The Pill

Got questions about sex, relationships, or something related? Ask them here!

Moderator: Sex & Relationships Moderators

Halo_n_Horns
Veteran

The Pill

Post by Halo_n_Horns »

I need opinions from people! My boyfriend and I recently started having sex....we use condoms but im still totally paranoid about getting pregnant (I even took the morning after pill one time even when the chance was mega slim).

I'm wondering if perhaps I should go on the pill. What do you think? Is it worth it? Are the side effects as bad as some people make out?

I just think id feel happier having some extra form of birth control instead of only condoms.
<span style="font-family:Geneva"

TEACHERS PET

nevermindmylife
Loyal

Re: The Pill

Post by nevermindmylife »

the pill is much better for your body than the morning after pill. I truly think the pill is absolutely wonderful and totally worth it, the piece in mind is so nice to have. You just have to make sure you take it the same time all the time.

The side affects are different for everyone, for me (and I use alesse) I gained about 2-3 pounds because of it (but who cares about 2-3 pounds), and I have become much more emotional and moody, but that's it. And those side affects are not bad. I would suggest at least trying it, and if the side affects are bad, then going off it. Also, I would suggest going to see a doctor before you go on it. I actually get my pills right from my doc (for free!) every 3 months, and she checks my blood pressure at this time too (because the pill can increase your blood pressure).

Any hoo, I hope that helped.

If you have any more questions just pm me :)

<span style=\'color:red\'be sure to stay strong

for hope is always coming right along

PurplePoemPuppet
Veteran

Post by PurplePoemPuppet »

I just got on the pill and all my roommates are on the pill. One of the girls said that her sex drive just completely dropped. So make sure that if you were to get on the pill and you notice this kind of thing, to try and get on a different pill. There's different kinds.

Another roommate had some nausea, but she has a fairly weak stomach as it is. For the most part you're going to love the peace of mind you'll have despite the side effects. I'd recommend using a condom as a secondary precaution.

Your doctor will go over a lot of information, your medical history, etc. to make sure that you're ready to take it and should check up with you when you've started taking to it to make sure there aren't any adverse side effects.

All in all you'll probably very satisfied and much happier if you choose to get on the pill. The side effects hardly measure up to the positives of taking the pill.

Email: SMyers017@gmail.com

AIM: PurplePoemPuppet
Halo_n_Horns
Veteran

Post by Halo_n_Horns »

Thank you both for your advice. I agree- I think the peace of mind will be good, especially since I'm paranoid about getting pregnant.

I was just concerned as I read that the pill can cause blood clots and increase chances of breast cancer.

TEACHERS PET

Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena »

I'm not on the pill for conventional reasons but to reduce heavy periods, create a more regular cycle and improve the condition of my skin. I've only been on it a while but I've had no problems at all.

There is a very very slightly increased risk of breast cancer and thrombosis/blood clots, however it is only very slightly more than the average risk factor when you're not on the pill. Also take into consideration that teenagers and women in their twenties are highly unlikely to get breast cancer in any case. If there are genetic links to breast cancer and heart problems in the family, you'll be advised not to take the pill (as that would increase the risks more than usual) but apart from that its usually found to be very safe. Whoever prescribes the pill will ensure that it is safe and suitable for you before you take it. I would talk through any concerns with them. :)

Take care,

Lena.
Woman can not live on tea or chocolate alone.... but she can give it a damn good try.
nevermindmylife
Loyal

Post by nevermindmylife »

if you are concerned about stuff like that I would suggest you do the same thing I do, and get your pills from your doctor, so that way every 3 months your doctor can do a quick check on you.

<span style=\'color:red\'be sure to stay strong

for hope is always coming right along

RockNpUnKchic123
Loyal

Post by RockNpUnKchic123 »

well i was on the pill and i gained 7 pounds and it did nothing to regulate my cycle or anything, but once i switched to the patch [ Ortho Evra ] my cycle is regular and ive had no pregnancy scares. :] oh and i lost the weight that came with the pill. aside from that the pill is a daily thing if im not mistaken...the one i took was...the patch is weekly. Its like a little sticker you put on every week. It stays on through the shower and everything. This is just another of the many birth control methods and its also the one i prefer. :]
Oh, you are the roots that sleep beneath my feet

And hold the earth in place

Each time a faucet opens

Words are spoken

The water runs away

And I hear your name

No, nothing has changed

There was this book I read and loved

The story of a ship

Who sailed around the world and found

That nothing else exists

Beyond his own two sails and wooden shell

And what is held within

All else is sure to pass

We clutch and grasp

And debate what's truly permanent

But when the wind starts to shift

Well, there's no argument
InnocenceLost57
Veteran

Post by InnocenceLost57 »

Be CAREFUL with the patch though - it gives you like 65% more hormones than you need, and is being considered for pulling off the market. When I had it, every time I put it back on I was sick like clockwork 24 hours later, throwing up and being nauseous for a good 4 or 5 hours straight. Not fun.

There are lots of options and I've looked into a lot of them; I'm on the NuvaRing right now, because I don't have to worry about sex but it does help with periods, etc. The pill really is the best way to go, because you can control the dosage, etc. I just can't remember to take it every day! Haha.

Good luck though, let us know what you decide.
One minute there was road beneath us

The next just sky

Reach up

And let's propose a toast

To the thing that hurts you most

( /)

(O.o) Copy bunny into your signature to help

( <) him achieve world domination

/_|_
Halo_n_Horns
Veteran

Post by Halo_n_Horns »

Thanks you guys... I decided to go on the pill and took my first one today. I figured it was best to have peace of mind as im a compulsive worrier!!!

thanks x

TEACHERS PET