Sick Of Softening What I Believe

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

turtbub
Veteran

Sick Of Softening What I Believe

Post by turtbub » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:43 pm

I was noticing something.

Since I've come to this site, my message of religion has been softened. Because I wanted you to like me and accept me and I was shying away from any confrontations because when I said what I really believed I was getting smashed for it.

But I'm done with that scared little Hannah.

Here's what I believe.

Real plain and simple in black and white, no cushions.

-Being gay is a sin. I will still love the people who are committing the sin, but that doesn't mean I agree with it. I think it is wrong.

-Sex before marriage is wrong.

-Jesus Christ is the one and only savior of the world and the only way to be saved is to trust in him and go to heaven.

-Anyone who does not believe in him is going to Hell.

That's what I believe.

And I'm sure that some people will be mad at me for some of those things.

But I've made friends here and I've met amazing people, but I realize that I'm not helping them OR myself by softening my religious beliefs.

I hope you all can accept that, and that I don't lose anyone because of it, but rather help some people get into the kingdom of Jesus Christ.

Hugs and Prayers, Hannah

Oh, and one more thing. I respect people of ALL religions and love them no matter what. It's their religious beliefs that I disagree with, not them as people. I hope you guys know that.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

Romans 5:8 "God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Mother Theresa

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.

Doug
Veteran

Re: Sick Of Softening What I Believe

Post by Doug » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:47 pm

Nobody's angry with you for your beliefs; I'm not sure what would give you that impression. They may disagree with you, but they're not going to hate you for your beliefs. Be proud of your beliefs, no matter what they are. You never know, we may all be wrong. We'll find out when we die. Always stand up for your beliefs; they are yours and nobody can take them away from you.

OI
"Yeah, I'm a great lesbian. Are you a good lesbian, Doug?" - Jenna

Beautiful
Veteran

Post by Beautiful » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:47 pm

Im glad you decided to do this. I'm not mad at you for it, I love you to death either way, Hannah :) Your a good friend of mine, and i'm happy for you that your not afraid to express how you feel about your religion. Its a good thing. I'm always here for ya babe :hug:
Little Miss F*cker,

Don't Move An Inch

I looked at myself

So many things I hate in me

So many things are so hard to believe

I can hear the whole world calling me

Used to be all that i wanted

You to see all that i you to be

does anyone care

Add me.

myspace

*Jamie*

Travis Michael <3.

Born Feb 9th, 2007

He has owns heart. :)

rogueangel
Loyal

Post by rogueangel » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:52 pm

I'm not mad at you, or anyone for their beliefs

As long as no - one is telling me what to believe I'm cool with whatever anyone else believes.

:hug:

FiZzBaW
Veteran

Post by FiZzBaW » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:02 pm

** Pats Hannah on the back **

GOOD JOB!!!

I just wanted to say that I am really proud of you and of all those who have responded to this thread so far, I find it awsome and great for people to actually admit their beliefs and for others to accept a person rather than attack them for what they believe.

Never soften what you believe in to suit others, and always respect people for what they believe... this is such a great example!

This makes me so happy because I am trained in promoting Diversity and I am trying to make all of these things happen in my community, this is a ray of light and hope :P and don't laugh at me for being so happy in this post, even though it is rather unusual... :shy:

-GOD BLESS

-Jared
Click to Email Me

AIM: fizzbaw05

Visit our Live Chat or use IRC: irc.helpingteens.org

----

"I helped save Jericho!" Facebook Group

turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:08 pm

Wow, I'm so happy for all the positive feedback. I was afraid that I would post this and get a bunch of bashings, but this just re-enforces how amazing all of you are. :)

Thank you for being so wonderful.

Haha, and Jared: I'm glad I could make your day a little brighter. :D
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

Romans 5:8 "God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

Paris In Flames
Veteran

Post by Paris In Flames » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:14 pm

Good for you.

And here's what I believe.

