#teenadvice

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
Rob
Needs Another Hobby

#teenadvice

Post by Rob »

To make things clear, I'm Alcohol in the following conversation.

[17:41:39] <Alcohol It looks illiterate, it tends to bring confusion, and honestly, plain English is just so much better.

[17:41:44] <suze its alot quicker

[17:41:54] <@Die51 Alcohol, Must you be a asshole to everyone? ;)

[17:42:04] <Alcohol Yea

[17:42:11] <Alcohol It's fun.

[17:42:44] <Alcohol suze: Quicker. So you're implying you're lazy?

[17:42:49] <@Die51 Well you get lots of people complaining about you, lol..

[17:42:59] <Alcohol I bet I can type proper English faster then you can type your internet slang.

[17:43:08] <suze im not so sutre

[17:43:21] <Alcohol And I will look less retarded in the end.

[17:43:32] <suze he called me a restard btw

[17:43:35] <@Die51 I think we get more complaints about you than anybody else, and we're pretty much told to kick you without warning :P

[17:43:36] <suze by the way

[17:43:49] <Alcohol restard?

[17:43:55] <Alcohol More internet slang?

[17:44:08] <suze i measn restard

[17:44:09] <suze mean

[17:44:18] <Alcohol Personally, I think force of habit kicks in when you start using internet slang.

[17:44:23] <suze sorry icant get cevery word right but im not perfect

[17:44:32] <Alcohol It's all too easily to start doing the same thing in letters, essays, etc.

[17:44:48] <Alcohol suze: You rarely get a whole sentence right, so I forgive you.

[17:44:57] <@Die51 Alcohol, Lay off please.

[17:45:14] <suze c what i mean he was old bout this yesterday from sc

[17:45:36] <Alcohol I was done earlier, she asked me just a bit ago though why, what, and since when we've been arguing.

[17:45:47] <Alcohol In other words, she brought it all up. Don't look at me.

[17:45:50] <suze told i mean told

[17:46:11] <suze u shud bann him hes always horrible

[17:46:13] <@Die51 Just lay off, ok? Let the topic die :/

[17:46:18] <Alcohol Will do :)

[17:46:35] <@Die51 Suze - I'm a newer mentor and really dont like to kick people anyways

[17:47:21] <suze but hes been nasty to me

[17:47:24] <suze since i first met him

[17:47:30] <@Die51 I broke the internet slang habit when I found I wanted to write it on actual school papers... -laughs-

[17:47:42] <Alcohol Die51: My point exactly :P

[17:47:45] <@Die51 He's equaly nasty to everyone. :/

- 9. In all official channels, only the language of English will be

- used. All users using any other languages, other than English,

- will be warned and then banned.

---

No offense meant, but 'internet slang' does not constitute as English to me. I know I'm weird, but hey, I get annoyed when people type like an illiterate 6 year old.

Oh and for the record, please don't bring up any "English isn't my primary language" excuses, cause it isn't mine either.

And yes, I may be a jerk generally, but at least I'm honest, and straight forward. And I do care about others.. just not those who annoy me. -_-
Teardrop
Loyal

Re: #teenadvice

Post by Teardrop »

Who took the fucking jam out of your doughnut?

These people are illiterate, hence their piss-poor grasp of the English language. You could waste your time trying to get teach these mongoloids, or you could ignore it entirely. The end result is going to be the same.
i watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor.

that's my dream, that's my nightmare.

crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving.
unoshawty
Veteran

Post by unoshawty »

Originally posted by Teardrop@Aug 22 2003, 10:04 AM

These people are illiterate, hence their piss-poor grasp of the English language. You could waste your time trying to get teach these mongoloids, or you could ignore it entirely. The end result is going to be the same.
I agree wholeheartedly uh huh uh huh
RIP Pat N. Glassman

<span style=\'color:gray\'My car is SOOO much better than yours =)

