Faith Vs. Family

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

SirPostAlot
Veteran

Faith Vs. Family

Post by SirPostAlot »

Just curious...we had a speaker at PFEW and he said that his faith was more important...he said that you can take away his family but you could never take away his faith...

i found it pretty insultful toward his family...

~Jeff~
FranklinF
Veteran

Re: Faith Vs. Family

Post by FranklinF »

Faith and more inportantly God.... faith is so general and can mean a number of things but God and Family are very close on the list sometimes God takes a backseat to family even though i know that is wrong-MARY
[center]Every once in a while, you stop in moments.

The ones that are life changing.

They edit your thinking.

They make your heart grow.

[/center]
Loyal

Post by 309756 »

I practice a different religion from my family; so I know what you mean.

They're evangelicals and I"m Unitarian.
_ofunsoundmind
Loyal

Post by _ofunsoundmind »

God comes first, then family

x Shelle
Ethan Riley Winters

born the 16th of August, 2002

weighing 7 pounds and 9 ounces

^ Our gift from God ^

I've always known this wasn't Home
-B.D.
turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub »

I think you should make a third choice to the poll, like "both are equal" or something. I almost clicked Faith on the poll, because I would like to believe that my faith in God is more important than ANYTHING. But can I honestly vote "faith" and say that I would rather have my family taken away than my faith? I don't know...

So I think there should be a choice c) not sure.

:) My thoughts.

<3 Hannah
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

Romans 5:8 "God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Mother Theresa

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.
!XogFog
Loyal

Post by !XogFog »

I aspire to "faith" but "family" might be more true.
G-d is not a man, that He should be deceitful, nor a son of man that He should change His mind. (Numbers 23:19)

The fear of the L-RD is the beginning of knowledge; foolish ones scorn wisdom and discipline. (Proverbs 1:7)

The beginning of wisdom is to aquire wisdom; from your every acquisition acquire understanding. (Proverbs 4:7)

PurplePoemPuppet
Veteran

Post by PurplePoemPuppet »

It does seem like your family should be more important over your faith in God. One way to consider this is IF you believe in God, do you hold the being who created life itself adn therefore you lower than the family who was meant to create you? Not having any faith in God may make his statement seem like he could care less about anything else in his life, however, people and family are in our lives and are important as well. In a sense, if you were to "worship" anything, it'd probably not be any sort of member of your family because people are fallible whereas God is perfect. If you're going to love any one more than the other, it would seem *logically* that you love what is perfect and not those who could easily turn on you because they are imperfect.

In any case, it's not that family isn't important. In the list of priorities God just has that little edge over your family. I don't know if this is a good analogy, but if you think of your favorite sport and your second favorite sport (or something), it's not like the second one is shirked, the first one you just have a little more love for.
Email: SMyers017@gmail.com

AIM: PurplePoemPuppet
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

yeah steph, that makes sence and all....its just that i listen to this statement and believe he is saying that he would give up his family to keep his faith...

hmm...i hope that makes sence...

~Jeff~
XTorn2PiecesLPX
Veteran

Post by XTorn2PiecesLPX »

Ok, what happens when you dont believe in god and your family doesnt believe in you...........I voted for my family because i dont believe in god, I agree with hannah, there should be a third choice.
Cause I am stricken and cant let you go ~Disturbed

The prettiest people do the ugliest things ~ K. West

Do you pull me up just to push me down again ~Mudvayne

And when Im gone just carry on, dont morn, rejoyce everytime you hear the sound of my voice just know that im lookin down on you smiling and i didnt feel a thing so baby dont feel my pain just smile back
Kit
Veteran

Post by Kit »

I don't really know how to answer that one. My family means a lot to me but they have also turned on me where God - hasn't..I turned on Him.

Sammi..
Email me If you ever need someone to talk to and I'm not online, drop me an E-mail. I'll get it on my phone!

Myspace Want to know more about me? Here's my myspace. You can see pictures of my family, and keep up with my life here.

