Atheism

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

imsoevil
Loyal

Atheism

Post by imsoevil » Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:15 pm

I've always wondered what Atheism is exactly. Is it just not believing in God? or is there more to it? I've been asked so many times if I'm Atheist. I just want to know more details about what Atheism is exactly. Can anyone help?
"Don't hate me because I wasn't who you thought I was , or who you wanted me to be. From the beginning , you never knew who I was."

FiZzBaW
Veteran

Re: Atheism

Post by FiZzBaW » Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:32 pm

To answer your question...

To my knowledge Atheism simply means that you do not beileve in a " super- being" or a "GOD".

Here is the dictionary version :-)

a?the?ism Audio pronunciation of Atheism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (th-zm)

n.

1. Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.

2. The doctrine that there is no God or gods.

2. Godlessness; immorality.

-Hope this helped-

-FiZz
Click to Email Me

AIM: fizzbaw05

Visit our Live Chat or use IRC: irc.helpingteens.org

----

"I helped save Jericho!" Facebook Group

Bleeding~Hero
Loyal

Post by Bleeding~Hero » Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:00 pm

Atheism is just a belief, and no, not a religous one because Atheist's don't believe in it. it's a belief that people just don't believe in God, or just follow scientific beliefs, there are alot of equations that end in Athiesm.

??Evol_AFI??
Loyal

Post by ??Evol_AFI?? » Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:01 am

hmm....i kinda agree with the agnostic one...but im not that skeptical! does it make sence for me to believe in ghosts? cuz dude idk im just in love with ghosts...and that whole thing.

She
Veteran

Post by She » Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:34 pm

Atheism is no organized religion at all. Literally, "no God'. It's merely an adjective to describe onesself. Instead of taking the time to say, "I don't believe in God," you can just say, "I'm an atheist." Basically. The two may have different connotations, depending on who you're around, but that's all atheism is.

Agnosticism works the same way. It's just saying that you believe we can't know whether or not there's a God. Some agnostics are waiting for proof, others think proof cannot be found. So basically "undecided", I guess. There COULD be a God, but it's just as likely there's not.

Neither imply belonging to a specific organization or religion. If you fit into the dictionary definition, that's what you are. ;)

And neither of these say anything about your belief in anything else metaphysical. They just deal with God(s).
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

--Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

Jess
Veteran

Post by Jess » Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:29 pm

thats stupid. i would bring that up to an administrator at the school. it sounds like a double standard to me...and some of you already know my views on double standards! <_<
Image the banana dance will live on!Image

She
Veteran

Post by She » Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:35 pm

Seriously! You could SO take that to court.

Or at least contact the American Civil Liberties Union (http://www.aclu.org/) and they'll do it or help you out.

I cannot believe that! On what grounds do they have to deny an atheism club? Well, I'm not sure what you'd do.. sit around and talk about a lack of God? :P
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

--Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

FiZzBaW
Veteran

Post by FiZzBaW » Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:26 pm

Lets stick to the topic guys :wacko:

-FiZz
Click to Email Me

AIM: fizzbaw05

Visit our Live Chat or use IRC: irc.helpingteens.org

----

"I helped save Jericho!" Facebook Group