Opportunity To Cheat

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
archers_angel
Veteran

Opportunity To Cheat

Post by archers_angel »

I have a load of massive exams coming up in January, and I'm really worried. I'm really far behind on my course, and dont know anything. etc etc

Anyway, today, my "teacher" had a class of 11 of us, and was talking to us about how the exams go, and mentioned that she had the questions in front of her. She then said she felt like a cigarette, so she was going outside to smoke, and would be back in 8mins. She left the questions on the desk, facing upwards.

We discussed whether she had done it intentionally- a teacher leaving in the middle of class to go for a smoke is completely unheard of, and she knew she was leaving the questions on the desk. Some of us decided she wanted us to cheat, so we did. (5 out of 11 of us, to be exact. The others refused)

I'm fully aware they might not be the 'real' questions, so I'll revsie anyway, but I dont feel guilty about what I've done.

What would you have done?
Paris In Flames
Veteran

Re: Opportunity To Cheat

Post by Paris In Flames »

Hmmm...

You know what? I would do it. If somebody is stupid enough to leave the opportunity to do it, then why not, you know? I know I'm intelligent enough to pass any test that's placed in front of me as long as I've had the proper background in it, but a little extra help along the way...doesn't phase me.

Cheers,

Jenna
xMOSHx xHELLA HARDCOREx xBREAKDOWNx

The tragedy is the ignorance behind the clean casket

On the outside, they look so good

They're walking to Wallstreet in a straightjacket...
Sam!
Veteran

Post by Sam! »

Or maybe.. it was a test to see how many of you would cheat and who was honorable. Hmmm.
-Sam!
archers_angel
Veteran

Post by archers_angel »

Yeah, we thought it could be that. Funnily enough, the class I was in was called "morality and ethics". Amusing, huh?!
Sam!
Veteran

Post by Sam! »

I have a very big feeling that she did not intend for your to cheat in MORALITY AND ETHICS, she probably wanted to see who would. I'LL BET.. that THAT was your test. She told you there was a test coming up and she wanted to see who had actually learned anything.
-Sam!
archers_angel
Veteran

Post by archers_angel »

Cute idea, but im at university, and this is like 80% of our final grade, so I doubt it would be that simple! Plus, theres over 600 people taking the course, but they split us into smaller groups for discussion, so they'd have to do that for everyone for that to be right, and I doubt the exam board would be impressed with their way of grading!
Cindy
Veteran

Post by Cindy »

I aure wouldn't. Normaly i would but that is just too odd.
<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->The Support Group Rules Read them, live by them, and worship them

<strong class='bbc'>"Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood." -Marie Curie[/b]
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

Hmm...personally i wouldn't...

but i would ask others what the answers were about so i know what to focus my studies on...

I dunno...im not that big on cheating...it sorta depresses me if i cheat...

~Jeff~
Shwynsh
Veteran

Post by Shwynsh »

Nah, I wouldn't do it. I'd feel too guilty- but the main reason is that I'd be PETRIFIED of getting caught.

And it seems like she was doing it just to see if you WOULD cheat- what teacher would leave out the answers like that?

Hmm...
<span style=\'color:gray\'

"I have a feeling that you're riding for some kind of a terrible, terrible fall. . . . This fall I think you're riding for-it's a special kind of fall, a horrible kind. The man falling isn't permitted to feel or hear himself hit bottom. He just keeps falling and falling. The whole arrangement's designed for men who, at some time or other in their lives, were looking for something their own environment couldn't supply them with. Or they thought their own environment couldn't supply them with. So they gave up looking. They gave it up before they ever really even got started"
CausticTears
Veteran

Post by CausticTears »

I wouldn't do it either, I'd feel as if it was some sort of experiment she is doing. Like, she's spying on us students to see who'll take the risk. But yeah, I just wouldn't do it.
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

-Leo Buscaglia

[HT Chat Room ][ HT Articles ]

Get your badges
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

Yeah...i bet she would spy on yins...becuase if the test is that huge (80%) she wouldn't or at least shouldn't be that dumb...

