In vetro fertilization

Scared you're pregnant? Already have a child or one on the way? Ask questions here...

Moderator: Sex & Relationships Moderators

Bleeding~Hero
Loyal

In vetro fertilization

Post by Bleeding~Hero »

I'm working on a final essay for my Sociology class (its my favorite class, so i want to go out with a bang!) The topic I've chosen is only one of the most controversial topics to date: Gay Parenting, and though I may be YEARS away (god willing) from having to learn about this topic first hand, Im researching it now. Recently I've heard rumors that the budding medical science of In Vetro Fertilization is having an impact in the gay community. I'm having some problems getting information online though.

If anyone knows the answer to this question, please reply. This dishy bit of info would cover at least an entire 1/5 of my giant essay. I want to know if it's possible for two men to put there sperm together with a donor egg to create a baby that would have BOTH their DNA, and if a woman can give her DNA to her female partner's egg to create a baby with BOTH their DNA.
Skye
Veteran

Re: In vetro fertilization

Post by Skye »

[quote name='Bleeding~Hero;493461']If anyone knows the answer to this question, please reply. This dishy bit of info would cover at least an entire 1/5 of my giant essay. I want to know if it's possible for two men to put there sperm together with a donor egg to create a baby that would have BOTH their DNA, and if a woman can give her DNA to her female partner's egg to create a baby with BOTH their DNA.[/quote]

In theory if we had perfect knowledge of the human genome, yes, we could modify the genome of the resulting child to have both mens traits. HOWEVER, we do not. It would have to be only one of them--i.e. one male impregnating the willing female surrogate--which in itself is illegal in several state--for profit or otherwise. Simple answer: No. Completely impossible with current medical technology and something that abstract and obtuse and tangent from the mainstream medical community may never be researched. It's morally unconscionable to a lot of people even if you don't throw the "gay" word.

What you seek is a designer baby either way you spin it.

If it strikes your interest I'd recommend looking up epigenetics too.
HelpingTeens.org:

I can't think of a better use of server resources...I really can't.