RAsta fer I

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

girlyluvR4life
Loyal

RAsta fer I

Post by girlyluvR4life » Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:15 pm

hi, yes, i am rastafarian. and I love my religion more than nething. my heart is in my religion and i try to act upon what i have been taught through it. Is there neone *out there* (ha, sounds all weird, how bout is there neone in the forums) who shares the same religion as I? or who wants to indelve into learning more about this religion? unlike popular beleifes, you do *not* have to be an african american to be rastafarian. It is not the skin color which determines your religion, it is your spirit that determines it.
I'm a gardener of TWO KINDS baby ;)

someone PLEASE knock a hole n my head, i can't wait to kiss this "life" goodbye.

Dots
Loyal

Re: RAsta fer I

Post by Dots » Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:44 pm

Meh...all the super spiritual religions don't appeal much to me...they seem much too "fake"...Like you're just lieing to yourself to feel peaceful...

BUT...Look at my avatar;) ;) ;)

She
Veteran

Post by She » Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:39 pm

What exactly is it? Like, basic beliefs in a nutshell? I'm interested in religions in general.
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

--Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

girlyluvR4life
Loyal

Post by girlyluvR4life » Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:08 am

rastafarianism is not a super spiritual religion, it is just a spiritual reliogion as with all religions in general. being a rasta means being devoted to your reliogion. you have to be devout, you cant just say your a rasta and not fullfill in the activities and sacrements that come with it. rastafarianism is like a subreligion in monotheism.originated in the heart of africa, in the nile region.At the heart of Rastafari lie the Egyptian mysteries, the sort that may be found in The Egyptian Book of the Dead. The elements of Judaism within Rastafari are themselves an offspring of Egyptian mysticism. This became institutionalised by Moses; when adopted by the High Priest's daughter in Egypt, he was taught the principles of Osiris, Isis and other Egyptian gods. you have one god, JAH(jehovah), who is the mighty alliving god. He is more of an entity you could say.The ethiopian orthodox church had considerable influence on the 225th king (descended directly from King David, who, in turn, was descended from Moses). Haile Selassie(sp?) was crowned the emperor of ethiopia in the 30's. Ethiopia is an african nation who was finally given independence from Italy in the early 30's. (31,32, or 37 i think?) The africans in ethiopia wanted to be led to freedom from the opression they had been suffering. a prophet onced stated that the living god would come and help begin the revolution which would lead the africans to their homeland(zion, jerusalem) and freedom. this was coined exodus, the travel in general. zionism, is probably one of the religious movements which helped to begin rastafarianism. music is a huge part of being rasta, in that rastas help to spread/ preach about their religion through music. bob marley in the 60's and 70's helped to spread his partake in rastafarianism through his reggae music.Rastafarians acknowledge that their religion is the blending of the purest forms of both Judaism and Christianity; they also accept the Egyptian origins of both these religions. rastas dont have to, but preffered can engage in the spiritual sacrements throught which this religion is shown. smoking herb( marijuana) is one of these. they considered it a 'religious rite' and believed that since it was found growing on the grave of King Solomon( citing biblical passages, such as Psalms 104:14, to attest to its sacramental properties): "He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man, that he may bring forth food out of the earth." maintainin and 'ital' diet, and the world renown dreadlocks was also Good.ital," a Rasta term meaning pure, natural or clean, was forbidden."They also outlawed was the combing or cutting of hair, citing the holy directive in Leviticus 21:5: "They shall not make baldness upon their head, neither shall they shave off the corner of their beard, nor make any cuttings in their flesh.sorry thats all i have time to write for, but hopefully this has helped a little.

someone PLEASE knock a hole n my head, i can't wait to kiss this "life" goodbye.