1. Religion is there for you because you're insecure about your lives.

2. You're blinded by your corrupt religion to believe that things are wrong because you are told to do so.

3. There is no heaven or hell. We rot when we die.

4. You can fuck whomever you want and it's your choice.

5. I pity those who so blindly follow something that has absolutely no evidence.

Then they tell me that I'm wrong for doing what feels right. At least I have a relationship. Some of you have a one sided relationship.

But it's cool that you're wlling to speak out now. It's a good trait.

Cheers,

Jenna
xMOSHx xHELLA HARDCOREx xBREAKDOWNx

The tragedy is the ignorance behind the clean casket

On the outside, they look so good

They're walking to Wallstreet in a straightjacket...

turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:16 pm

I knew I would get people who disagreed.

And I respect your right to disagree with me tenfold, Jenna.

And a few days ago I might have softened, bent a little to fit what you were saying.

But not anymore.

Now, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

And make the world a little more interesting.

:)

Hugs and prayers, Hannah

Jess
Veteran

Post by Jess » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:19 pm

i completely disagree with all of your beliefs. lol.

but i'm not only happy that you have not tried to force them on me, but i have a newfound respect for you for creating this post and sticking up for what you believe in. good for you!

<3 jess
Image the banana dance will live on!Image

turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:22 pm

Well thank you!

I appreciate that quite a lot.

And have a newfound respect for YOU for replying as you did.

You don't agree with me, and that's totally fine. But you still respect me.

That's awesome.

<3 right back, Hannah

jess_617
Veteran

Post by jess_617 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:24 pm

Hannah,

Youve been my friend for awhile now and Ive always respected your eagerness and willingness to tell someone exactly what you think but not criticize them if they disagree. I hope you know that.

I dont agree with your alot of your views...but Ive always respected them and loved that you respected mine in return. So just so you know babe. Im glad you spoke up. Never change who you are and what you believe to be accepted. What you believe is who you are...I love who you are. Dont change.

Love,

Jessi
Hey everyone. Im around here alot so if anyone ever needs a chat feel free to PM me or add me on Yahoo, AIM, or MSN. I'll do my best to help. <3

Jessi's Myspace...add me if you want..i have like 3 friends on there. lol

turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:29 pm

Jessi,

You always remind me again and again why I love you so much.

I love the respect that we share for each other.

And thank you for posting and reminding me once again how amazingly lucky I am to have you as a friend. :)

Love, Hannah

Paris In Flames
Veteran

Post by Paris In Flames » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:02 pm

Originally posted by turtbub@Feb 6 2005, 12:16 PM

I knew I would get people who disagreed.

And I respect your right to disagree with me tenfold, Jenna.

And a few days ago I might have softened, bent a little to fit what you were saying.

But not anymore.

Now, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

And make the world a little more interesting.

Hugs and prayers, Hannah

[right][/right]

And our arguing will make this world oh so much more interesting? ::le sigh:: A long time ago, I would have agreed that it would make it more interesting. Now I just pity how this world is killing itself because of it all.

Religion causes conflict, pain, and prejudice.

Cheers,

Jenna

turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:01 pm

Ah Jenna.

How we clash on everything never ceases to amaze me.

Yes, it will make it more interesting.

Not neccesarily GOOD interesting, but interesting nonetheless. :)

And I must say that I love how you casually use French because I <3 the French language.

:) Just a side note.

Hannah

SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:48 pm

Good job hun

Though i disagree w/ your beliefs its good that you stand up for what you believe in...

You knwo the saying: No one will truly love you untill you love yourself...

The way to get friends and people to like you, isn't by softening what you beleive in its to be who you are and proud of who you are

:hug:

~Jeff~

wagon_wheel
Loyal

Post by wagon_wheel » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:52 am

Originally posted by Paris In Flames@Feb 6 2005, 02:02 PM

Religion causes conflict, pain, and prejudice.

Cheers,

Jenna

Religion does not cause conflict, pain or prejudice...the people who are practicing the religion(and decide to use it as an excuse to do mean things) cause those things.

