Hmm...

This forum is for Lesbians, Gays, Bi-sexuals, Transgenders or members that are questioning their sexual orientation or gender identity. This forum is a safe haven and is open to all members, straight or otherwise, who are curious about sexuality.

Moderator: Sex & Relationships Moderators

SirPostAlot
Veteran

Hmm...

Post by SirPostAlot »

Okay, so i have been browsing the internet (as usual) and talking w/ various professors and such, and i guess in todays society gay people are being accepted/hired over other people because of the diversity rule and such

I mean it is good that we are being seen as equals and everything, but there is something that bothers be about the diversity rule...

like i mean i have ALWAYS hated the rule (and if you don't k now what i mean, here is a quick synapsis):

a lot of businesses, fields, and corporations run on a diverty rule where they try to keep a certain percentage of employees per diversity (i.e. woman, blacks, latino, handicap, etc)

and it pisses me off in some stances b/c like my roomate is black, and i am not racist, but the school offers him more money based on his diversity versus his accomplishments...

and i have always sworn i would not be caught in the diversity rule b/c i do not believe that someone should be put on a pedistol based on ascribed characterists, it should only be determined by achieved characteristics...

so when i apply for grad school or apply for a job, in the back of my head if i get hired would be are htey hiring me for my intellect and what i can do for the company, or are they hiring me to fill a "gay" position...

does this bother anyone else??

~Jeff~
Jaegermeister
Veteran

Re: Hmm...

Post by Jaegermeister »

Not so much that as Title IX, which is similar, but geared towards women. I understand the motives behind it and I'm not at all against them, but it's to the point now where a lot of colleges have to cut almost every men's sports except Football, Basketball, and Baseball (the big money makers) simply to maintain Title IX compliancy. For example, Bowling Green State University had to cut I believe it was 4 men's sports (track, swimming, wrestling, and tennis if I remember correctly) in order to maintain Title IX compliant, leaving them with 6 varsity men's sports and 10 varsity women's sports. Which I think is now unfair to the men. The main problem with title IX is that men have football. For those of you not familiar with it, Title IX was made to address gender inequity in schools, and it's mainly been focussed on athletics. The most common ways to be compliant are to equal scholarship money for both sexes, having equality of the number of athletes of each sex competing, or to draw in equal/similar revenues for both mens and womens' athletic events. Well football is the huge moneymaker for any school, and a 65+ member team of men automatically skews the entire system. It'd be asinine to get rid of a football program, but in order to maintain football and Title IX compliance, many schools not as renowned for athletics will cut the "less popular" men's sports in order to offset the football team. So now I'm seeing a lot more reverse gender discrimination similar to what has been seen with affirmative action initiatives. While the situation is not nearly so dire, it's practically a disadvantage to be an average middle class white male. I definitely understand where you're coming from Jeff, and I was on the SAC (Student Athlete Committee) where we discussed ways of maintaining the spirit of equality without needing to make cuts and such. It's a fine line to walk.
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
FranklinF
Veteran

Post by FranklinF »

i say let them hire you for being gay and then prove you are worthy of the job, make them glad they hired you
[center]Every once in a while, you stop in moments.

The ones that are life changing.

They edit your thinking.

They make your heart grow.

[/center]
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

true, but i don't want to know that the basis of my hiring is for my orientation...

i mean i see people here who get scholarships based on their ascribed characteristis and it utterly disgusts me b/c they don't deserve them...

i don't want to put my career on the basis of critism by outside sources for them saying the reason i got the job or grad. school is b/c of my orientation...

you know?

just because i may prove myself a benefit to the company or school doesn't change the reason i was hired or accepted...

~Jeff~
Bleeding~Hero
Loyal

Post by Bleeding~Hero »

I know exactly what you mean. I get so upset when at my school I see all these fantastic scholarships or oppurtunities (like going to a physics seminar), being given out and I go to grab them because they mean so much to me, but they won't let me have it because I'm a boy, or because I'm not black or latino. I get angry because I know that I want that so much more than some of the people they give them to. Just because way back in day they were kept from getting these things, I now have to pay the price even though I had nothing to do with it?

Two wrongs don't make a right.