Sat

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
Fishhead
Needs Another Hobby

Sat

Post by Fishhead »

I take it for the first time (aside from once in 7th grade that I can't remember) next weekend.

I'm worried, I'm not the best at standardized tests. :S
Paris In Flames
Veteran

Re: Sat

Post by Paris In Flames »

Good luck!

I'm taking the SAT IIs next weekend.

You'll do fine.

You're brilliant, remember?

And didn't you get like, national merit?
xMOSHx xHELLA HARDCOREx xBREAKDOWNx

The tragedy is the ignorance behind the clean casket

On the outside, they look so good

They're walking to Wallstreet in a straightjacket...
Fishhead
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Fishhead »

I got a really good score on the PSAT..but it doesn't count for national merit till this year when I take it..because you have to be a junior or something.. I dunno

I'm just worried.
sinical_sycology
Loyal

Post by sinical_sycology »

lol there really isn't much to be nervous about, just get lots of sleep and make sure to sneak in a candy bar or snack or something (don't get caught!). I mean really theres not much to worry about um don't guess lol I'm pretty sure they told you that, the penalty points or what not. And always take twice or more, guarnteed your score will go up, mine did, first time I took it I think I scored lik 1450 which isn't high at all considering I do very well on these tests, second time around I knocked at 2000, some gurl at my school got 2360 (fucking bitch showing me up). But yeah I don't think the improvement is that significant but statistically people score 50+ points on each part of the test on the second try. Think of the first one as practice!
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?" - Jesus Of Nazareth -

"An educated fool is more foolish than an ignorant one." - Moliere -

"There are well-dressed foolish ideas, just as there are well-dressed fools." - Nicolas Chamfort -

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain -

"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes." - Oscar Wilde -

REVOLUTIONARY - An oppressed person waiting for the opportunity to become an oppressor - Cynics Dictionary -
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

hey good luck!!

keep us informed of the results...

the 1st time i took mine they were quite dissapointing (i got a 1040 old - 1540 new), then i retook them and it improved (i got a 1170 old - 1720 new)...

just get lots of sleep and don't stress yourself out! :)

~Jeff~
Fishhead
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Fishhead »

Did you guys do a lot of prep books and whatnot for it?
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

honostly, no...

my guidence counsler sorta told us the sat was a test you couldn't study for...

we had 6, 1/2 hr. sessions (2 per section) and went over the basics, but we didn't actually study anything - you know?

i mean i guess you can study for it, but its about studying the basics (do you know how to take logrythms? do you know how to write creative sentences? do you know how to pick up on mis-spellings?, etc)

~Jeff~
LMG
Loyal

Post by LMG »

I've been worrying a lot the SAT lately myself (among other required exams).

But It's really just wears you out and puts more pressure then actually getting the wrinkles out, you know what I mean? :)

You obviously have to know certain things for your grade to pass....but it's only the practice test, you still have time to go over anything you don't understand.

Besides the academics, about 65 percent of the test is testing your testing abilities. I have a practice CD on my computer for practice and tips........there were a lot of questions I didn't know, but I ened up getting them right by making an educated guess on what looked like would make sense (and I actually got some of those guesses right, believe it or not).

I suggest tutors and/or SAT improovement/tips CD's.

The CD set I have was only 30 bucks, not too shabby if you ask me. :D
Fishhead
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Fishhead »

It's not the practice, it's the real one.

Also, I'm not afraid of not passing it. I just really want to do extremely well on it.
LMG
Loyal

Post by LMG »

It's not the practice, it's the real one.

Also, I'm not afraid of not passing it. I just really want to do extremely well on it.

[/b]

Oh, I can deffinitely hear why you'd be stressed then!

I still stick by what I said though, working yourself hard can be helpful, but working yourself to the point of overwellming stress is not.

Don't study for more than one hour at a time, give yourself at least a 5 to 15 minute break so you're brain doesn't overheat ;)

Good luck! ^_^
VittorioCole
Loyal

Post by VittorioCole »

Dont let it worry you, Fish. I got halfway through a prep book, decided it was all boring bullshit, and just took the test. I got a 2130.

Answering the questions is more a common sense, process of elimination thing.

Just dont stress, and you'll be fine. :)
[CENTER]So you're the fire and I'm the water.

I am the balance and you are the color.

I won't forget you when we're not together.

This is the ending, here's my surrender.[/CENTER]
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

so how did you do?

did you take hte ones that were yesterday?

~Jeff~
Fishhead
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Fishhead »

Yeah, I took the Oct. 14 one. (Sorry for the delay, I didn't notice that you responded) I hope I did well. I'm worried but I can see my scores on November 8th. I try not to think about them too much. :)
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

ehh i hated the wait, haha . . .

i am a pretty impatient person when it comes to my future, haha...

i mean though SAT scores aren't the most important once in college (its just to get into them, after that, its GPA and classes and credits and all of that shit) but yeah, when you get them inform us ;) haha

what is your intended major (out of curiosity) ~ b/c that really is what matters for SAT, like i am a finance major (math orientented) so my math score was the most important and i got a 640, so b/c of that i talked the head of admissions here and though my verbal lacked by 20 pts. for any scholarships, my math was above average and since that is where i am focusing, they gave me a scholarship ~ you know?

~Jeff~
Fishhead
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Fishhead »

Ugggggh.

I got a 1710 :(

Definitely retaking it, when I'm not sick and I've slept beforehand.
sinical_sycology
Loyal

1710 ain't too bad....more importantly, what was total score of your math and reading scores, I don't think colleges take the essay score...they didn't take mine .
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?" - Jesus Of Nazareth -

"There are well-dressed foolish ideas, just as there are well-dressed fools." - Nicolas Chamfort -

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain -

REVOLUTIONARY - An oppressed person waiting for the opportunity to become an oppressor - Cynics Dictionary -
Fishhead
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Fishhead »

Not high enough, I want a 2200. So I'll give sleeping a try, I only got barely three hours of sleep the night before I took it. Maybe that will make a difference. I'm typically not a great test taker, but better than I was then.
sinical_sycology
Loyal

2200 is an extremely high score considering the highest score is 2400.......why not just shoot for a perfect score if you're willing to go that high?

SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

2200 is really high, i earned a 1720, and was happy with it . . .

but yeah what was your math and verbal/reading? b/c that is all that matters anyway (they added the essays, but no college cares about them)

before you stress yourself out w/ your SAT scores, look up to see the college(s) you want to go to and see what SAT scores are required - you could save yourself 50$, unless you want to go like Ivy League or something

~Jeff~
sinical_sycology
Loyal

lol IVy league, you'll go broke just on the applications alone. But yeah 2200 is VERY high, thats like out of the original 1600 you're shooting for a 1500, SAT is just one part of the college admission process, they look at your grades then they see if you've done anything to benefit your community, um letters of recommendation I mean there's a whole lot of things to be taken into account when going through this college application process, the SAT is only used to determine your eligibility index score. The only time you have to worry about hitting high scores on a test like the SAT is if you plan on going to med or law school, then you have the MCATS and the BAR, until then however relax pat yourself on the back 1700 is a good score