Is There A God?

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

imsoevil
Loyal

Is There A God?

Post by imsoevil » Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:11 pm

I don't mean to make anyone mad or to make people question they're religion or anything like that. This is my opnion/question. IS THERE TRUELY A GOD? I mean honestly. I used to be religous and go to church ever Sunday and Wednesday. I started to actually listen to what was being said and I started to read the bible. I began to question it. I could always find something that didn't make since or didn't fit. If there is a god...and the bible is actually true..... wouldn't there be 1 religion and would there really be so many different versions of the bible? I don't believe there is A God....remember I don't want to diss anyone's beliefs or anything. Although, I would like to know what you have to say about this.
"Don't hate me because I wasn't who you thought I was , or who you wanted me to be. From the beginning , you never knew who I was."

Nj
Veteran

Re: Is There A God?

Post by Nj » Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:20 pm

I think your beliefs have much merit although my beliefs disagree with them to a sertain extent.
--nj

Nj
Veteran

Post by Nj » Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:21 pm

I'm warning you all ahead of time to NOT go off on phire.
--nj

*mel*
Loyal

Post by *mel* » Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:48 pm

hey imsoevil,

I know what you mean. I question whether or not there is a god. I think everyone does at one point or another. the thing is, is that you have to have faith. I believe in God, but I think this society wants everyone to believe in God. Therefore, you are raised believing in God, most people don't question it because they want to be accepted. For example, (this goes for most people, not all on here tho) If a Christian walks up to you and asks what religion you are and you say, "I'm athesist",,, well you're probably going to get some dirty looks and all. It's because society wants us to believe in God.

But, I do believe in God... sometimes I wonder if I actually believe in him because I truely do, or if that's the way I was raised.

As for the stuff not making sense, well that's a different story. There are many things we don't understand. The Bible being one of them. Sure, we all have our own philosophy on the stories and stuff, but who's actually right? No one knows for sure. Many of the stories in the bible are lessons, and not all are true.

imsoevil
Loyal

Post by imsoevil » Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:04 pm

Yeah Mel I agree with ya...I think our society wants everyone to believe in God...and trust me I have gotten some looks for telling people that I don't believe. I'm happy for people that believe in God actually...I'm happy they have something they believe in and something to have faith in. When I had that I felt like I was living in a box though, so I questioned it and now I'm outside the box looking in. For all I know God may be real, but no one can honestly say they know for sure.
"Don't hate me because I wasn't who you thought I was , or who you wanted me to be. From the beginning , you never knew who I was."

Kristina
Veteran

Post by Kristina » Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:41 pm

its called faith.... some things may not seem to make sense but you just have to believe :unsure:
There's always someone cooler than you

Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister » Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:05 pm

My vision of God is this... Imagine a flashlight shining in a dark room. Put a refracting crystal in front of the flashlight, and the light is diffused so different rays go all over the room. The room is the earth, the light is God, and the crystal is culture. God is one, but he is viewed and worshipped differently by different cultures.

tJ
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.

Nj
Veteran

Post by Nj » Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:36 pm

Best put 'tweeds!!!!!! I agree much with that..
--nj

imsoevil
Loyal

Post by imsoevil » Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:37 pm

I never thought of it like that DLtweeds that's a good way to look at it. All of you make good points. I don't see anything wrong with having faith in God..it's just not for me anymore. I am seriously happy for those of you who have faith in him! :) Keep believing! Maybe one day I'll see what you guys see... :unsure: I think that we should all just be happy with what be believe...I am..and all of you seem to be too so that's good.

nj100688
Veteran

Post by nj100688 » Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:01 pm

I believe in God and i'm ok with people who don't believe in God as long as they're good people.
its better to have people think you're stupid then open your mouth and prove it

If you're going through hell, keep going. Winston Churchill

people often over look that a one in a million chances is still a chance

Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister » Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:22 pm

Heh... thanks a lot resist. I heard it from somewhere else (if I could remember I would attribute that person) but I've always thought that the prism (dammit! now I remember the word. When I was posting the first time I forgot 'prism' so I had to say 'refacting crystal :lol: ) analogy was fairly succinct, at least ever since I heard it. I had believed in that before, but I didn't know how to explain it.

And Kudos to you Resist! You have gotten my nickname right! My nickname is Tweeds, I tagged the DL on there for DeutschLand.