~Jeff~
archers_angel
Veteran

Post by archers_angel »

Ok, stop focusing on the "id get caught" aspect. Pretend there was NO CHANCE you'd get caught. Then would you do it?

(And for the record, this teacher is a friend of ours. We all go out the cinema together, and to the pub together after our seminar. She wouldn't try to get us caught, she was just trying to give us some help, because she knows how important this exam is to so many of us)
Sam!
Veteran

Post by Sam! »

I think your teacher then did something fairly IMMORAL and that was facilitating cheating. If she thought you guys needed extra help, she should have spent time on concepts each of you needed to go over - not hand you the answers.

I would not look at them, honestly. It's wrong to cheat. Cheating, lying about important things, and stealing are all against my rules.
-Sam!
Beautiful
Veteran

Post by Beautiful »

Alright, either your teacher is completly non-aware or shes doing it for a reason... I would have cheated... but thats just me :P
Little Miss F*cker,

Don't Move An Inch

I looked at myself

So many things I hate in me

So many things are so hard to believe

I can hear the whole world calling me

Used to be all that i wanted

You to see all that i you to be

does anyone care

Add me.

myspace

*Jamie*

Travis Michael <3.

Born Feb 9th, 2007

He has owns heart. :)
5a5
Veteran

Post by 5a5 »

ya that sounds wayyyy to easy, i'm in college too and they dont hand exam questions to us, huh idk maybe she was tryin to boost ur grades up a bit or just see how many of u would cheat or maybe she's just a lazy b$%$ and actually want u to cheat, idk hard to tell i'd study for that exam anyways if i were u
Now you'll find with everything you lose

Your path clears with everything you choose

Is there someway I can show you

The best is yet to come
Spitfire
Veteran

Post by Spitfire »

Thats kind of scary...in a weird way...like a test of morality itself. But I would prolly put down what I think is right, and then use the answer sheet to check my work. That way I'm only half cheating and at least putting effort into it.
Blame it on the yellow bananas..they just sit there..all..yellow-like!!

~FRODO THE FLYING PEANUT~

Post 200- Aug 10, 2004

Post 250- Aug 17, 2004

Post 300- Aug 23, 2004

Post 400- Sep 26, 2004

Post 500- Oct 26, 2004

Dont Make Me Eat Your First-Born Child!!
archers_angel
Veteran

Post by archers_angel »

I dont have an answer sheet or anything- I just know the questions that will come up in the exam (four of them, and i have to choose one). So I still have to work my ass off revising for that one question!! So even cheating still leaves me with loads of work to do!
jess_617
Veteran

Post by jess_617 »

Id like to think that I wouldnt cheat..and I DEFINITELY wouldnt cheat in that situation. I might ask the others what the main focus of the test seemed to be. But I wouldnt cheat. Its just not fair to the others in the course and Im perfectly capable of passing on my own.
Hey everyone. Im around here alot so if anyone ever needs a chat feel free to PM me or add me on Yahoo, AIM, or MSN. I'll do my best to help. <3

Jessi's Myspace...add me if you want..i have like 3 friends on there. lol
Doug
Veteran

Post by Doug »

I had to chuckle when I read this because you are all way off the mark.

There was no "cheating." She most likely did intend for you to see the questions. However, seeing the questions is not cheating. Her intention was for you to see the questions, copy them down, then go home and study for the test. This was her way of getting you guys to really study for it. Some teachers have you write your answers on an index card, some email the questions to you (that's what my Philosophy professor does), and, while it's unorthodox, she decided to make you feel like you had a leg up on the competition.

It's all about getting you ready for the test. Don't feel like you're cheating, beacuse you aren't.

OI
"Yeah, I'm a great lesbian. Are you a good lesbian, Doug?" - Jenna