Mcats!

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
sinical_sycology
Loyal

Mcats!

Post by sinical_sycology »

Well I was looking through some practice questions and it scared me shitless. At the same time I was hoping to find some other pre-med students and see what kind of steps they're taking towards becoming a physician (i'm going for neurosurgeon but the main thing is getting into med school).
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?" - Jesus Of Nazareth -

"An educated fool is more foolish than an ignorant one." - Moliere -

"There are well-dressed foolish ideas, just as there are well-dressed fools." - Nicolas Chamfort -

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain -

"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes." - Oscar Wilde -

REVOLUTIONARY - An oppressed person waiting for the opportunity to become an oppressor - Cynics Dictionary -
snowboardgirl_16
Loyal

Re: Mcats!

Post by snowboardgirl_16 »

Hey, I'm in my second year of pre-med and I'm taking my MCATs this summer (AAAAAAAAAHHHHH!) I've wanted to be a doctor since I was like 5 (seriously, it says in my pre-school graduation thing that I wanted to grow up and be a doctor) and now its finally in my grasp and I'm scared to death!!! But I've heard good and bad things about it. One friend took it just this past summer and another took it last year.

The one thing I was told by an advisor is for Med School, yeah you have to do descent on the MCATs, but that its pretty much all about the interview and your resume (volunteering and such) that sets you apart from the rest. Yeah, sure anyone can study their ass off and do good on the MCATs but they don't want just fricken brains going to med school, they want people that are actually INTERESTED in the profession and show it through things like volunteer work at the hospital and are also very good people-persons (hence the interview)
"Could you be the one to find me safe and sound? Love is how it's lost not how it's found. I don't know those eyes, but I see beauty there always. I know it's wrong to love you from afar but it's a craze." Azure Ray

"Take a look at yourself, and put your heart upon the shelf. It still bleeds, these wound won't heal, This pain inside is all that's real. Fall, as fire. Fall as fire from the sky above." Stutterfly

"It's all about the icing, and nobody cares about what's inside. You could see the outside face, it looks good, it must be great. And I know that's all you see. What would it matter anyway? Cause I can see right through your pretty, pretty skin today." The Early November
sinical_sycology
Loyal

Re: Mcats!

Post by sinical_sycology »

well i was reading a manual written by several med students accepted into well med school and it said a lot of things. For starters it says if you got as far as the interview thats good (emphasis on if) as there are two application periods the first one is just to get a basic overview the second really wants to get to know you and by the time you get to interviews i understand they've already made up their minds albeit with a few students that are on the edge. I mean yeah I get what you mean and you don't want to answer to them when they ask you why you want to be a doctor and come up with a cliche "i want to help people". But yeah I got to get through the MCATS and then apply for med school when i'm in my junior year. What schools you have in mind?
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?" - Jesus Of Nazareth -

"An educated fool is more foolish than an ignorant one." - Moliere -

"There are well-dressed foolish ideas, just as there are well-dressed fools." - Nicolas Chamfort -

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain -

"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes." - Oscar Wilde -

REVOLUTIONARY - An oppressed person waiting for the opportunity to become an oppressor - Cynics Dictionary -