Do I Really Own My Body?

Are you having trouble with your family or friends? Please talk it out with us.

Moderator: Sex & Relationships Moderators

WalmRtJunkie
Loyal

Do I Really Own My Body?

Post by WalmRtJunkie » Sun Jan 26, 2003 9:11 pm

Ok, I'm almost 15 and I've been begging my parents to let me get my belly button pierced. My life was really hard until I was about 10, so I was forced to grow up really fast. My life is great now, and I love my parents... but the damage has already been done and it's too late for them to take back their mistakes. So now I'm mature beyond my years, but I feel like I'm getting all the responsibilities of being grown up without any of the freedoms and benefits. All of my friends are guys, and that worries my parents because they think that belly button piercings are a sex symbol, and if I get it done then my friends will see me in a different light. They don't realize that belly button piercings are really very common now, and they're not some sexually explicit shocking body piercing any more. I see a bunch of girls around me getting their belly button pierced for their 15th birthday. It just makes me sick to see all these little immature girls getting to do whatever they want while I'm 10 times more mature than them and I can't do anything. That's not even the point though, and I don't only want to do it just because everyone else is. I've been wanting to do this for a few years now, and my mom told me when I was 12 that I could get it done when I turned 15. Now she's remembering it as her saying "maybe", which is a complete lie. Lying is considered a really bad thing in my family because trust is extremely important to us, so this hurts. My parents have some kind of control over everything I have and everything I do. I thought I at least owned my own body and had some say as to what happens to it. I guess I was wrong. It's vital for me to feel some sense of control, or I become unstable. It's not a sex symbol, and it's not uncommon anymore. I'm doing it for myself, and it's not like I'm going to be going around lifting up my shirt and showing it to everyone. My parents are completely Hell-bent on this issue, but they always give me a fair opportunity to change their mind if I give them relevant reasons. How can I present this in a sophisticated fashion without seeming like I'm whining, and how can I make them see the piercing for what it really is instead of something slutty?
I forgot to pay the electricity bill on my mind... therefore, my thoughts are dark.

Image,

Krystena

WalmRtJunkie
Loyal

Re: Do I Really Own My Body?

Post by WalmRtJunkie » Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:46 am

Thanks Dustin... so how do you get it done with professionally without a guardian's consent? I've pierced my belly button my self a few times, but I always came to the conclusion that doing it unsafely by my self is surely not the best way to show maturity. So I always took it out before my parents could ever find out. I don't want this to damage my relationship with them, but I feel that they shouldn't be letting an issue this simple damage our relationship in the first place. They said they will lose respect for me if I ever get it done. I'll wait until I'm 30 to get it done if that's how long it takes to get them to approve of it. The issue for me here isn't just being able to get it done, because if it was then I'd just do it myself and leave it in. The issue is getting them to respect the fact that my body is my body, and I'm growing up whether they like it or not. I know I don't like it either, but I might as well get some of the benefits of it if I have no choice anyways, right? The reason I want it is because I personally think it looks cute, the same reasons I got my ears pierced, and the same reason I dress the way I do. I told my parents that and they were just like, "OK. So you're doing for yourself, and you say you're not going to go around showing everyone? Then, what's the point of getting it? Are you just going to stare at it while you're sitting around at home?" I don't know how to answer to that. I mean, people would see it when I wore a bikini and stuff like that in the summer, but it's not like my school dress code allows me to wear midrift bearing tops or anything. I really don't know how to say why I want it... I just do. By the way, is a belly button piercing really a sex symbol? I can understand a tongue piercing because, well... you do stuff with your tongue. I don't see how your belly button has anything to do with sexuality though.
I forgot to pay the electricity bill on my mind... therefore, my thoughts are dark.

Image,

Krystena

Sky
Veteran

Post by Sky » Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:03 pm

:lol: :) parents are like that and there is hardly anyway u can change em LOL

:ph34r: Sorry
<span style=\'font-family:Times\'Something told the wild geese

It was tine to go

Through the fields lay golden

Something wispered- "SNOW"

Leaves were green and stirring

Berries,luster-glossed

But beneath the warm feathers

Something cautioned- "FROST"

All the sagging orchards

Steamed With amber spice

But each wild breast stiffened

At rembered ice

Something told the wild geese

It was time to fly-

Summer sun was on their wings

Winter in their cry

sexyheather
Veteran

Post by sexyheather » Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:16 am

well it is kinda a sex symbol even if it is really common, but i don't find it bad! i'm getting mine done next week! my mom is very religious and it wasn't too easy to convince her (i'm 16), but the way i got her was by promising i wouldn't get any other piercings or tats if she let me get this one. (i wouldn't anyway, i don't want any other ones, but she doesn't need to know that!) also, tell her you can take it out anytime after 3 months so if you're going anywhere where she'd rather you not where it you can take it out and the hole isn't going to be huge and conspicuous.
The quote that saved my life, "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

WalmRtJunkie
Loyal

Post by WalmRtJunkie » Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:57 am

Thank you guys so much for the great advice... keep it flowing!

Image,

Krystena