I LOVE my Son Ethan who is 10 months old and my wonderful husband who is signing up for the Army!
LilyMaid
Loyal

Post by LilyMaid »

Since the role of religion in my life is negligible, my answer is that family is far more important to me than faith. I hold a humanist perspective, so it follows that I have much greater esteem for my human family than for my (absent) spiritual beliefs.

In everyday life, I interact with people who simply don't give religion much thought at all, so I am surprised to learn that religion takes priority for so many members.
LilyMaid
Loyal

Post by LilyMaid »

Double post.
Toy Soldier
Veteran

Post by Toy Soldier »

I honestly believe that family is more important than faith...if I had to make a choice between the two, I'm afraid it would be my faith which has to go. I believe faith is important, but I value my family more so...if you lose your family, nobody can ever replace them, if you loose them, you loose them...my thoughts.

~*~Ruth~*~
Ruth I was forgotten, I won't be forgotten, never again... says:

lol, dont think they have tigers on farmsthough :/

Angel Breaks says:

i was thinkin that but fuck it macdonald was progressive he knew tigers were the future
A! Elbereth
Needs Another Hobby

Post by A! Elbereth »

Depends on your faith and how devoted you are to it. For me, faith should come first.
Your soul.

Your body.

Your mind.

Keep it Purified.

But give me love over, love over, love over this... ~Coldplay

Dr. Wilson:
I forgot I needed a reason to give a crap.

Dr. House: You're actually giving two craps.

Dr. Wilson: The metric system always confused me.
_ofunsoundmind
Loyal

Post by _ofunsoundmind »

I should have ellaborated a bit with my answer, but I was getting ready to take Ethan to his grandma's house, so I apologize.

There is something called the "Divine Order." The order, according to some people, is as follows:

1. God

2. Marriage

3. Family

4. Church

5. Government

You're probably asking, "Why this order? How do I know that's how it's suposed to be?" The answer is this. Before God ever created the church, He created the family. Before God created the family, he created marriage (Adam & Eve). Before God created anything, it was Him.

I'm not telling you this is how you have to live your life. I'm not telling you this is what you have to believe. What you believe is fine. I'm not here to tell you you're "right" or "wrong." This is only what I believe.

I really believe that God was meant to be first in everyone's life. He gave His life for me, so the least I can do is to give that much back to Him. :)

x Shelle
Ethan Riley Winters

born the 16th of August, 2002

weighing 7 pounds and 9 ounces

^ Our gift from God ^

I've always known this wasn't Home
-B.D.
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

^ that makes sence, but i believe in evolution...haha...its more logical and actually proven factual, to a certain extent...

for those 5 i would put it in the order:

family

marriage

gov't

church

god

but thasts just me...

~Jeff~
Loyal

Post by 309756 »

Interesting. I disagree.... but I'm a materialist at heart.

So, different worldviews but same conclusion?

Cool.
!XogFog
Loyal

Post by !XogFog »

Originally posted by SirPostAlot@Jul 26 2005, 07:10 PM

^ that makes sence, but i believe in evolution...haha...its more logical and actually proven factual, to a certain extent...

for those 5 i would put it in the order:

family

marriage

gov't

church

god

but thasts just me...

~Jeff~

[right][/right]

Church before G-d? How do you arrive at that one?
G-d is not a man, that He should be deceitful, nor a son of man that He should change His mind. (Numbers 23:19)

The fear of the L-RD is the beginning of knowledge; foolish ones scorn wisdom and discipline. (Proverbs 1:7)

The beginning of wisdom is to aquire wisdom; from your every acquisition acquire understanding. (Proverbs 4:7)

__hazyxeyes
Loyal

Post by __hazyxeyes »

Well, I'm Buddhist. My family and I don't get along, but they're my family... I'd be nowhere without them. So, I choose family.
sorrow drips into your && there is comfort in the sound

Loyal

Post by 309756 »

Perhaps you can put church before God if your church doesn't mandate belief in God--mine doesn't.