TCCA Ya heard?
Rob
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Rob »

I must say, you took the words out of my mouth. But then again, I was trying to refrain from being too rude. Thanks though ;)
fightforjay99
Loyal

Post by fightforjay99 »

those people need to go back to school and only be taught english courses. i hate it when people talk like that
Bite ME im a tormented individual

whats one more fall when ur me whats one more skinned knee to bleed

Open your eyes and find urself. Before u decide where u belong decide if that is the only place u want to hide. A place to hide and to dry all the tears away
whats one more place flee
archers_angel
Veteran

Post by archers_angel »

Yes yes, I'm sure we are all fully aware of how incorrect use of the English Language irritates alot of people. HOWEVER, when people come into the chat for help, thats what they want. HELP. not criticism.

If someone has a problem, they might be nervous (and therefore not typing as correctly as they should be) or just fidgety and irrational. You aren't there to be an English teacher, thats not your job. Let people type how they want. Its readable, IF you take that extra bit of time, effort and care to decipher it. Its not that hard really.

If they're not in school, why should they talk/ type like it?
junglemonkey
Veteran

Post by junglemonkey »

As I've said before, when words become longer ... like turning sexy to sexay, or it takes you significantly longer to decipher what the person is saying, it's become ridiculous.

I don't mind things like 'btw' or 'lol' but sometimes it just defeats the purpose of abbreviating.
I traded my dreams for this mess of memories

And they just stopped working for me...

DeviantART Profile (A lame attempt at photography, lol)

Myspace
She
Veteran

Post by She »

Yes, these people are illiterate. It's rather annoying to hold conversations with them. But hey, you can't take away somebody's priviledges for it. I mean, if you don't like it, don't talk to them. Plenty of people aren't bothered by it.
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

--Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
Ashley
Loyal

Post by Ashley »

big deal....why do you let petty things like that get to you? it doesn't really matter.
yzarc
Breathe_In_For_Luck7
Veteran

Post by Breathe_In_For_Luck7 »

Haha! Rob you rock. I agree with you.
iAmAStreaker
Veteran

Post by iAmAStreaker »

Originally posted by AlternativeFairy@Aug 22 2003, 12:19 PM

Haha! Rob you rock. I agree with you.
Ditto. :lol:
<span style="font-family:Arial"i'm sveta; pleased to meet you.
four
Veteran

Post by four »

We will never make slang against the rules. It is just absurd. You can decipher what the people are saying, and if they feel more comfortable typing like that, then you should just suck it up like the rest of us.
NAAM
NunchakuSteve
Veteran

Post by NunchakuSteve »

Ashley
Loyal

Post by Ashley »

gah!

*pulls out a knife*.........*shck shck shck!*
yzarc
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

i use the "slang" or short words like bout, lol, btw, fyi, omg, wtf, etc...i mean it makes it alot quicker to type...i try not to use it here on TH (see theres a shortetend slang) but when i am in the chats or on ICQ i use it all the time...

and personally, i think it is completly and utterly sad that you would even think about banning someone for using "slang"...
iAmAStreaker
Veteran

Post by iAmAStreaker »

But it's highly annoying. Jeez. It's not that hard to type out the words. It's NOT. There is no reason that you must abbreviate easy and simple words in the English language. The only word that I think can be an exception is lol. It's just weird to say 'laugh out loud'. Heh.
<span style="font-family:Arial"i'm sveta; pleased to meet you.
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

sorry, this post has been bugging me...so i thought i would leave a little more feedback

these "retardes" whom you all are claming illeritate use these shorted words to make it quicker and it works...i mean if you want to spend 1 hour per post by capitalizing each word that needs capitalizing and making sure that each word is spelled right by sending it through the grammer / spelling error, then go ahead, but don't be making fun of the people who don't do that...i use those abbreviations all of the time...i mean w/o them the internet wouldn't be the internet...i use them and did go through english class, i do get A's, and i can read a thick book w/o pics...alright...i am literate and i use abreviations!

