Looking For Opinions On An Interesting Topic

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

Elf-lord

Looking For Opinions On An Interesting Topic

Post by Elf-lord »

Now, you all must know of the famous painting, the Mona Lisa. It is one of the most famous paintings in history. It's a beautiful work of art, that captured a perfect expression. This painting is especially famous for the woman's smile. Many are the references made to the "Mona Lisa smile." It's because this smile reflects the beauty of nature, its a modest smile, yet it reflects the beauty of the world around us, the beauty of humanity. For these reasons, it is one of the most famous works of art of all times.

Now I want you to consider something. What if another artist decided to add his touch to the painting. Say he decides to change it just a bit. He looks at that smile, and thinks: "Hmmm...she would look good if you could see her teeth as she smiles, if she had a 'teeth-showing' smile." So, he goes to the museum, takes his paints, and adds his touch to it. He paints over this world-famous painting, changing the famous "Mona Lisa smile" by making her grinning instead of that modest smile. He has altered something that has been know in its original form for generations and generations.

So, people go to the museum and look at it. Some people might like it this way. THey might prefer the grinning Mona Lisa to the smiling one. But a lot of people would be saddened. Here is a work of art that has been famous for its beauty. And now it has been altered. Maybe the change looks good, maybe it looks bad. But it has been changed in a way that can't be undone. This beautiful painting that we have known for hundreds of years, has lost its value. It is now just another piece of art in the gallery. Now there's nothing special about it. It is no longer that beautiful artwork that is world famous. Perhaps it still looks good, but it doesn't change the fact that now that it has been altered, it is no longer that well-known painting that reflected the beauty of humanity, that modest smile.

What do you think of this? If someone altered this painting, how would you feel about it? What would people think? If it lost its value in this way, would it be right? Would it be right for an artist to come out and change the original painting like that, the painting famous for its originality? How would it impact society for this famous piece of art to lose it's meaning and value? Please post your replies on what you think, because I am very curious about how you would feel.

*Oh yes, and mods? Please don't lock this or put it in another location. This is leading to a discussion of a current event. I'm just starting off this way.

"The wrath of the Elves is upon you!"
IEatBabies
Loyal

Re: Looking For Opinions On An Interesting Topic

Post by IEatBabies »

why do i have a feeling that this is going to relate to gay marriage somehow...

btw i like your sig
ToraToraTora
Veteran

Post by ToraToraTora »

Originally posted by IEatBabies@Apr 2 2004, 03:47 PM

why do i have a feeling that this is going to relate to gay marriage somehow...

btw i like your sig

or perhaps it will relate to the change in the pledge of allegience.

We shall soon see. At least, I hope we do.

btw bertuzzi got a VERY fair punishment.
Wheee. I'm Hyper-Emo.

ΔΦ of ΔΚΕ #981 Class of 2004

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

Sir Winston Churchill
ToraToraTora
Veteran

Post by ToraToraTora »

I'm growing impatient...I want something relevent.
Wheee. I'm Hyper-Emo.

ΔΦ of ΔΚΕ #981 Class of 2004

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

Sir Winston Churchill
Tree Fingers
Loyal

Post by Tree Fingers »

No, the alternation would not be appreciated..at all. Not by anyone. It's adorning is NOT based on its beauty, and the expression itself has always been considered bland. But that's just it, it's averageness, its simplicity, construed into a most detailed illustration of a person who is half Da Vinci and half a past lover (as some assume) makes it so precious.

Now, if this relates to gay marriage, please pay close attention. Your argument is irrelevant because the gay marriage issue is a federal issue, not a religious issue. It is about a union being respected equally by the government with all the benefits and rights. It is a LEGAL matter.