How much does birth actually hurt?

Scared you're pregnant? Already have a child or one on the way? Ask questions here...

Moderator: Sex & Relationships Moderators

Barbies are Evil
Veteran

How much does birth actually hurt?

Post by Barbies are Evil »

some people say it hurts ALOT, some people say just take the epudirual they offer you, some say it doesn't hurt that much. For all the HT moms, how much did birth actually hurt?
TJ[10:13 PM]: no not really..... it's all so.... like wow..... screw steps, you took a fuckin jet pack and strapped it on yourself and rocketed your way forward (thats my big bro)

And I'm going to extremes

Tomorrow I will change

And today won't mean a thing

I'm a bitch, I'm a tease

I'm a goddess on my knees

When you hurt, when you suffer

I'm your angel undercover

I've been numb, I'm revived

Can't say I'm not alive

You know I wouldn't want it any other way

Meredith Brooks-Bitch
FranklinF
Veteran

Re: How much does birth actually hurt?

Post by FranklinF »

yeah i was in alot of pain, but it was also forced as i was induced with pitocin and they upped the dose every hour, i think i would have been able to go longer without the epi had i not been on pitocin... but really everyones threshhold for pain is different so people take it differently, the most important thing to know is there are resources if the pain gets bad whether it is the all natural breathing way or by meds
[center]Every once in a while, you stop in moments.

The ones that are life changing.

They edit your thinking.

They make your heart grow.

[/center]
Saren
Veteran

Post by Saren »

Hmm. Well I didn't go through it the natural way. I had a C-Section. Actually, funny thing. The day I had it I was having actual contractions, and was very late dilating. My water had been broken for HOURS, and by the time I would have been able to give birth, it would have been VERY VERY painful, and it would have been a dry birth. But I'll tell you, when they say you're lucky to have a C-Section, it can be just as bad. Just because you go through surgery to get a baby out in numbness, does not mean there's no after affect. For weeks after that you feel it. The worst week is the first. You can hardly walk at all, and the day after they don't really expect you to get up and move around, but the day after they want you to get in the practice of it. Let me tell you, you don't feel like going far. It feels like your insides are gonna fall out EVERY step you make.

But I have to admit, it was the best week of my life. I would never trade it for ANYthing in the world.
<3

My beautiful baby girl

Autumn E. R-K.

Born on: February 26th, 2007

<3

----------------------

"Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love, the clarity of hatred, and the ecstasy of grief."

TooManyScars
Loyal

Post by TooManyScars »

I haven't had any children of my own, but I am a nurse and witnessed several births during nursing school. Some moms were pros and had had 3 kids already not using pain meds for any of them. Some moms had their first kid with no pain meds and did totally fine (Not that they were singing the soundtrack to the sound of music while they were in labor...but you know... lol). Other moms didn't do as well with or without pain meds. It really just depends on what type of person you are. If you know that you don't handle pain well, go for the epidural when they offer it. That allows them to closely titrate the pain medication by having like a little IV in your spinal space. After a certain point, they aren't able to do an epidural anymore. So if you know that you don't tolerate pain well... go for the epidural even if the pain isn't too bad yet. If you tolerate pain ok, then you don't necessarily need an epidural. They can give you milder drugs or none at all depending on how you are feeling. My mom never used drugs giving birth to her three... many of the older generation gave birth naturally without pain killers and still say giving birth was one of the most amazing experiences of their lives.

One thing to consider is that if you do use an epidural, it can extend your labor... making it take longer. You aren't able to feel the contractions as well so it is harder to time the pushing and get the baby out. Just a point to ponder.

Kelli
Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena »

Authorities vary on this (some dismiss it as an urban myth), but pain can vary depending on the size of the baby. My mother will certainly tell you this is so.

I was a small baby (I came a month early). My mother found my birth was relatively easy and shocked the nurses just hours after she had given birth by saying 'I want another'. They were stunned that she could say she wanted to go through it all again so quickly. :rolleyes:

However. My brother was a large baby and the pain was apparently (correspondingly) worse.

I'm so glad I was first. :D

Take care,

Lena.
Woman can not live on tea or chocolate alone.... but she can give it a damn good try.
Beautiful
Veteran

Post by Beautiful »

hahahahaha

i didn't have any pain medication at all for labor & delivery

it wasn't bad at all though.

i've gone threw worse shit :P
Little Miss F*cker,

Don't Move An Inch

I looked at myself

So many things I hate in me

So many things are so hard to believe

I can hear the whole world calling me

Used to be all that i wanted

You to see all that i you to be

does anyone care

Add me.

myspace

*Jamie*

Travis Michael <3.

Born Feb 9th, 2007

He has owns heart. :)
WhOaMi?
Loyal

Post by WhOaMi? »

I have not had a baby, but one of my friends did and she said the pain was awful, but once you see the face of the baby you created the pain melts away...