Greek Gods And Godesses

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

darkdragonqueen
Loyal

Greek Gods And Godesses

Post by darkdragonqueen »

If any of you believe in and worship the Greek Gods and Godesses could you tell me about it? I'm curious because I'm thinking of switching to that religion, whatever it is...I'm not sure what it's called. Any information you have would be great. :)
iAmAStreaker
Veteran

Re: Greek Gods And Godesses

Post by iAmAStreaker »

:huh: Dude.
<span style="font-family:Arial"i'm sveta; pleased to meet you.
The Sage Nabooru
Loyal

Re: Greek Gods And Godesses

Post by The Sage Nabooru »

I certainly don't worship them, but I'm an archaeology aficionado, and I do know a lot about them. I always thought that if I were Greek (ancient Greek, that is), I'd worship Athena.

Athena is the goddess of wisdom, truth, and reason. She is a very charismatic goddess; she never married or bore children, but she led armies into battle - if they were fighting for a just cause, that is. She is the daughter of Zeus (king of the gods) and Leto, a mortal woman. She is also the goddess of arts, and the myth of Arachne stems from this: no-one could weave a tapestry as well as Athena, but Arachne boasted that she could. When Athena heard this, she challenged Arachne to a contest on the matter. Of course Athena wove the better tapestry, but although Arachne's work was flawless, it was also a flippant parody of Zeus and his wives. Athena, in a rage, struck Arachne with a shuttle (a tool for weaving tapestries on a loom), and turned her into a spider. Thus, today we call spiders and their kin "arachnids".

Besides Athena, the other main gods of Greece were: Zeus (king of the gods, god of thunder, lightening, and power), Hera (main and jealous wife of Zeus and his sister, goddess of childbirth, marriage, and oranges), Aphrodite (goddess of love and sex; has no relatives as she came out of the sea which bore her from the severed genitals of Uranus [the sky] when they were cast into the ocean), Artemis (goddess of the hunt and twin sister to Apollo, never married and sometimes a cold and pitiless goddess, her only love was Orion), Apollo (twin brother of Artemis, son of Zeus and Leto, an immortal woman; god of light, knowledge, and music), Hephaestus (son of Zeus and Hera; god of the forge and fire and husband of the reluctant Aphrodite), Ares (god of war and bloodshed; never popular among Greeks [described as "the barbarian's god, he was worshiped solely when in war]; son of Zeus and Hera and lover of Aphrodite), Demeter (sister of Zeus and Hera; goddess of the harvest, planting, and livestock; mother of Persephone, Queen of the Dead), Hades (brother of Zeus; god of the dead, money, and mining), Dionysus (son of Zeus and a mortal princess, Symele; god of wine, feasting, and merrymaking, often described as the god with the softest heart)......

This is getting long, so I'll stop now. :) Anyway, I don't think anyone worships the Greek gods today. I do know that Osiris and Isis, Egyptian divinities, have become popular in some New Age magic circles, but that's all I can tell you.
I love Alanis Morissette, The White Stripes, Sheryl Crow, The Beatles, Fiona Apple, Tori Amos, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Bjork, U2, and so many others that influence my music. Write if you are interested.