people do the ugliest things ~ K. West

Do you pull me up just to push me down again ~Mudvayne

And when Im gone just carry on, dont morn, rejoyce everytime you hear the sound of my voice just know that im lookin down on you smiling and i didnt feel a thing so baby dont feel my pain just smile back
!XogFog
Loyal

Post by !XogFog »

Originally posted by XTorn2PiecesLPX@Jul 11 2005, 11:47 PM

If god didnt want us to cut then why would he make situations that drive people to? I know the whole temptation thing but still, maybe there is such a thing as too much temptation.......If it is a sin then why would he drive people to do it?

Not tryin to get yelled at....Just my thoughts

-Rocket

[right][/right]

If G-d didn't want us to murder, they why would he make situations that drive people to? Your logic is flawed. We are supposed to be able to resist such things.
G-d is not a man, that He should be deceitful, nor a son of man that He should change His mind. (Numbers 23:19)

The fear of the L-RD is the beginning of knowledge; foolish ones scorn wisdom and discipline. (Proverbs 1:7)

The beginning of wisdom is to aquire wisdom; from your every acquisition acquire understanding. (Proverbs 4:7)

XTorn2PiecesLPX
Veteran

We're humans, we make mistakes, we are all flawed, therefore its extreamly hard for us to resist temptation. thats why *MOST* people give into it......

And when Im gone just carry on, dont morn, rejoyce everytime you hear the sound of my voice just know that im lookin down on you smiling and i didnt feel a thing so baby dont feel my pain just smile back
sarahbeara
Loyal

Post by sarahbeara »

well idk. its an option to everybody when they get stressed and stuff, blah blah, but not many people take this route. idk, i mean, i understand that its a coping mechanism, and i do it, and dont think its that bad...spiritually i think...but i also think its a very personal issue. i mean, it depends on the intensity of your spirituality, and i think that each person has to make the decision for themselves. i dont think that any faith has a dogma concerning SI, and idk, i guess that its a personal perception.

luv and luck~sarah
"It's not enough.

I need more.

Nothing seems to satisfy.

I don't want it.

I just need it.

To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive."

~TOOL

Doodle takes Dad's scissors to her skin

And when she does relief comes setting in

While she hides the scars she's making underneath her pretty clothes

She sings:

Hey baby can you bleed like me?

C'mon baby can you bleed like me

~garbage

stay gold ponyboy stay gold~
!XogFog
Loyal

Post by !XogFog »

Originally posted by XTorn2PiecesLPX@Jul 12 2005, 12:25 AM

We're humans, we make mistakes, we are all flawed, therefore its extreamly hard for us to resist temptation. thats why *MOST* people give into it......

[right][/right]

I didn't say people don't stumble and give in, I said the fact that we do stumble doesn't mean G-d wants it to happen.
G-d is not a man, that He should be deceitful, nor a son of man that He should change His mind. (Numbers 23:19)

The fear of the L-RD is the beginning of knowledge; foolish ones scorn wisdom and discipline. (Proverbs 1:7)

The beginning of wisdom is to aquire wisdom; from your every acquisition acquire understanding. (Proverbs 4:7)

XTorn2PiecesLPX
Veteran

God is suppost to know all, then wont he know before hand that we are gonna fuck up and that means that hes gonna know we're gonna cut b4 we do it...So if its a sin that he knows people are gonna commit before we do it then why have sin at all? He knows were gonna fuck up yet says we live an unholy life when we have temptation that he gives us. He already knows what were gonna do. Im not understanding "God's" logic...........

FiZzBaW
Veteran

Post by FiZzBaW »

Friend,

Determining if something is a sin may seem complicated, but it all boils down to if you must ask the question, then it is likely that it is not a good thing to be doing, maybe not a sin, but you prolly shouldn't be doing it.

