Trial Period

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
four
Veteran

Re: Trial Period

Post by four »

I find it suprising that only Minx and Cindy have touched upon the fact that chit-chat is a helping forum. Chatting keeps us sane. If all we were to do was to help people with problems we would end up flipping out under the strain. You need the release and the fun of a chit-chat area to do this sort of thing. You can't take the chit-chat forum away, because then half the people here would have to leave or go insane.
NAAM
Adnama
Veteran

Post by Adnama »

I agree 100% with what Fruitloop is saying. Its REALLY discourageing when you really need help and theres like 20 people online, but you still dont get any replies, or it takes for ever, or you just get a few. I mean, when your really down in that pit of depression or suicide or self harm... its REALLY REALLY discorageing, if you havent been there then just trust me on this one.

But we cant force people to help either... i know some people cant. As much as i try to help in suicide and self harm and depression and every thing, some days i feel so low my self that i just cant bring my self to do it you know? And i know its like that for alot of people, its to triggering. And then other people dont have the experiance. And i think its good that they realize that, so they dotn make matters worse.

If you take chit chat off.. theoreticly it would help... but it would also be likely to just make people stay away all togeather, especialy newbies.

How 'bout you make some sort of announcement, or send an e-mail to every one, explaining the matter? ASKING every one to try and give a little bit of their time to places other then chit-chat when ever possible?

I dunno, all i know is that a solution is kinda needed.
"It's just not the same when you're staring into a perfect golden sunset,

And thinking about how you sold your soul to send the rain away"

-Mineral "Slower"

"And the very fear that makes you want to die

Is just the same as what keeps you alive..."

-Barenaked Ladies, "War on drugs"

My blog of depressed rants: http://sendtherainaway.blogspot.com/
iHEAVENn
Veteran

Post by iHEAVENn »

ah im not gonna lie i seriously do get tired of replying to alot of topics yes, but i also think about what i would do if i was someone and needed help and wasnt getting it. so i try to help out in every area that i can. no i dont go into the sexsexsex forum but meh i just really dont like going in there all that much.

and when i get bored, i do turn to the chit chat forum to relax. some people do just come on here to use the chit chat forum, but also some people are getting some help they need by posting in there ;)
[CENTER]Man I wish you just left me alone.... Cause I was almost home.......

.:..::.?? Toga party anyone ??.::..:.

[/CENTER]

[CENTER]-:Logan Jacob:-

-:12-01-2007:-

-:6:21 a.m.:-

-:7 pounds 4 ounces:-

The most precious gift my husband has given to me

[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

I think my original point got lost somewhere in everybody elses interpretations of what I was saying..

I just want the regulars in chit chat to break away from there occasionally and answer in the other forums to ease the pressure on the mods and supermods.

Yes, chit chat is relaxing.. but isn't helping somebody with a problem rewarding??

Just spending maybe 10 minutes giving somebody a piece of advice is not that much to ask surely?

Just like Adnama is saying, there are like 20 people online.. somebody posts in suicide and they are all in the chit chat forum. We could be saving people lives instead of discussing the new colour of David Beckham's hair..

Don't remove chit chat.. just encourage some people who hang about in there regularly to come out and post elsewhere.
iHEAVENn
Veteran

Post by iHEAVENn »

yeah i see what ya mean about that. but really we can try to encourage people to post in other areas but we cant force them to. so poo. :(
[CENTER]Man I wish you just left me alone.... Cause I was almost home.......

.:..::.?? Toga party anyone ??.::..:.

[/CENTER]

[CENTER]-:Logan Jacob:-

-:12-01-2007:-

-:6:21 a.m.:-

-:7 pounds 4 ounces:-

The most precious gift my husband has given to me

[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

They already know there are other forums, but they just sort of choose to ignore them.

What else can we do other than make chit chat harder to find?? :)
Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister »

I agree with fruit loop. I've had the same problem where I've posted a problem that I've had in a help forum and a day later it may have a reply or two while in Chit Chat things such as How many pillows do you sleep with? or Guess what, I've hit 456 posts get 4-5 replies AN HOUR! Cindy, I do think chit chat helps, but I think at this point it has become a huge behemouth that is taking over the site, whether we want it to or not. I think something needs to be done to stop this. I don't even think it's just chit chat. The whole Support Groups themselves seem to be taking on a chit chatty appearance, and if I were coming here to get help, I think that I would look elsewhere because this seems way too chit chatty. Hell I KNOW it's way too chit chatty. What can be done to remove the rabble from the serious problems?

