What do I do...

How can this be happening? Why is it always me? Do you ever ask yourself these questions or do you simply want to vent? Do it all here, we'll try to help.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

Michie
Veteran

What do I do...

Post by Michie »

So I'm on university campus right now, wondering if I'm an idiot (and if not, why weird inconveniences happen to me specifically).

Here's my issue of the day:

At 5:00 pm, I attended a 'public speaking' series lecture, since I signed up for it and thought I should go, even though...I have TONS of studying to do (Midterms!!!) and I'm REALLY bad at studying in the first place (yesterday I got 0 done, the day before maybe 2 hours maximum).

I left my bookbag, which had pretty much ALL of my notes from all my courses, + books, in a secure office in my (Jewish) student club's lounge. I figured it was fine, the lounge hours are open til 8:00 pm this week. You know where this is going...I came back to the lounge after the lecture to see it locked up and empty (just a cleaning lady was there who let me into the lounge). As expected, the exec's secure office was...LOCKED. And everyone had left.

Wanna hear why?

Because there was a meeting going on at 5:00 about student politics in another room of the building, facilitated by students are members and/or leaders in our club (the political issue SHOULD have nothing to do with religion). From what I heard, there was a flood of students (dozens, or hundreds) outside the meeting, and they gravitated to our club's lounge, blockading the doors, banging on the doors, and verballing harassing anyone who was trying to get in or out. Security was called, and out of safety precautions, the lounge was closed and offices were locked. And I wasn't there to collect my bag :(

I called the exec of the group, and the only people who have the key is: him, or the student union's office, which was closed by the time I got there. So now, I have to wait for the poor exec to come back to campus and open the office for me to get my bag! What should I do? I feel bad for making the guy come back to campus for something as petty as a bookbag. (But I really need to study!) Or, should I sigh, call it a night and go home, and just get my stuff tomorrow midday when I come back to campus?
My tears will be hidden behind this fake grin

You can see me through these metal bars-I won't let you in

It's my life and I screwed it-You're not to blame

And though I keep on trying, it's so hard to change.

-Steph

My email- [email=""]steph_w_3000@hotmail.com[/email]

Email me if you wanna talk!
CausticTears
Veteran

Re: What do I do...

Post by CausticTears »

If you have an exam tomorrow, get your bag! If not, I'd say wait til tomorrow
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

-Leo Buscaglia

[HT Chat Room ][ HT Articles ]

Get your badges
Michie
Veteran

Re: What do I do...

Post by Michie »

I did collect my bag today.

But what matters more is what happened on campus yesterday to fellow students, and caused by fellow students. It was disgusting.

I can hardly imagine what it would have been like to be present at what happened yesterday: to be attacked by a mob of angry people, screaming, banging on the door, pushing their way to intimidate. They were shouting "Zionism is Racism" but what the situation demonstrated was an act of racism, of intimidation and verbal harassment against a minority race on campus. My friends were scared for their own safety.

While threads on this forum aren't the place for international news headlines, I have to speak out for my sake and for my fellow students sake. If you want to post this on Current Events that would be great (I don't want to double post). Racism on a university campus should never, EVER be okay, especially when the line is crossed from "Freedom of speech" to become "verbally (or physically) targeting individuals. I can't believe that anti-semetism is rising. What, should I be afraid to wear a shirt with an Israeli logo on it, just because some Pro-Palestinian will call me a Racist Zionist and who knows what else he'll do to me?

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blog ... rsity.aspx

In addition, last week, two Jewish students at the University of British Columbia were assaulted/roughed up by an individual, while in the dormitories. The individual was angry at the Jewish students for tearing down the Hamas posters he had on his door. He 'roughed up' the guys, which is bad enough (but fine, maybe he was an angry guy). The kicker is that, when he saw these boys had Star of David necklaces, he RIPPED them off of their necks.

http://www.cjnews.com/index.php?option= ... Itemid=101

Spread the word - Whether you support Israel for their Gaza operation or not (and I know that there's a hefty group of Jews that don't), whether you support Palestinians, there's a line to be drawn. Jews, Muslims, Chinese, Darfur, ANY RACE OR RELIGION have a right to live in peace, free from the threats on their safety and security. Whether in Canada, the US, Israel, or anywhere else.

We should not be silent when things like this happen.

First they came for the Communists,

and I didn’t speak up,

because I wasn’t a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews,

and I didn’t speak up,

because I wasn’t a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics,

and I didn’t speak up,

because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me,

and by that time there was no one

left to speak up for me.

-by Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945
My tears will be hidden behind this fake grin

You can see me through these metal bars-I won't let you in

It's my life and I screwed it-You're not to blame

And though I keep on trying, it's so hard to change.

-Steph

My email- [email=""]steph_w_3000@hotmail.com[/email]

Email me if you wanna talk!