The Link below may help you to determine for yourself if what you are doing is a sin. It basically asks questions, and its along the same lines as what others have posted here.

http://www.gotquestions.org/know-sin.html

-Best of Luck

-Jared

And just a little general reminder to those replying..... Please do not stray from the Topic at hand and be respectful of others opinions and beliefs....
Click to Email Me

AIM: fizzbaw05

Visit our Live Chat or use IRC: irc.helpingteens.org

----

"I helped save Jericho!" Facebook Group

_ofunsoundmind
Loyal

Post by _ofunsoundmind »

Yes, harming yourself is a sin. Your body is the temple of God, and it should be treated as such. I used to self-injure as well.

But DON'T WORRY! God is forgiving and if you are keeping your faith firm in Him then he WILL heal you. You will learn from this ordeal and will be stronger in Christ. I promise.
Ethan Riley Winters

born the 16th of August, 2002

weighing 7 pounds and 9 ounces

^ Our gift from God ^

I've always known this wasn't Home
-B.D.
5a5
Veteran

Post by 5a5 »

i get very upset when someone says that something they dont totally understand or are comfortable with is a sin, we dont cut because we're happy , we dont cut because we want to, we dont cut because we believe, we cut because of life, the same life that supposebly god made so beautiful and happy for us, so where's the logic in all that, when something we got from him makes us unhappy, we find ways to deal no shame in that, at least we choose life, plus forms of self harm were practiced hundreds years ago by deeply religious people , and if god chose to put pain in life then i dont think he'd have a problem with us dealing with it , we hurt ourselves not other people, that's a sacrifice not a sin
Now you'll find with everything you lose

Your path clears with everything you choose

Is there someway I can show you

The best is yet to come
!XogFog
Loyal

Post by !XogFog »

Originally posted by XTorn2PiecesLPX@Jul 12 2005, 10:13 AM

God is suppost to know all, then wont he know before hand that we are gonna fuck up and that means that hes gonna know we're gonna cut b4 we do it...So if its a sin that he knows people are gonna commit before we do it then why have sin at all? He knows were gonna fuck up yet says we live an unholy life when we have temptation that he gives us. He already knows what were gonna do. Im not understanding "God's" logic...........

[right][/right]

G-d isn't always easy to understand. I would guess that G-d puts us in these situations either as a result of our own choices or as a method to self-improvement; if you never experience something bad, you can't improve yourself, you can't appreciate what you have. Also, if there's no sin, there's no free will.

To the original poster: I would say that it's a gray area, at best, and so probably self-injury should be refrained from. But I know it's not as simple as "just not doing it." And if I know and understand, certainly G-d does too. He is merciful, and wants the best for you, and He is with you through this struggle, whether you can see Him or not.

turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub »

^Replying to the thing he quoted. :)

God gives us free will, dear. So He gives us situations where we will be tested. And yes, we do screw up sometimes. But He will always forgive us.

And to the original question:

No, I don't think cutting is a sin. I'm sure it makes God sad that you aren't happy with yourself and you are so low and such. I'm sure He would much prefer that you find another way to get through things (like talking to him). But I don't think it is a sin. It's a weakness, but not a sin.

:hug:
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

Romans 5:8 "God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Mother Theresa

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.
XTorn2PiecesLPX
Veteran

If he forgives us then why does it matter weither we sin or not, I mean hes always gonna forgive us so it really doesnt matter......

turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub »

Actually, it does. If we love God than we know that sin hurts Him and we don't want to hurt Him, so we don't sin.

Sin hurts God, bottom line. :P That's why we don't sin. (Try not to at least)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

Romans 5:8 "God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

hopeless_
Loyal

Post by hopeless_ »

Well, if I remember correctly from the minuscule knowledge I have on God and Christianity, if you sin and regret you are forgiven. But what if you sin again (assuming it's the same sin) and regret it again, but keep doing it in the end. Like cutting: I cut to cope, I fell better in the moment, because well, it made me bare the situation and feelings I was in. But then later I feel lke utter crap for doing that, and feel weak and ashamed, therefore I feel regret. That means I should be forgiven. But who am I kiddin' I'm eventually going to do it again, and I'm going to feel the same thing. Am I still being forgiven?
turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub »

Andy,

Yes. You will still be forgiven. God says that if you repent He will forgive you. As long as you make an effort not to cut again, then He will keep forgiving you even when you slip.

Hope that makes sense.

:hug: Hannah