TJ
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
four
Veteran

Post by four »

We are stopping the rest of the forums from becoming chit-chatty. Look what happened with Sex, Sex, Sex, a big part of that was removing the chit-chat posts. Chit-Chat is there for many reasons, including to keep chit chatting out of the main forums.
NAAM
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

Chit chat happens in relationships a lot.
Evan
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Evan »

my 2 cents.....
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

What happens to the ones who begin helping and then go to chit chat because hundreds of others have too?
Crazy Bird
Veteran

Post by Crazy Bird »

I agree somewhat to what Fruitloop is saying...However you have to kinda understand that chit chat isn't really personal or stressful like problems are. :(

And you can't really force people to post elsewhere other than chit chat either...

Me, well I try and help out whenever I can. I post in sex sex sex, sexuality, relationships, family and friends, why me, self esteem. They are the ones I mainly post in.

I would go to the depression and suicide ones but I haven't really got much experience with them problems so I wouldn't really know how to help someone.

And I would go to the rape/abuse one but I don't feel like going in there due to my own personal problems with it at the minute.

Even though I do try and help as much as I can, I do go in chit chat if I can't find any other posts that I can give advice to. It de-stresses ya in a way, I guess. :)

I don't think chit-chat should be taken away...but there is WAY too much spam going on in there. And way too much attention to that forum than other ones where people NEED help. I think more people should start paying attention to HELPING others... :D

But yeah thats just my two cents,

~ Keli xxx
~ Tell me all your problems & I'll try my best to kiss them all away ~

Now here you go again, you say you want your freedom

Well who am I to keep you down

It's only right that you should play the way you feel it

But listen carefully to the sound

Of your loneliness

Like a heartbeat drives you mad

In the stillness of remembering what you had

And what you lost

Well It's only me that wants to wrap around your dreams

I love you...
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

I don't think chit chat should be taken away either, but I think that the focus needs to return on the fact that people come here looking for help and might not receive it before its too late because people who are online at the time are chit-chatting.

:/
Crazy Bird
Veteran

Post by Crazy Bird »

Is there like a way where you could literally NOT allowed people to go into the chit-chat forum unless they like post 5 posts in other advice forums? Haha :lol:

It's just a suggestion...a silly one at that but yeah, sorry. My brain is not functioning. :wub:
~ Tell me all your problems & I'll try my best to kiss them all away ~

Now here you go again, you say you want your freedom

Well who am I to keep you down

It's only right that you should play the way you feel it

But listen carefully to the sound

Of your loneliness

Like a heartbeat drives you mad

In the stillness of remembering what you had

And what you lost

Well It's only me that wants to wrap around your dreams

I love you...
xxwhereisfredxx
Veteran

Post by xxwhereisfredxx »

no no no! thats a REALLY GOOD IDEA! if that was possible they should do it! That would mean so many more ppl would get helped, and then as a reward for their helping they could go chat it up in CHIT CHAT!

yay for your good idea!
When I hear somebody sigh that Life is hard, I am always tempted to ask, Compared to what?

If we did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.

You see things; and you say Why? But I dream things that never were; and I say Why not?

It is a hard matter, my fellow citizens, to argue with the belly, since it has no ears.

Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister »

Too many people right now I think take chit chat for granted. It's a privelage not a right in my opinion.

TJ

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister »

I forget if anyone brought this up, probably, but oh well I'm saying it anyways. So chit chat and all it's sub forums are easily the most active on the board, and then you would spread the rest of your posts between the other forums, it's hard not to have chit chat as your major procentage. Look at me, I am rarely seen in Chit Chat, I'm mostly in Religon, Sex, and Relationships trying to help, but I still have a majority of posts in chit chat (a whopping 15%), only because I am spread too thin among the other forums. I do think it would make sense to consider the overall procentages of people applying to be moderators, like set a minimum percent of posts that should be in the forum they are applying for maybe or something like that. Just my Image

TJ

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.