Joy Division

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

Toast960
Loyal

Joy Division

Post by Toast960 »

I recently discovered this great band thast came out of the post-punk movement called Joy Division. They're really f'n awesome. They kinda sound like early U2 with the deep voice of Jim Morrison. The singer, Ian Curtis, was one of those tragic rock figures who ended it too early but the stuff he left behind was awesome. If anyone is interested, I reccommend getting getting the cd "Substance". It generally doesn't cost too much because the band never got a chance to make it big stateside. They started during the punk movement in 1977 and folded up after Curtis committed suicide by hanging himself in 1980, right before the band was to tour America for the first time. I highly reccommend this band to anyone looking for a new band to get into. BTW, the remaining members went on to get a keyboardist and became New Order and becamne hugely successful in the UK and sometimes got a successful single stateside. I highly reccommend this band. They're awesome.
To Liz, my one and only - May our love last forever :)

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.." - Jack Kerouac, "On The Road"
skaterGuy15
Veteran

Re: Joy Division

Post by skaterGuy15 »

New Order!? Holy... I never made the connection.

Apparently Interpol is exactly like Joy Division, and I love Interpol, so I'll try listening to them some time.
I wish I were a spy.
Toast960
Loyal

Post by Toast960 »

As stated above, I reccommend getting "Substance". It has a lot of their hit singles that didn't get put on their two albums like "Trasmission", "Digital", "Atmosphere", and "Love Will Tear Us Apart"

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.." - Jack Kerouac, "On The Road"
Breathe_In_For_Luck7
Veteran

Post by Breathe_In_For_Luck7 »

Now, is early U2 like "Sunday Bloody Sunday"? Cause if it sounds anything like that song, I'll love them. Also, New Order rocks. I mmight just have to look up this band.
Toast960
Loyal

Post by Toast960 »

When I say early U2 I mean around that time period. More so like "I Will Follow" but a bit darker. It has that jangly post-punk guitar sound that's awesome!!!!!!!