i know that i was prob. exagerating when i said 1 hour, and i apolige to those who i offended, but i still find it appoling that you would evan think tat!

ahh, this is just bugging me soo much!! i mean whould you go to a post to ban everyone who didnt do something eles that bugs you? would you go to any random post and ban people because there name starts w/ a "S", becuz thats pretty much wat you are doing...you are just picking one random thing that bugs you and are trying to change everyone by saying that they should be banned becuase they do soemthing that you don't agree w/...they use shortcuts...they use slang...they use abbreviations!!!!!!!!

well i am sorry rob and all of the others who agree w/ him...life is not 100% perfect...there are going to be some little things that stick out everywhere that will get on your nerver...it will be there...if you don't like it, well i don't know wat to say...

i will prob. get banned or warned for 1. using abeveations or 2. offending someone...well i am sorry i did both alright...
liquidlime
Loyal

Post by liquidlime »

Originally posted by Teardrop@Aug 22 2003, 09:04 AM

what's wrong with mongoloids? <_<

i try to just ignore it
<span style=\'color:orange\'Reality is the original Rorschach.
unoshawty
Veteran

Post by unoshawty »

Originally posted by Annoyance@Aug 22 2003, 07:12 PM

sorry, this post has been bugging me...so i thought i would leave a little more feedback

these "retardes" whom you all are claming illeritate use these shorted words to make it quicker and it works...i mean if you want to spend 1 hour per post by capitalizing each word that needs capitalizing and making sure that each word is spelled right by sending it through the grammer / spelling error, then go ahead, but don't be making fun of the people who don't do that...i use those abbreviations all of the time...i mean w/o them the internet wouldn't be the internet...i use them and did go through english class, i do get A's, and i can read a thick book w/o pics...alright...i am literate and i use abreviations!

i know that i was prob. exagerating when i said 1 hour, and i apolige to those who i offended, but i still find it appoling that you would evan think tat!

ahh, this is just bugging me soo much!! i mean whould you go to a post to ban everyone who didnt do something eles that bugs you? would you go to any random post and ban people because there name starts w/ a "S", becuz thats pretty much wat you are doing...you are just picking one random thing that bugs you and are trying to change everyone by saying that they should be banned becuase they do soemthing that you don't agree w/...they use shortcuts...they use slang...they use abbreviations!!!!!!!!

well i am sorry rob and all of the others who agree w/ him...life is not 100% perfect...there are going to be some little things that stick out everywhere that will get on your nerver...it will be there...if you don't like it, well i don't know wat to say...

i will prob. get banned or warned for 1. using abeveations or 2. offending someone...well i am sorry i did both alright...
Thats what we're talking about. You spelled a whole bunch wrong in that post. Can you just go back and re-read what you post?! Makes a lot of jobs easier. You wouldn't spell like that on a job application, would you?!

And as for "people come here ...." comment,

how are we supposed to help them when we dont know what the hell they're saying?!
RIP Pat N. Glassman

<span style=\'color:gray\'My car is SOOO much better than yours =)

TCCA Ya heard?
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

slang is fine

Why would 12 to 20 year olds all type in perfect proper english? Some even have english as a second language.

LAY OFF

I type in slang all the time, but on a nice formal report i can easily type proper english. I can type either way fast, but using short forms like ppl is easier and faster, and when it doesnt count on a report or what not, why not use it?

Second, for the posts and msgs you cannot read or understand, where the user takes time to alternate caps and small case, then just forget about it.

Yes a lot of slang is annoying, like emily's fo sho or whatever the fuck it is - that is in my opinion, dumb, there is no way i could tell that is a word or what not and i had to ask emily about that. but ppl, lol, wtf, and the other "standard" ones are fine.

"A person is smart. People are dumb, dangerous, panicky, stupid animals and you know it" MIB
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.