Who Wants To Correct My French?!?!

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
Paris In Flames
Veteran

Who Wants To Correct My French?!?!

Post by Paris In Flames »

Hey everybody,

Okay, here's the deal. I REALLY REALLY REALLY need this corrected. If you don't speak French, don't bother - translator do NOT work and I don't want to read through a whole bunch of crappy translated stuff.

If anybody is in French and can correct this, as well as translate my English parts into French...I will love you FOREVER.

Cheers,

Jenna

P.S. This is due Monday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xMOSHx xHELLA HARDCOREx xBREAKDOWNx

The tragedy is the ignorance behind the clean casket

On the outside, they look so good

They're walking to Wallstreet in a straightjacket...
LilyMaid
Loyal

Re: Who Wants To Correct My French?!?!

Post by LilyMaid »

That is a lot of writing.

I've done a bit on it, but I'm quite weighed down with my own homework.

I'll try to get at least some of it to you soon. No promises, though.
LilyMaid
Loyal

Post by LilyMaid »

[Disclaimer: I have poor French, but I think I might be able to help with grammar.]

It's asking a lot for someone to go through all of your assignment and translate a fair proportion of English into French. I'll have a go at some of it, and I will send it to you soon, but I think it's better to let you do it for yourself (of course :shifty:). For one, I certainly don't have great French at ALL, so you can't trust me to correct it correctly!

Hopefully we have someone here who has a high level of French who can help you... Until such a time, here are some things that I have noticed:

In general, you need to look at your relative pronouns -- mainly usage of 'ceux que' and 'ceux qui' where 'qui' and 'que' should be:

Ce qui (what; that which) is used as the SUBJECT of the clause when there is no antecedent -- ie. when nothing comes before. Eg. Ce qui est arrive est presque impossible. What happened is almost impossible.

Ce que (what; that which) is used as the OBJECT of a verb when there is no antecedent -- ie. when nothing comes before. Eg. Ce qu'il ecrit est difficile a comprendre. What he writes is difficult to understand.

You wrote:

'Elle m'a dit ce qu'elle a voulu voir la Moulin Rouge.'

That actually means: She told me what she wanted to see the Moulin Rouge.

You actually want to say:

Elle m'a dit qu'elle a voulu voir la Moulin Rouge.

[She told me that she wanted to see the Moulin Rouge.]

When you want to convey this meaning, use que (whom; which; that), not ce que (what, that which).

In addition, you need to look at your accents (I'm one to talk -- I don't know how to use accents on here), your etre verbs, and perhaps try to cut down on repetition. Is the assignment meant to be 2000+ words? It seems very steep for French at this level! Ooo, and remember: there is a French verb 'to have to' (devoir), you do not use 'to have' (avoir) and then whack an 'a`' after it just as we do in English. Also, remember the form for reflexive verbs in the passe compose.

Use your dictionary and your notes to write the sentences that you haven't yet been able to put into English. Don't get stuck trying to translate perfectly -- compromise a little for something that you know how to write.

I'm really impressed... You must have a huge amount of commitment to write something so thorough and long! You have much better French than I do. I'd get stuck after 3 sentences. Ooo, and it's very creative. :P

Good luck.
Paris In Flames
Veteran

Hahaha, oh, I know that my accent marks are missing.

I was hoping that I could find somebody to do them for me, lmao.

::le sigh:: God, I hate French.

Thank you though, for your suggestions. It means a lot that you're even willing to go and look at it.

Cheers,

Jenna

xxwhereisfredxx
Veteran

Post by xxwhereisfredxx »

well i was gonna do it... cause im bored! lol.. but then i tried and it said it was "locked" whatever that means, im not a computer person! lol oh yea, hahaha i love the classic use of 'franglais' in there.
When I hear somebody sigh that Life is hard, I am always tempted to ask, Compared to what?

If we did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.

You see things; and you say Why? But I dream things that never were; and I say Why not?

It is a hard matter, my fellow citizens, to argue with the belly, since it has no ears.

LilyMaid
Loyal

Post by LilyMaid »

I did some work last night on your assignment, I hope you got it via your hotmail account. Check your email if not!

Tip: Set Word to French (France) as the language, and it will want to put in accents for you.
Paris In Flames
Veteran

Paris In Flames
Veteran

Ahah, it put accent marks in!

SCORE!

falling
Loyal

Post by falling »

what kinda assignment is it? did it really happen? :o
i know what i feel, but i'm afraid to show it, inside, so real, no one else could know it, the whole truth and no lies, cutting deeper i can hear my soul cry, come on testify.