Where's the black or white?

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

Dots
Loyal

Where's the black or white?

Post by Dots » Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:50 pm

My mother's biggest mistake in trying to explain why I'm being forced to attend mass constantly was...

...telling me that there is a clear black and white to everything; she says there is a good and a bad. She believes the human mind has twisted this black and white into new shades of grey but in the beginning there was only black and white.

--------

Um...At last mass...I found two sorta' startling greys in which I can not find a black or white.

"Can you lend me a helping hand?" - What is the difference between lending someone a helping hand and a handjob? A handjob offers a helping hand and lending a helping hand is in effect using a hand to assist another.

"...a death he freely accepted." - What is the difference between Christ's dieing and assisted suicide? Christ was dieing for something he believed in; but he in effect could have supposedly prevented this from happening even if by denying his faith. But he doesn't. He allows himself to die. Is it better to commit an offset of suicide - letting yourself die when you can prevent it - or to deny your religion?

PurplePoemPuppet
Veteran

Re: Where's the black or white?

Post by PurplePoemPuppet » Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:44 am

Email: SMyers017@gmail.com

AIM: PurplePoemPuppet

Dots
Loyal

Post by Dots » Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:01 am

Sorta'...Yes, he could deny his father... He could have saved himself in other ways. You didn't quite explain why he allowed himself to be killed, when many religions view suicide or forms of it as a sin.

Umm...And yeah, its a twist of words AND ideas...But philosophically, ignoring the exact words...Is it moral to help someone by doing something "sinful"?

Where do you draw the line?

PurplePoemPuppet
Veteran

Post by PurplePoemPuppet » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:46 am

Originally posted by Dots@Jan 14 2003, 08:01 PM

when many religions view suicide or forms of it as a sin.

Umm...And yeah, its a twist of words AND ideas...But philosophically, ignoring the exact words...Is it moral to help someone by doing something "sinful"?

Where do you draw the line?

I think this is where a LOT of controversy comes in. Especially about what rules are better to follow than others.

Many religions have various viewpoints and the question is, do those religions have the right ideas? It's really only because they're so widespread that it is usually believed they are right. They may have justifications and such, but I tend to think that individually things much be figured out.

I think another question might be, what else was he going to do? Put up a fight? I think he let it be because it was pointless to put up such a fight to get out of what was supposed to come anyway. I dont' know that it's a form of suicide, I just plain don't know. And yes though, if you look at in the right frame of mind, it probably is. Meh, I'm not one to really say... I haven't studied up enough.

With the example of lending a helping hand... is what the person asking for right in the first place? The whole point of lending a "helping hand" is to help out the person who's asking right? Are you going to give someone the knife that they will cut themselves with (and possibly kill themselves with) if they asked for it? I dont' believe so, that'd be doing something sinful that would probably be a greater sin right? You have to pick and choose and be sure that what you're doing to help someone is really helping them, not just giving satisfaction.

Dots
Loyal

Post by Dots » Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:28 pm

Your last example...There have been times when I've let my close friends cut, when I've just nodded along and agreed with their misery...

...because that's what seemed "right."

I don't think there is any true "right" or "wrong' with anything - BUT I guess you could advocate what your religious organization chooses...

Thanks.

PurplePoemPuppet
Veteran

Post by PurplePoemPuppet » Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:01 am

Originally posted by Dots@Jan 15 2003, 12:28 PM

...because that's what seemed "right."

And see, that's the thing. "What seemed 'right...'" Where does the definition of what is "right" come in? What is the definition? That's where we have freethinkers who come up with whatever they want. It's asking where we stand on our morals... and where we do stand is defined by us, the thinkers. That's why we have a screwy world. People think for themselves and stem their beliefs and morals from what they hear, see, and experience. Another question is: from a person's experience, has what they've made as their defined beliefs 'right?' (And now you see we've ended up at the beginning to the question: "what is right?" ~~ Insane isn't it!)