Bible = Fairytale

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

Nj
Veteran

Bible = Fairytale

Post by Nj » Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:40 pm

Doesn't the bible seem like a fairy tale like Marry had a little lamb with all its different versions?

I think so.
--nj

Nj
Veteran

Re: Bible = Fairytale

Post by Nj » Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:10 pm

yeah i'd agree with you on that, the religion seems a bit far fetched but don't all religions?
--nj

Adnama
Veteran

Post by Adnama » Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:55 pm

Thers TONS of scientific things in the bible, if you're open minded enough to look past all of your suposed "contridictions". here's some of the things that i've seen:

The bible says: The earth is a sphere (isaiah 40:22)

Science now says: The earth is a sphere

When the bible was writtein science said: The earth was a flat disk

Bible: Incalcuable Number of stars (Jeremiah 33:22)

Now: Incalcuable number of stars

Then: only 1,100 stars

bible: Free float of earth in space (job 26:7)

Now: Free float of earth in space

Then: Earth sat on a large animal

Bible: Creation made of invisible elements (Hebrews 11:3).

Now: Creation made of invisible elements

Then: Sceicne was ignorant on the subject

Bible: Each star is different (1 Corinthians 15:41).

Now: Each star is different

Then: All stars were the same

Bible: Light moves(Job 38:19,20).

Now: Light moves

Then: Light fixed in place

Bible: Air has weight (job 28:25)

Now: Air has weight

THen: Air was weightless

Bible: Winds blow in cyclones (Ecclesiastes 1:6).

Now: Winds blow in cyclones.

Then: Winds blew straight.

Bible: Blood is the source of life and health(Leviticus 17:11).

Now: Blood is the source of life and health.

Then: Sick people must be bled.

Bible: Ocean floor contains deep valleys and mountains (2 Samuel 22:16; Jonah 2:6).

Now: Ocean floor contains deep valleys and mountains.

Then: The ocean floor was flat.

Bible: Ocean contains springs (Job 38:16).

Now: Ocean contains springs.

Then: Ocean fed only by rivers and rain.

Bible: When dealing with disease, hands should be washed under running water (Leviticus 15:13). Now: When dealing with disease, hands should be washed under running water.

Then: Hands washed in still water.
"It's just not the same when you're staring into a perfect golden sunset,

And thinking about how you sold your soul to send the rain away"

-Mineral "Slower"

"And the very fear that makes you want to die

Is just the same as what keeps you alive..."

-Barenaked Ladies, "War on drugs"

My blog of depressed rants: http://sendtherainaway.blogspot.com/

Adnama
Veteran

Post by Adnama » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:14 pm

Haha! I wish! Yeah i know that basicly, but i could never recall it all compleat with versises that fast =P Nah, i originaly saw that on a sight a while back, and i'd posted it before, and i went and found that post hehe. :D

Ah well, what matters it if i can think of it like that that fast? That dosnt make it all any less true!

-Mineral "Slower"

FiZzBaW
Veteran

Post by FiZzBaW » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:34 pm

I just want to comend all of you for your wonderful and insightful post, but most of all THANKS for keeping this a disscussion rather than a fight. Also, Thanks for not valuing your opinion over anyone elses and following the other forum rules, If we all keep this up the religion forum may be able to stay sane and useful.

Also, I do not think that the bible is like a fairytale, its more like a book of lessons in my opinion.

-GOD BLESS-

-FiZz :)
Click to Email Me

AIM: fizzbaw05

Visit our Live Chat or use IRC: irc.helpingteens.org

----

"I helped save Jericho!" Facebook Group

Adnama
Veteran

Post by Adnama » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:36 pm

Well i always try to keep it to a "desscuion" instead of a "fight"....

just dosnt always work... lol!

