Friend's Relationship

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

JazzIsLove
Loyal

Friend's Relationship

Post by JazzIsLove » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:38 pm

So my best friend is having problems w/ affection in her relationship (they have been dating for a year now. we are all 18 too).

First off, the household she grew up in was NOT affectionate in anyway...not horrible situation, just not affectionate.

Secondly, she's Lutheran I believe..but she's had it drilled into her head via the bible that experiencing any sort of pleasure (yes, even kissing) before marriage could send her to Hell. granted, she has done more than kissing (how much further, I don't know) but she feels this intense guilt after it..and it's hurting their relationship b/c her boyfriend is very affectionate.

I've tried to explain to her that if she's doing something w/ the one she loves..it's not 'wrong'. and that we are all forgiven in the end if we believe in jesus and god and such anyway..but she also believes, if she knows she's "sinning"..then she wont be forgiven.

Argh. How do I help her get over her guilt? she's a wonderful person and I don't personally believe anything bad could ever happen to her like Hell. She's trying very hard..but the guilt just catches up to her...argh *grumbles about literal translations of the bible some more..*

Thanks in advance :)
~ALLIE~

What you do speaks so loudly I cannot hear what you're saying

In the province of the mind, what one believes to be true either is true or becomes true

Brent <3 4/12/05

Kit
Veteran

Re: Friend's Relationship

Post by Kit » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:53 pm

If that's the way she believes then I don't think there's anything you can do. She has her beliefs and he should understand that. Also, tell her to find the scriputur in the Bible and tell her to define it for you. Then give her your views. See if she can define it in any other way. She needs to understand that the scriptures are there for her to define in her own way. It's just what SHE belives. If she doesn't think differently then respect that. Sadly, I think that if she doesn't figure it out another way, she will hurt the relationship.:( I hope you all work things out.

Sammi
Email me If you ever need someone to talk to and I'm not online, drop me an E-mail. I'll get it on my phone!

Myspace Want to know more about me? Here's my myspace. You can see pictures of my family, and keep up with my life here.

I LOVE my Son Ethan who is 10 months old and my wonderful husband who is signing up for the Army!

A! Elbereth
Needs Another Hobby

Post by A! Elbereth » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:13 pm

As long as she doesn't have sex...

What I think personally at least.
Your soul.

Your body.

Your mind.

Keep it Purified.

But give me love over, love over, love over this... ~Coldplay

Dr. Wilson:
I forgot I needed a reason to give a crap.

Dr. House: You're actually giving two craps.

Dr. Wilson: The metric system always confused me.

Loyal

Post by 309756 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:55 am

What's sex, and what is wrong?

I mean, I dunno. I'd have a hard time being with someone that religious. But I respect her decision and her morality. Maybe you should go through the Bible and show that the only prohibiton is technically against vaginal sex itself. That's before marriage, I mean.

I have a feeling that if Christians couldnd't have sex there wouldn't be so many of them today. Ask the Shakers. :-P

Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:52 am

Originally posted by JazzIsLove+Sep 14 2005, 06:38 PM--
[/right]

[/b]
Simple answer: Nothing. There's nothing you can do because it's not your problem to deal with. She's going to have to come to the realization that being involved in a loving, caring, mature relationship will naturally have physical side effects, and that not all of these side effects are wrong for the situation.

<!--QuoteBegin-pandasandpenguins[/i]@Sep 14 2005, 11:55 PM

What's sex, and what is wrong?

[right][/right]

[/quote]

Thanks Bill Clinton. :P

tJ
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.