Pagan!

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

Apathy's Priestess
Loyal

Pagan!

Post by Apathy's Priestess »

Hello! I'm Pagan... It's a bit weird because my father and my brother are Catholic, and my mom is...I'm not too sure. She goes to church on the holidays, but I think that's just to make my dad happy. We don't always get along because of it. I try to point out the similarities and differences everytime it's brought up and it just creates havoc because of it. My father thinks I'm going to rot in hell for all eturnity because he's a bit strict about those types of things. I'm very knowledgable about both religions and I know that my father does somethings that are against Catholicism, which I suppose would make him a hypocrite.

All of that wouldn't bother me if he didn't try to change it. He'll come in my room and distroy my alter, throw away my candles, and put crucifixes in my room. I have to hide my books. Is there anything that I can try to tell him that can get his attention and have a sensible conversation with him? Or is it not my right to say anything to him? :glare: I mean, I completly respect all religions and afflictions and whatnot, just...not my father...
maybe.
turtbub
Veteran

Re: Pagan!

Post by turtbub »

Okay, well, he is your dad. And I must say that I, as a Christian, think your religion is wrong. But I know that's not what you're interested. You're interested in advice.

I would say you sit him down and say, "Dad, you forcing religion down my throat is going to do me no good. I need to explore things and make my own choices. I respect you and your beliefs. Please respect mine."

Good luck dear.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

Romans 5:8 "God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Mother Theresa

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.
Saren
Veteran

Post by Saren »

Well, I'm kind of the same thing. It is suggested many times, because of not being able to convince parents for their strict beliefs in other things (which we should respect, even though some don't respect our's. "Two wrongs don't make a right.") you should not make it so obvious. Alters don't have to be perfect. You shouldn't set them out to make it so obvious. Maybe you should hide your stuff away. You can use simple things for your alter where it's "not as obvious." You can put them in a draw- make room.

Some parents aren't fully accepting. (And this I also have from a book because I can't explain things well) He should listen to what is important to YOU and possibly try and accept it. Tell him a little about it. Give him some information. You can't force anything down his throat, but you can ask him politely to just look into it. It's a spiritual religion. Earth-based. If he can't come to means about it, don't sweat. This is what he was brought to believe. Tell him you respect his and ask if maybe he could TRY with yours. It's not as bad as Hollywood and society bring it out to be. It's completely innocent and we're all about no harm. The Wiccan Rede especially. We go by that, and live strictly by it. It's not fake, and it's stressed in the religion.

Good luck, hun.

-Samantha
<3

My beautiful baby girl

Autumn E. R-K.

Born on: February 26th, 2007

<3

----------------------

"Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love, the clarity of hatred, and the ecstasy of grief."

Apathy's Priestess
Loyal

Post by Apathy's Priestess »

Thank you, both of you. I do hide my stuff (I usually keep my candles in with my shirts), but he goes through EVERYTHING. It just makes me really frustrated. He just doesn't want to listen to the 'daughter', who is a teen and therefore is always wrong. :( It's just really hard sometimes.
maybe.
FiZzBaW
Veteran

Post by FiZzBaW »

Friend,

I thought I would share a thought of mine looking at your situation from a parental point of view.

Parent's love their children dearly and want to impress good morals and values upon their children. They feel that it is their duty to raise their children good and properly in order for their children to prospur. Parent of this age are in a very sticky predicament. There are loads of teens who say that they respect religion and are open minded, but what they are really doing is being ignorant and rebellious.

I am not however saying you are being rebellious, just trying to make a point and show you what your father is likely thinking and suggesting that you take a step back and look at the situation from a third person point of view.

I would take it easy until you are out of your parent's home, techincally you have no rights until you are 18 and support yourself.

-Hope this helps

-Jared
Click to Email Me

AIM: fizzbaw05

Visit our Live Chat or use IRC: irc.helpingteens.org

----

"I helped save Jericho!" Facebook Group

Dark
Loyal

Post by Dark »

Indeed, a large number of parents try to force Christianity on their children, because they want what they believe is best for them. However, being human, they aren't always right. They make mistakes. As this is a situation of morals and preference, there's not too much you can do, except perform rites and rituals elsewhere. Being Pagan, you know the concept of the Threefold...That anything good/bad you do is reflected on your karma three times. Whatever you do, don't get angry and curse him...We wouldn't want to hurt your aura now, would we? :) The best suggestion I can give is, in fact, find somewhere else to practice magick. Do you have any friends that share your belief? Or perhaps could hold onto your icons and ritual possessions? Don't let your parents hold you back, but try not to create conflict either....Best of luck to you. :)
Beautiful:I thought this was helping teens.. not i wanna be a whore, profit my videos?
5a5
Veteran

Post by 5a5 »

i think u have the right to believe in anything u want, u're not hurting anyone so i dont see what ur father's problem is
Now you'll find with everything you lose

Your path clears with everything you choose

Is there someway I can show you

The best is yet to come