How can we make HT more GLBTQ friendly?

This forum is for Lesbians, Gays, Bi-sexuals, Transgenders or members that are questioning their sexual orientation or gender identity. This forum is a safe haven and is open to all members, straight or otherwise, who are curious about sexuality.

Moderator: Sex & Relationships Moderators

Sam!
Veteran

How can we make HT more GLBTQ friendly?

Post by Sam! » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:20 am

As a LGBTQ person and site administrator, it is important to me that HelpingTeens is able to successfully serve as a resource and a safe haven for the sensitive issues that LGBTQ teens are faced with every day.

While this site is not primarily about LGBTQ issues, we do have a forum dedicated to the subject.

Some ideas I've come up with:

1. Add "Other" to the mandatory forum gender thread for those who do not want to state Male or Female as their gender. This has been implemented.

2. Retooling the name and description of this particular forum to make it more clear what it's about. This has been implemented.

3. Posting more articles on LGBTQ related topics that can be useful to members.

4. An FAQ thread educating other members about LGBTQ terminology, and some of the issues faced by teenagers today.

Please let me know if there is anything else we here at HT can do on top of these possible things to make you more comfortable here on the site.
-Sam!