Uu

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

DreamPixie
Veteran

Uu

Post by DreamPixie » Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:05 am

my friend and a lot of her friends from her old town are UU. anyone here go to a unitarian church or anything? i'm going to find out more about the religion, but i can copy/paste the basic beliefs from my friend's journal if anyone cares, i'm just trying to educate myself though. the beliefs aren't really specific anyway, there are a lot of differences in the people that practice it. i've been wanting to join a church though, i just don't like christian churches, and my friend says i can still have my christian beliefs and be UU. and they are for equal rights for homosexuals, don't think that they're evil, and work to make the world better through equality and helping the poor and such. it's definitely a peaceful, loving religion. ok, time to go learn.
~The best thing about being happy is thinking that you will never be unhappy again.

~Life's too short to be anything but happy.

~I<3Mike.

Dots
Loyal

Re: Uu

Post by Dots » Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:41 pm

My friend is Unitarian; they seem alright...

...they're more of just 'whatevers' - they don't have very strict views about anything, but they still meet and relax and unite.

...give it a looksy.

DreamPixie
Veteran

Post by DreamPixie » Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:57 pm

Like dots said it's a very "whatever" religion. Basically they believe in God, just in varying forms, and there are various views of the afterlife as well. You can check out http://www.uua.org for information from the UU Association. It's all built on acceptance as far as I can tell. Liberal Christians can belong to UU churches [that's me]. Um, since I've never actually been to a UU church I don't know how accurate I am. But I'm going in 2 weeks, so maybe I'll know more then. :0)
~The best thing about being happy is thinking that you will never be unhappy again.

~I<3Mike.

DreamPixie
Veteran

Post by DreamPixie » Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:59 pm

oh ya, from beliefnet.com [my friend verified that it's accurate info tho]

What Unitarian Universalists Believe

Belief in Deity

Very diverse beliefs--Unitarian/Universalists welcome all deity beliefs as well as nontheistic beliefs. Some congregations are formed for those who share a common belief, e.g. Christianity.

? Incarnations

Very diverse beliefs, including belief in no incarnations, or that all are the embodiment of God. Some believe Christ is God's Son, or not Son but "Wayshower."

? Origin of Universe and Life

Diverse beliefs, but most believe in the Bible as symbolic and that natural processes account for origins.

? After Death

Diverse beliefs, but most believe that heaven and hell are not places but are symbolic. Some believe heaven and hell are states of consciousness either in life or continuing after death; some believe in reincarnation; some believe that afterlife is nonexistent or not known or not important, as actions in life are all that matter.

? Why Evil?

Most do not believe that humanity inherited original sin from Adam and Eve or that Satan actually exists. Most believe that God is good and made people inherently good but also with free will and an imperfect nature that leads some to immoral behavior. Diverse beliefs. Some believe wrong is committed when people distance themselves from God. Some believe in ?karma,? that what goes around comes around. Some believe wrongdoing is a matter of human nature, psychology, sociology, etc.

? Salvation

Some believe in salvation through faith in God and Jesus Christ, along with doing good works and doing no harm to others. Many believe all will be saved, as God is good and forgiving. Some believe in reincarnation and the necessity to eliminate personal greed or to learn all of life?s lessons before achieving enlightenment or salvation. For some, the concepts of salvation or enlightenment are irrelevant or disbelieved.

? Undeserving Suffering

Diverse beliefs. Most Unitarians do not believe that Satan causes suffering. Some believe suffering is part of God?s plan, will, or design, even if we don?t immediately understand it. Some don?t believe in any spiritual reasons for suffering, and most take a humanistic approach to helping those in need.

? Contemporary Issues

The Unitarian Universalist Association?s stance is to protect the personal right to choose abortion. Other contemporary views include working for equality for homosexuals, gender equality, a secular approach to divorce and remarriage, working to end poverty, promoting peace and nonviolence, and environmental protection.

~I<3Mike.

frost
Loyal

Post by frost » Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:50 pm

thanx

i wanted to know what UU is as well...
Trying to find my way out..

but the rain keeps getting in the way..

She
Veteran

Post by She » Sun Jan 26, 2003 11:43 pm

So essentially it's, "if you're breathing, you can be a UU!" :P Sounds good to me.
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

--Ecclesiastes 3:1-8