And i know there are more of those scientific facts... *goes off to do a seach*

-Mineral "Slower"

She
Veteran

Post by She » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:42 pm

Then there's also Jesus feeding thousands with a loaf of bread and a fish, walking on water, turning water into wine, Noah bringing EVERY animal onto a ship when he couldn't have possibly collected every species of animal from every recess of the earth. There's a man parting the ocean. There is a voice speaking to these dudes from the clouds. There's a man that comes back from the dead, for Christ's sake! No pun intended ;) But yes, I'm just listing off a few examples from the better known stories.

Really, when you look at it, a lot of what Christianity teaches is no more far out there than any other religion. This is another reason I'm a skeptic.
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

--Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

FiZzBaW
Veteran

Post by FiZzBaW » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:45 pm

you make a very valid point, however the bible is not truely intended to be taken literally. It is hard to determine what is and isn't to be taken literally, but alot of the parables in the bible are for teaching lessons only. they really are not to be taken as history :-)

-Just thought I would share that-

-GOD BLESS-

-FiZz :)
Click to Email Me

----

Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister » Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:48 am

I'll say that the Bible is a realistic story... if you look at it with that magical realism sense. It's not like Jesus caused the sun to come up in the West or anything, but some of the things require a bit of faith to believe. I'd say that some parts of the Bible aren't to be taken literally. Obviously you shouldn't poke out your eye or cut off your hand if it is causing you to sin, but at the same time, some things (aka JESUS) should be taken literally because they are cornerstones of the Christian faith.

TJ
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.

Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister » Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:01 pm

I agree with you Larry.

TJ
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.

Cindy
Veteran

Post by Cindy » Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:02 pm

Actually i'd have to agree with Nick. the bible seems like a huge farytale. I mean ho9w many read the bible? GREAT collection of stories. Just stories. Some old herrmit probilty got tired and bored and decided to write a book called the "Bible" with a bunch of stories that he made up since he lived alone. along came some man that found the book, remember some "savor" type person saying somthing that sounded like Bible and picked it up and said "ITS THE LORDS WORDS!!!!" and from then on thats what it was thought of.... makes a bunch of sence to me......

(Please no one take offence to this, if you do, please PM me first before anyone elce....)

Cindy
<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->The Support Group Rules Read them, live by them, and worship them

<strong class='bbc'>"Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood." -Marie Curie[/b]

itsme
Veteran

Post by itsme » Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:06 pm

i dont agree that its a fairy tale or that its just a books of stories. To me its like a guide for life. it has nothing to do with stories. The stories that are in the bible aren't just there for entertainment, they have a reason for being there. I think its kewl Adnama how u got all that stuff to prove everything. To me its like all every1 had to do to find the answers to their scientific question or w/e was to jus look in the bible for it.
PICTURES.

"Picture the scene, where whatever you thought, would in the blink of an eye manifest and become illustrated. You'd be sure man that every line drawn reflected a life that you loved not an existence that you hated."- incubus

"I'm Sick of Painting in Black and White. My Pen is dry, now I'm uptight. So sick of limiting myself to fit your definition. Redefine."- incubus

FiZzBaW
Veteran

Post by FiZzBaW » Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:41 pm

I do not think that the bible is a collection of fairy tales in the way that they are useless. The bible is a collection of Parables, or stories to teach a lesson. The parables give a guide or point you in the right direction as to the way to live your life, if you would like to live as Christ did.

As a comment to cindy, I respect your opinion on the bible, but i do feel that you should have a little background on the thought to make such a sweeping statement. The bible was written by many over a long period of time, and science is actually being used to determine when each book was written. Also scientist have discovered "Q source" and many other intersting things. Most scientist agree today that your assumtion could be proven wrong with science, though i believe with faith, and science just reinforces that.

-Just thouht I would share my thoughts-

-GOD BLESS-

-FiZz
Click to Email Me

----

Bleeding~Hero
Loyal

Post by Bleeding~Hero » Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:56 pm

Iv'e read some of it, and i hear versus from it constanly, but yeah, to me some of it does sound like a fairy tale. And I don't want to bring any one down, but i'm trying to spread the word, Egypt never had slaves! I know this because iv'e studied it for a long time.