Teacher's House Burned Down

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

Paris In Flames
Veteran

Re: Teacher's House Burned Down

Post by Paris In Flames »

Hmm...

I'd have my parents approach her with the money away from school, over the phone or something. Maybe 100 dollars...that's what I'd donate.

Cheers,

Jenna
xMOSHx xHELLA HARDCOREx xBREAKDOWNx

The tragedy is the ignorance behind the clean casket

On the outside, they look so good

They're walking to Wallstreet in a straightjacket...
InnocenceLost57
Veteran

Post by InnocenceLost57 »

or perhaps maybe some food or something? I'm sure she'd appreciate that - the people I know were living in an apt with not a lot, and if you made like a casserole and then maybe had a class donation as a whole? So that way there wouldn't be so much focused attention on one person and it might be less awkward for her.
One minute there was road beneath us

The next just sky

Reach up

And let's propose a toast

To the thing that hurts you most

( /)

(O.o) Copy bunny into your signature to help

( <) him achieve world domination

/_|_
InnocenceLost57
Veteran

Post by InnocenceLost57 »

Originally posted by airbagart@Apr 6 2005, 07:29 PM

hm... that's not a bad idea! i mean, she is living in a hotel right now- her insurance is paying for it of course. but she has absolutely NOTHING in the way of clothing, furniture, picture albums, other sentimental things. she is living out of one suitcase- like one pair of pants and a couple of shirts and the hotel bed. maybe we could get her a gift card to eat or everyone could give like $5 and she would get $500 to buy new clothes.

i like that thought though, the last thing i want to make her feel is awkward

thank you!!

:)

[right][/right]

Getting her maybe a gift certificate to a clothes store, or the macarthur center? or having everyone donate a few dollars would be really good. ^_^ coz youre right about the lot of money being just from YOU - group gifts are usually better. But it's really nice that you're doing this!! :D
One minute there was road beneath us

The next just sky

Reach up

And let's propose a toast

To the thing that hurts you most

( /)

(O.o) Copy bunny into your signature to help

( <) him achieve world domination

/_|_
Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister »

I say get a fundraiser going at school. It doesn't have to be all loud and obnoxious, but if other students feel the way you do then they probably would like to help as well. I know a lot of people (myself included) who don't like having attention drawn to them in the sense of having people fund raise for me, but I think if my house had burned down and I were a teacher I think I would be more touched that my students care so much about me more than I would be embaressed about accepting the money. Talk to your principal or something, and raise money for her from your classmates and give it to him. If she is being really altruistic about it, I'm sure there's a way that he could slip it into her paycheck or something sneaky like that.

tJ
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
jess_617
Veteran

Post by jess_617 »

If nothing else you can always but her a gift basket or something. You can buy some really good ones with like assorted foods and junk. *shrug* The fundraiser is a really good idea. Im surprised the school hasnt already started one for her. :confused:
Hey everyone. Im around here alot so if anyone ever needs a chat feel free to PM me or add me on Yahoo, AIM, or MSN. I'll do my best to help. <3

Jessi's Myspace...add me if you want..i have like 3 friends on there. lol
Paris In Flames
Veteran

Post by Paris In Flames »

Originally posted by airbagart@Apr 6 2005, 07:31 PM

Ah, I don't know! That seems like an awful lot for just ME to donate and no one else to give everything. Maybe I could have everyone give a little and get a gift card or something with all the donations. I like the idea of this over the phone because she would get nervous in person, I think- like I'm taking pity on her. Which I am of course, but you know what I'm saying.

thanks for your reply

Yelena :)

[right][/right]

Of course. We have like, a lesbian psychic connection. :P

Anyways - yeah, I understand. It might be a bit awkward. Then again, she has insurance. She'll get the money she lost back (basically).

TJ had a good point, fundraising would be an excellent way to raise money. My math class raised money for these kids for Christmas who were homeless from our school. We didn't say who it was to, but we held a bake sale and then took all the money and transferred it to the kids. It was sweet.

Cheers,

Jenna
xMOSHx xHELLA HARDCOREx xBREAKDOWNx

The tragedy is the ignorance behind the clean casket

On the outside, they look so good

They're walking to Wallstreet in a straightjacket...