Dots
Loyal

Post by Dots » Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:19 am

Meow... Just because that era is my "thing" I thought I'd help you out with Ethiopia, even though it has nothing to do with topic:)

Ethiopia was one of the few African nations that was NOT colonized. The Italian army invaded in 1896 but was defeated at the battle of Aduwa. You're probably thinking of the Italian invasion in 1935 under Mussolini, where the Ethiopia, then known as Abyssinia got the crap kicked out of it. Then came WWII, and Ethiopia was liberated and the modern state created.

-------------------------

NOW then...Sorry about that, I'm just very picky about early 20th century history.

Sorry if my first post bothered you - I didn't mean to say it was overly spiritual...and I had little knowledge of Rastafarianism, and I certainly didn't know the roots you explained. I assumed it to be more of a theoretical spiritualist faith like Buddhism or Wiccanism...

The stuff you have at the end - the modern practices...not cutting hair, not shaving corners, smoking ganja is more of what I knew...I guess that's probably because most of us learn about Rastafarianism from tha' Bob-Mon. LoL...

Thanks for information...you have any links? It seems interesting - not too logical for conversion to me; there'd be too many loopholes just like in most religions for me - so its not my thing, but it does internest me.

girlyluvR4life
Loyal

Post by girlyluvR4life » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:51 pm

haha your first post didnt bother me, i was just makin sure to gt te point cross that its not 'over' spiritual. haha btw, i like the icon thing(avatar).haha, thank you for correcting me with my ethiopian history, i had remember that it was in the 30's, yet i didnt know what exact date. but yes, i can gladly provide you with some links about rastafarianism.

bob marley[center][p]

rastafari[center][p]

dread history[center][p]good rasta sight[center][p]rastafari times[center][p]rastafarianism

girlyluvR4life
Loyal

Post by girlyluvR4life » Sat Jan 11, 2003 1:27 am

no if it were that we were 'ripping' off of other religions, then the same thing could be said bout every religion. rastafarianism is just a faction of a larger religious group ( christianity)

PurplePoemPuppet
Veteran

Post by PurplePoemPuppet » Sat Jan 11, 2003 3:27 am

Originally posted by rastask8chick@Jan 10 2003, 09:27 PM

no if it were that we were 'ripping' off of other religions, then the same thing could be said bout every religion. rastafarianism is just a faction of a larger religious group ( christianity)

You know, if you read that the right way, it looks as though you're saying christianity is the 'right' religion (and I use the word 'right' very loosely, for lack of a better word). Of course, though, this is all in the hypothetical sense. IF rastafarianism is just like every other religious group ripping off other religions and being one part of a bigger picture, then Christianity would be like the beginning, the religion that started it all. Therefore, it'd be the first, therefore being more likely the religion God wants us to follow (if you're going along with this whole Christianity thing). But then again, I don't think actual Christianity is supposed to be multiple religions under the same God... I mean, it's all a little different in each place. Claimed Christians are all different just by themselves. And I find myself losing myself in my thoughts (<~~ Haha, that sounds funny) so I doubt I made much sense of anything with this post. I suggest not taking this post tooo seriously, it's late and my brain just isn't functioning right (as usual).

*If I only had a brain...* (that worked right)
Email: SMyers017@gmail.com

AIM: PurplePoemPuppet

girlyluvR4life
Loyal

Post by girlyluvR4life » Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:22 pm

theoretically by my last statement
yes, i would b sayin that it is a 'ripoff' in bunt terms. however its not a complete ripoff. there are many parts of rastafarianism that were brought into a religious perspective through the rastafari ppl. a lot of the sacrements and such were new additions to the overall outlook on this particular type of christianity. ( religion, if you prefer) there is NOT just 'ONE TRUE FORM' of christianity, CHRISTINAITY is the overall word for the beleifes that follows the 'bible', God, Jesus, etc. you cant say, well hey im goin to a christian church today. because that is not a politicaly correct statement, you could say 'im goin to a baptist, methodist, eastern orthodox, catholic, etc. just to name a few.

She
Veteran

Post by She » Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:31 pm

My religion isn't a rip off! I believe in.. damn. Yes it is.
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

--Ecclesiastes 3:1-8