"clerks" Editing Trouble

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
Toast960
Loyal

"clerks" Editing Trouble

Post by Toast960 »

I'm still very involved with my old high school's drama program since I'm very passionate about acting. My old high school drama teacher told me he recently viewed the Kevin Smith film "Clerks" on my reccomendation and liked it very much, despite the very harsh language. He told me he was interested in doing "Clerks" as a play at school since it is a good story worth attepting and set would be easy. Only thing is I have to edit a script without all the curse words and taking out a few things here and there. It seems to work pretty well and I have most of the movie still intact with edits over many "f" words and such. Only one thing is bothering me. The scene where Dante's girlfriend informs him that she's sucked off 37 guys. I can't really take it out since it's kinda an important scene yet I can't leave it in since it's a high school thing. Any suggestions? I'm kinda stuck...

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
To Liz, my one and only - May our love last forever :)

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.." - Jack Kerouac, "On The Road"
FryGuy
Veteran

Re: "clerks" Editing Trouble

Post by FryGuy »

My suggestion, leave it in. It may be a high school thing, but they teach the Scarlet Letter in school so that should be acceptable. If not pull a comedy central Half baked and used feet instead of dicks.

Dante: My girlfriend sucked thirty-seven feet!

Customer: In a row?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors" ~Plato

.533K:

"One death is a tragedy,

One million deaths is a statistic" ~Joseph Stalin
FryGuy
Veteran

Post by FryGuy »

Yes he did, and I gave the best answer I could being as I don't think ANY Kevin Smith screenplay should be edited. Especially something as great as Clerks.

But my suggestion still stands if you're forced to edit.

Dante: Hey, try not to suck any feet on the way through the parking lot!!

Loiterer follows Dantes Girlfriend.

Dante to loiterer: Hey you, come back here!!!!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors" ~Plato

.533K:

"One death is a tragedy,

Toast960
Loyal

Post by Toast960 »

Well, if I were to go with the feet thing, how do I explain snowballing, lol

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.." - Jack Kerouac, "On The Road"
FryGuy
Veteran

Post by FryGuy »

You don't, you leave Willam out of the whole thing. I have a feeling you'll be severly editing the scene where Veronica fucks the dead old guy, so you probably won't show the part where Willam gets in the ambulence with Veronica and the dead guy and then puts his hat over the dead guys erection.

Snowballing wasn't a major plot point, so it'd be easy to cut out.

.533K:

"One death is a tragedy,

four
Veteran

Post by four »

Rofl... how are you going to do the movie in high school? At least half of the movie deals with things that you simply cannot say in a highschool play. I hate to say it, but I do not think you will be able to pull this off.
NAAM
FryGuy
Veteran

Post by FryGuy »

I think he could, but it would suck so bad George Washington would turn over in his grave. That's how bad it would suck, George Washington didn't write it and he would still turn over in his grave.

.533K:

"One death is a tragedy,

Kiyotie
Veteran

Post by Kiyotie »

Moved to General School

And sorry, I'm not very active in my school plays or anything so I can't help you...
Whatever our failings may be, we need not lower our eyes in the presence of Jesus...Jesus comes not for the super-spiritual but for the wobbly and the weak-kneed who know they don't have it all together, and who are not too proud to accept the handout of amazing grace. As we glance up, we are astonished to find the eyes of Jesus open with wonder, deep with understanding, and gentle with compassion.

Cormamin lindua ele lle, Heruamin.
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

Personally, i feel that, that play shouldn't be in a highschool if you are going to edit it. I mean that play is a wonderful play, but being edited, i don't know....Go with a more nuetral vulgar play. Our school does plays like South Pacific, Mash, ect.

Please leave the info about what happened.....

---Best Wishes---

Ohh, and i think that it is neat that you still socialize and help out w/ your high school :)
Toast960
Loyal

Post by Toast960 »

Well, first off, it's Caitlen who fucks the dead guy, not Veronica. Secondly, that is a pivital point of the movie. It sucks majorly cause I have to take out the car conversation to the funeral and my personal fav scene, hockey on the roof. I'm having to add in dialouge to explain what has happened and it royally sucks!!!!! I feel blasphemous for adding dialouge to such a work of art. Hopefully he'll think it sucks and just shelf the idea. We'd already have to rearrange the way Quick Stop and RST look inside to give Jay and Silent Bob their moments and I'm taking out so many cuss words, it's unreal.

andi
Loyal

Post by andi »

since it is a h.s thing i suggest u change it to KISSED 37 guys instead of sucked off...it gets the point across, w/out being inaapropirate...
"These are the days worth living, these are the years worth giving, these are the moments, these are the times, lets make the most out of our lives"