TJ
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.

itsme
Veteran

Post by itsme » Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:47 pm

from wat i believe there is a god.
PICTURES.

"Picture the scene, where whatever you thought, would in the blink of an eye manifest and become illustrated. You'd be sure man that every line drawn reflected a life that you loved not an existence that you hated."- incubus

"I'm Sick of Painting in Black and White. My Pen is dry, now I'm uptight. So sick of limiting myself to fit your definition. Redefine."- incubus

xxwhereisfredxx
Veteran

Post by xxwhereisfredxx » Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:49 pm

i WANT to think there's a GOD..... so i make myself believe.

Even if there isn't though, is religion and believing in God SUCH A BAD THING?!?! NO NO NO NO!!!

but i'm gonna go with YES, there IS A GOD
When I hear somebody sigh that Life is hard, I am always tempted to ask, Compared to what?

If we did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.

You see things; and you say Why? But I dream things that never were; and I say Why not?

It is a hard matter, my fellow citizens, to argue with the belly, since it has no ears.

SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot » Sat May 10, 2003 7:41 pm

I really have been questioning if there was a god for about two years; fyi-i am 15 yrs. old. One day i asked my mom about if there was a god and everything and she flipped out on me. In my opinion, i am a person that belives what is possible. What all happened with the water splitting and everything doesn't seem logical, you know? I have never read the bible and truthfully i don't plan on it. I go to church with my family and it seems like they always contradict themself. My friend and I talked about it during math class, whoops wasn't paying attention in math :D, and i asked her if she beileved about Jesus and such, and she said she was uncertain. In my opinion it is one of those things that you choose if you want to belive in. My friend puts it like this: Religious things are such things that are told to have an excuse for something, like telling children about Santa Clause, you can choose to believe or not, but sometime you will come across some information that you find unreal. Well i hope this helped some! Later!

faith
Veteran

Post by faith » Sat May 10, 2003 10:57 pm

yea i really feel theres a god
~God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. psalm 46:1-2

~God created people in his own image; God patterned them after himself Genesis 1:27

~Stop judging others, and u will not be judged. Stop criticizing others, or it will all come back on u. Luke 6:37

~There are "friends" who destroy eachother but a real freind sticks closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24

~A fool is quick tempered but a wise person stays calm when insulted. Proverbs 12:16

~The tounge is a small thing but what enormous damage it can do. James 3:5

~Even if my father and mother abandon me the Lord will hold me close. Psalm 27:10

~Get rid of all bitterness...instead be kind to eachother Ephesians 4:31-32

God bless

Love in christ--chelsea

Feel_Me_Out
Loyal

Post by Feel_Me_Out » Sun May 11, 2003 12:47 am

i have faith that there is a higher power in charge of all this insanity. don't know if its taking a crap or what, but hopefully things will get in order eventually. religion doesn't matter, as long as people are kind and loving to one another. none of this petty i'm right and you're wrong stuff, its pointless. just be nice children!
<span style=\'color:orange\'I hate the way things are going/like im stuck in some twisted paradox/i hate to see without knowing/its not showing, did i miss a sign?/I'll live forever in a dream/safer than consciously burning myself out/this place is never as it seems/im not sure what it means, to have a perfect life ---(part of a song of mine)

She
Veteran

Post by She » Sun May 11, 2003 10:44 am

Christian God?

Christianity has been changed to benefit such unchristian causes that I think even if there is a God we're so far off-track with modern-day institutions that it's really pointless to follow any of them (does it say ANYWHERE in the Bible that you have to go to Church every Sunday?)

The Pope for centuries wasn't even Catholic--he bought the position. It's straightened out now, but sure. A hundred, two hundred years ago everyone FEARED God. Now God is like your best friend that loves you and cares for you and forgives you no matter what. The concept of Hell and Satan is even relatively new.

*shrugs* Some could argue that throughout the years God is only correcting what we got wrong the first time, but... I dunno, there's too much going against it for me to really say there is.

As for just a god(s) or higher power in general, I think if there is a god there's more than one, but the latter (a higher power) is more likely to me.
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

--Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

She
Veteran

Post by She » Sun May 11, 2003 10:44 am

Posted twice. Apologies.
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

--Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams » Sun May 11, 2003 11:58 am

I don't believe in God or anything like that. I'm trying out crystals and natural forces for the time being though.