Should Quoting Be Banned

Got any suggestions that you would like to get to the Administration? Post them here!
Gandalf
Loyal

Should Quoting Be Banned

Post by Gandalf »

Quoting is completely pointless. There are users who quote even the logest of posts for no reason, then write 2lines at the end. Should it banned, reduced or changed in some way? I know many other people who hate this feature also, so it's not just my own problem.

(p.s there is no reaon to complain because I am giving a constructive criticism of the site. That is what the suggestions forum is for, if we don't show the sites faults then it will never grow. So don't tell me i'm complaining, because im not. That has happened to often in here, I just wanted to say that.)
"The happiest people are those that are too busy to realise whether they are or not."

Enlightenment is the one and only answer to happiness

It will take a lifetime to realise who you are, just trying to be yourself is a much more obtainable goal

Read And Follow The Support Group Rules
CuteLilChk
Loyal

Re: Should Quoting Be Banned

Post by CuteLilChk »

I don't really see it as a problem. There are a lot of situations where it is really convenient. (Atleast there have been a lot for me...)
That's me in my avatar, wasn't I soooo cute!? (I still am, but... not AS cute, hehe, j/k :) )

I love you Langley!!!

R.I.P. Ian Guzik- Oct. 5, 2002

R.I.P. Billie Young
jamie
Loyal

Post by jamie »

It's only really pointless when someone quotes another directly after a certain post.
You breathe the strangest twist

upon your lips, "and we shall be together..."
DreamPixie
Veteran

Post by DreamPixie »

I can only think of one user off the top of my head [no offense if that person takes that personally] who quotes really often, and yes that does get annoying, but for other's it's just a way to show what you're responding too. If we got rid of everything that annoyed someone, the site would be pretty barren though, don't ya think? Maybe they can reduce it somehow though, or limit the length of quotes.
~The best thing about being happy is thinking that you will never be unhappy again.

~Life's too short to be anything but happy.

~I<3Mike.
iHEAVENn
Veteran

Post by iHEAVENn »

i dont see a problem with it of course i usually dont read the qoutes lol :unsure:
[CENTER]Man I wish you just left me alone.... Cause I was almost home.......

.:..::.?? Toga party anyone ??.::..:.

[/CENTER]

[CENTER]-:Logan Jacob:-

-:12-01-2007:-

-:6:21 a.m.:-

-:7 pounds 4 ounces:-

The most precious gift my husband has given to me

[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Nj
Veteran

Post by Nj »

I believe somebody should be out there watching for abuse of it, I think its a severe issue (the fact) that somebody wants to ban something (everytime) one or two people abuse it, I think that a good idea would be all staff at teenhelp watching for it, and asking the abusers to stop? How 'bout that?
--nj

Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

Gandalf, quoting is one of the most useful features of this forum. When you're browsing a large topic that has more than 20 replies, you sometimes get lost as to what others are replying to (which of those 20 posts), the quoting feature solves this. I believe it should stay, and I believe it to be very useful. It is up to the user how much of the original post they quote, they have complete control over this, I have seen a lot of use for it, you're the first to complain.

Once again, I don't believe it should be removed.

DreamPixie, that user is me. :)

Thank you for your feedback.
HelpingTeens.org:

I can't think of a better use of server resources...I really can't.
Britt
Veteran

Post by Britt »

its the posts that quote the post right b4 them that bugs me..those quotes are pointless..and yes...there is one person that i can think of that does that all the time..sorry..i actually have done it..i have only done it about 3-4 times..

FiZzBaW
Veteran

Post by FiZzBaW »

I feel that Quotes are a usefull tool and should stay, when a topic gets long it is hard to tell whom a reply is addressed to, Thats where quotes come in, they allow the person replying to specify to what they are replying. I think Quotes should stay.

-FiZz :)
Click to Email Me

AIM: fizzbaw05

Visit our Live Chat or use IRC: irc.helpingteens.org

----

"I helped save Jericho!" Facebook Group

four
Veteran

Post by four »

I think quoting is a good feature, but a couple people abuse it. When you are responding to a topic, you don't need to quote the entire previous post. Only use it if you are responding to specific sections of posts that you need to point out...
NAAM
Nj
Veteran

Post by Nj »

Unforgiving, you are always rambling about doing your "job." I find that I have a very easy time doing my job, not once have I had to use the MOD CP to stop anybody from getting out of hand, and i've managed to keep religion pretty decent without a a mod cp at all. so I don't understand why you continue to insist upon gaining all sorts of power, you don't need and shouldn't have... Care to PM me and tell me why?

Also, is there a place where the "official rules" for mods is located, and who is on the "staff comittee," i've seen nothing of either..
--nj

Cindy
Veteran

Post by Cindy »

Quoteing stays... its a usefull thing... sorry but this will not need to be brought up to the board. this is only mine, Dustins and laura decision, and i'll speak for them saying it says...
<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->The Support Group Rules Read them, live by them, and worship them

<strong class='bbc'>"Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood." -Marie Curie[/b]
DreamPixie
Veteran

Post by DreamPixie »

heh, skye i wasn't referring to you. i agree with amatasu, why don't we stop using the suggestion forum so much. let a suggestion stay to like a minimal number of replies and just put it in ur mind for consideration. don't keep replying and arguing about it. they are afterall *just* suggestions.
~The best thing about being happy is thinking that you will never be unhappy again.

~Life's too short to be anything but happy.

~I<3Mike.
motoman
Loyal

Post by motoman »

without quotes i wouldn't read the threads, it woulld be way to confusing.
MaxPowerMrs
Veteran

Post by MaxPowerMrs »

Originally posted by DreamPixie@Jan 23 2003, 09:07 PM

I can only think of one user off the top of my head [no offense if that person takes that personally] who quotes really often, and yes that does get annoying, but for other's it's just a way to show what you're responding too. If we got rid of everything that annoyed someone, the site would be pretty barren though, don't ya think? Maybe they can reduce it somehow though, or limit the length of quotes.
talking about me? haha.....joke.

but seriously. I think quoting's pretty useful. Especially if there's a few pages of posts and you want to say something about a point someone made on the first page. if that makes sense....but yeah, comes in handy
?-(?`v??)-? ???k? ?-(?`v??)-?

Jeff Buckley ~ 17/11/1966 - 29/5/1997. RIP Dream Brother :)

Ahh hell diddly ding dong crap!! Can't you morons do anything right? - Ned Flanders

May the wind always be at your back, and the sun upon your face. And may the winds of destiny carry you aloft, to dance with the stars.