Where Do They Get All Of This From?

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

FiZzBaW
Veteran

Re: Where Do They Get All Of This From?

Post by FiZzBaW » Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:59 pm

You kinda ansewered your question with your question about the confession and blessing of the children, Those are symbolic "Tradtions".

tra?di?tion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (tr-dshn)

n.

The passing down of elements of a culture from generation to generation, especially by oral communication.

A mode of thought or behavior followed by a people continuously from generation to generation; a custom or usage.

A set of such customs and usages viewed as a coherent body of precedents influencing the present: followed family tradition in dress and manners. See Synonyms at heritage.

A body of unwritten religious precepts.

A time-honored practice or set of such practices.

Law. Transfer of property to another

Sorry for the long definition, but basically its just tradtion, from the start of the church.

Now as far as i know, and i am catholic, the reading of the bible is in no way discouraged :-p

-GOD BLESS-

-FiZz
Click to Email Me

AIM: fizzbaw05

Visit our Live Chat or use IRC: irc.helpingteens.org

----

"I helped save Jericho!" Facebook Group

Jake
Loyal

Post by Jake » Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:40 pm

It's sad, but many many religions that follow The Bible tend to bend its word for its advantage, taking peices from the scripture instead of taking God's word as a whole. I belive this is what is up with the anti-contraceptive aproach.

As for the confessions: I belive, if I'm not mistaken, that this is the catholic church's way of doing what many christian churches do(including mine).......which would be "professing your life to Christ". However, with christian churches we don't treat preasts as a way to God, but instead a guide to His Word. (we don't talk to the preist, we pray to God).

-Jake
-Jacob Wilson

Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister » Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:01 pm

What is up with everyone wanting to rag on Catholicism lately!? Just wondering, I'm not offended by it or anything. All I have to say to a lot of people (discretion on the names) are basing a lot of what they think of Catholicism on old notions of Catholicism. Since Vatican II, there have been and continue to be a lot of internal changes going on in the Catholic church.

The contraceptive thing (I agree with this viewpoint) is basically saying that you shouldn't have sex unless you are willing to take responsibilities for the natural consequences of sex. If you are not ready to have a child, or father a child, you shouldn't have sex. Easy as that. Even if you use contraceptives, they are not 100% effective, and (in my opinion) is partially contributing to the irresponsibility of our society.

TJ
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.

FiZzBaW
Veteran

Post by FiZzBaW » Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:23 pm

I agree with weeds, the church is definatly changing. I don't want to sound like i am a through and through catholic, because i will be the first to tell you that the church has many flaws, but so does society and many other aspects of human nature, its not an excuse, but it takes time to get it right and the church is trying, and its up to our generation to change it even more.

I just wish people would not judge others and get to know the person not the labels and stereotypes of groups that the person belongs to.

-GOD BLESS-

-FiZz
Click to Email Me

----

FiZzBaW
Veteran

Post by FiZzBaW » Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:48 pm

I understand Dustin, I even find it confusing and i am a catholic. They have taken something very simple and made it really complicated, but i still feel that i am called to make it right, not to just abandon it, this is what i hope to do.

-GOD BLESS-

-FiZz
Click to Email Me

----

Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister » Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:57 pm

Yeah, it's ok Dustin, Catholicism can be very confusing! I myself felt the same way you did until I went to a Catholic high school!

TJ
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.

Dots
Loyal

Post by Dots » Fri Jan 31, 2003 11:24 pm

Thanks for the quote Larry...

I've mostly been raised in a Catholic Church, and I've never been confused at all...It's actually pretty simple - you sit there, listen, recieve eucharist [regarded at the body and blood of Christ]...

When you do something you consider a sin, you volunteerily go to confession.

BlahBlahBlah...there's really not much to it.

She
Veteran

Post by She » Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:54 pm

What are they getting out of making you confess though? Obviously they feel it's of some importance.
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

--Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

Dots
Loyal

Post by Dots » Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:49 pm

Helen - Yes it's just another part of organizing your life...Human beings organized themselves 10,000 years ago in Mesopotamia when they developed collective farming...The human entity can not survive without organization. So yeah, it's just a way of putting thoughts into actions; but what right do YOU or anyone else have to tell them not to do it?

She - They don't make you confess anything; If an individual feels the need to repent outwardly then he confesses volunteerily. The sessions are EXTREMLY private, a priest NEVER scolds you - it's pretty much like talking to yourself - but if people believe that God wants physical apology, I guess that is what they do.

FiZzBaW
Veteran

Post by FiZzBaW » Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:17 am

Let us all take 10 deep breaths before posting in this forum :-)

The Catholic Faith was NOT made up, Confession was institued by Jesus, Holy Communion ("the bread thing" as some of you refer to it) was also institued by Jesus (i believe it went something like "...Do this in memory of me...").

She Posted on Feb 1 2003, 10:54 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are they getting out of making you confess though? Obviously they feel it's of some importance.

MetalBassGirl Posted on Feb 1 2003, 10:32 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I beleive that all the Sins are just human nature and there is no way to aviod doing them, so its just a trap to get people to confess and stuff... Just what I think...

In reply to your post, Confession is not Forced, it is a voluntary thing. Confession is not a "Trap" it is an very useful outlet for your sins and it really feels awsome after you have had confession.

-Just a Little Light Shined on the conflicts forming on this forum topic-

-GOD BLESS-

-FiZz :)
Click to Email Me

----

FiZzBaW
Veteran

Post by FiZzBaW » Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:38 pm

GOD Never Changes. The TRUTH Never Changes.

We strive for the truth, therefore our ideas and ways of life change as we learn more about the truth, and the way GOD intended us to live.

This is why the Catholic Church during Vatican II changed its ways, the church was living in the past, but finally took a look into the light and saw how it was corrupted and neded reform, So we got reform and it was surely for the better. It is again time for reform, as i do not believe the bible or jesus intended for priest not to marry, or for people born gay to live chaste lives, We will see what the future holds, and I pray that the church will again change and become closer to the truth.

-Just my insight and hopes GOD BLESS-

-FiZz :blink:
Click to Email Me

----

Sky
Veteran

Post by Sky » Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:10 am

well it goes back as far back as far back as far back... as far back as 60AD so i guess they would have all these rituals...
<span style=\'font-family:Times\'Something told the wild geese

It was tine to go

Through the fields lay golden

Something wispered- "SNOW"

Leaves were green and stirring

Berries,luster-glossed

But beneath the warm feathers

Something cautioned- "FROST"

All the sagging orchards

Steamed With amber spice

But each wild breast stiffened

At rembered ice