Example-If everyone listened to the rule that your not supposed to judge b/c God is the one who is suppose to judge everyone....then we would not have any of the above problems b/c well..simply no one would judge other people. (This is mainly for Christainty...although other religions probably have this kinda rule.)

O yeah and I don't mean to pick on your Jenna (I know you can handle this and that you'll probably have something intelligent to snap right back at me :D)...but I've read your profile and it could easily cause conflict and pain and your not envolved/believe in religion - "But I'm not one of those butch dyke ones. Thank god. If I ever become one, shoot me, please."
[center] "Hot glassware looks just like cold glassware."

"Love is grand; divorce is a hundred grand."

^~^

=(o.o)=

(")_(")

[/center]

andi
Loyal

Post by andi » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:12 am

why is being gay a sin? i agree with the rest of it...even the sex before marriage thing..even though i've done that...oh well...my sin...but i dont understand the gay thing. whose to say what's right or wrong in the way of love? i'm not gay...but i dont think its anyone's place to tell someone else how to love and put a title of "sin" on it just because they love differently....
"These are the days worth living, these are the years worth giving, these are the moments, these are the times, lets make the most out of our lives"

pynkgodde55
Loyal

Post by pynkgodde55 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:46 am

Hannah,

Congratulations! It is such a grand day when you can finally break through that wall and proclaim your beliefs. Way to go! Never loose site of yourself, you are a beautiful person. Woo-hoo!

I can understand how you would feel that some people on this site would bash you or hate you but I've learned that most who come to this forum will support you. While they may not agree with us they will support you. Even if there are those that bash you and call you "ignorant" or some other names, just know that you are aware of your beliefs and of your heart. I will support you in whatever you do. Hug!

Jen
[center]Image[/center]

[center]Xanga/MySpace[/center][center]Wanna Know More about Jen?[/center]

Paris In Flames
Veteran

Post by Paris In Flames » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:56 pm

Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:49 pm

While I praise you for your boldness and courage in stating your beliefs, I look at the world a bit differently.

To me, God and the Devil are absolutes. They are the black and white. Everything on this plane of existence is just a shade of grey. There are courses of action that are more or less white than another. There are actions that can be constued as correct and incorrect, but as right and wrong or good and bad? There really is no such thing as purely right and purely wrong. Definately, some courses of action are better than the other, and you should strive to do the best you possibly can. But no matter what you will not find a right course of action. For an example: This semester I am taking a break from school. I consider it "right" or what I need to do, what is right for me. But there is still my team back at school that I left high and dry and just ditched 4 weeks out from our conferance meet. That was a shitty thing to do to them. But I needed to do it. For me it was right. For the team it was probably "wrong". I'm doing great here at home, but I still regret that I couldn't make everyone happy. And to me, in a right situation, or a truly good situation (as I believe my taking a semester off from school is), everyone would be happy. And I know for a fact that not everyone was happy about me taking a break.

I hate belittling your beliefs, and I feel like I am a bit in what I'm going to say, but I feel it's worth saying: I once had beliefs very similar to yours. Almost exactly the same. And right around your age too. And now, here I am, 7 years later, having found each and every one of those beliefs challenged and changed. Nothing ever stays the same. My word of warning is that if you put your beliefs too set in stone they are liable to become a major stumbling block. For example: If it wern't for my ironclad belief that homosexuality was wrong I wouldn't have had to endure years of mental torment and anguish and feelings of shame about who I am. Now I have to accept that I'm bisexual and that God still loves me. I simply cannot hold the belief that homosexuality is wrong any more, because it means that for the rest of my life I would feel complete and total shame and disgust at who I am. This is presumptuous, but I KNOW God does not want me to live my life that way. That would totally defy the God I believe in and have been taught about; a God who is a God of love. I cannot accept that a loving God would knowingly, willingly even, create such a wretched and miserable existance. I just can't.

tJ

PS These are examples from my personal experiences. I know that not everyone experiences the same things in life, but for me, this is what I've come to know through my 20 some years on earth.
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.