Discusion Friend vs Religion

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

FranklinF
Veteran

Discusion Friend vs Religion

Post by FranklinF »

Does it matter to you hat religion your friends are? Whatabout you boyfriend/girlfriend, would you marry someone that doesnt have the same religious beliefs as you?

Ill go first, it doesnt matter to me what religion anyone is, I don't think religion is something thats important, I believe it is a personal path and decision, I am happy fo my friends who have found what they are looking for, and happy for those still looking.

My husband is sooooo not the same religion, I am christian, he is athiest, I support him, he annoys me sometimes by trying to convince me that my veiws are wrong. I wont try to change his beliefs. It's what is right for him.
[center]Every once in a while, you stop in moments.

The ones that are life changing.

They edit your thinking.

They make your heart grow.

[/center]
CausticTears
Veteran

Re: Discusion Friend vs Religion

Post by CausticTears »

Religion doesn't matter to me. Everyone has the right to their own opinion to religion. I think it's very interesting how we all have these different beliefs and allows us to be different. The only thing bothers me a lot of about religion is the people who get too swept up into it. People who think that is the only religion and only way to believe and therefore pressure it onto you. I don't think that is appropriate at all.
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

-Leo Buscaglia

[HT Chat Room ][ HT Articles ]

Get your badges
Kit
Veteran

Post by Kit »

My husband and I are two different beliefs. I stick with my native american and he is non denomination christian. Does it affect us? We had one blow up about it but we understand each others views and now we just move on from it or if we have questions we share the answers. As for my friends, well, I have mormon and jewish and even jahova's wittnes(sp?) many others and we respect eachother enough to leave eachother alone about it. Our friends just have to learn not to send me or my JW's friends christmas cards. lol
Email me If you ever need someone to talk to and I'm not online, drop me an E-mail. I'll get it on my phone!

Myspace Want to know more about me? Here's my myspace. You can see pictures of my family, and keep up with my life here.

I LOVE my Son Ethan who is 10 months old and my wonderful husband who is signing up for the Army!
Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena »

I have a lot of friends with different beliefs to my own and it doesn't affect our relationships at all. We all respect each others beliefs.

I do take a slightly different stance when it comes to a potential partner. In a life partner I would look for someone with a very similar outlook and values to those that I have, otherwise I think there would be potential for conflict and misunderstanding.

I realise the above sounds a little contradictory. I have very close friends with very different beliefs to mine and there is never any conflict or misunderstanding! However, I guess its down to the fact that life decisions with your partner can be dictated by religion and if they do not share the same beliefs (or lack of) it can be very hard to compromise. For example: how does a family with one Jewish parent and one Christian parent decide to raise their child? What happens when one person decides they would like to do missionary work and the other person is athiest and doesn't want to move to another country for the cause of a religion? These are rather black and white examples, I realise, and I know its possible to understand, respect and support your partner even when their beliefs are different. But for me, personally, I wouldn't want to compromise so much.

Take care,

Lena.
Woman can not live on tea or chocolate alone.... but she can give it a damn good try.
nirvana
Loyal

Post by nirvana »

I don't think religion matters, morals and values are important. I can't stand to be around disrespectful people.

Also, as far as having a family, having the same values and morals is extremely important.

I'm not terribly religious anyway, but I was raised christian. I have many friends of different faiths, and the only time it even comes up in conversation is out of curiosity as to what the other person's religion is like, and how it differs to your own.

I had a friend briefly, who tried to force his beliefs in God on me, I didn't appreciate, and told he so, he stopped right after :p
Next time you think you're perfect. Try walking on water
Eoin_The_Irish_Khajiit
Hooked On HelpingTeens

Post by Eoin_The_Irish_Khajiit »

I hate Islam. I hate Judaism, I hate Atheism, I hate alot of religions. But I judge based on the individual. Yah it's ok to hate religions, Just don't use that as a base to hate a person.
Last edited by Eoin_The_Irish_Khajiit on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.