Confirmation

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

NeverReallySeen
Veteran

Confirmation

Post by NeverReallySeen » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:31 pm

Ok, I have never posted here, and I kind of feel weird doing it, but I am in 10th grade now, and part of being a sophmore (at my church) is that its time to be confirmed. I'm not even sure what that is. I just know its something like when we make the decision to honestly extend out religion in God. Both of my brothers got confirmed at the right time, but for me, I feel like I'm not ready. I just havent felt God yet. Well, I have once, but not in a long time. I sometimes wonder if there is a God, so I'm not sure if I'm ready to make that big of a commitment. I just need some help on how to decide if I'm ready. I know my parents are going to be furious, but this is about me, and I just need some help here. I dont know what to do. :(
To be nobody but yourself in a world thats doing its best to make you somebody

else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting.

You do anything long enough to escape the habit of living,

Until the escape becomes the habit.

Everything is ok in the end.

If its not, then its not the end.

Kit
Veteran

Re: Confirmation

Post by Kit » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:16 pm

When you're ready do it. Just calmly explain to your parents that you don't think you're ready so you want to wait a while so you don't mess up. You want to make the right descision. :)

Sammi
Email me If you ever need someone to talk to and I'm not online, drop me an E-mail. I'll get it on my phone!

Myspace Want to know more about me? Here's my myspace. You can see pictures of my family, and keep up with my life here.

I LOVE my Son Ethan who is 10 months old and my wonderful husband who is signing up for the Army!

SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:38 pm

yeah, you can decide to get confirmed later on in life...

baptism is your parents decision to extend you to god, while confirmation is your decision to extend yourself to god, so it means you accept him into your soul...

like 90% of my class got confirmed last year (started back in 10th grade, actually got it in 11th)...but there was one female who did drop out becuase she realized that she didn't see god as she was "supposed" to see him....if that makes sence...

but yeah you can always wait to get confirmed

~Jeff~

Loyal

Post by 309756 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:13 am

Waiting to get confirmed is probably the wisest thing to do. I was never baptized as a baby or a young adult... and to this day, I am grateful that I never made the decision, because my beliefs five years ago were totally different from what I believe in now.

turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:02 pm

Nat, I think it's great that you realize you aren't ready for this yet. Doing something because it will make other people happy, that's not a good idea. Religion is something very personal and private, not something to follow certain procedures with and such.

When you're ready, you'll do it. Not before. And that's good. :hug:

Talk to your parents and explain how you're feeling, that you need to do this when YOU are ready, not when they are. I think (hope) they'll understand.

Love you, Hannah
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

Romans 5:8 "God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Mother Theresa

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.

SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:42 pm

Originally posted by pandasandpenguins@Sep 3 2005, 02:13 AM

Waiting to get confirmed is probably the wisest thing to do. I was never baptized as a baby or a young adult... and to this day, I am grateful that I never made the decision, because my beliefs five years ago were totally different from what I believe in now.

[right][/right]

I was baptized and because of that my mom always tells me that god thinks of me as a child becusae i was baptized, though i am not catholic nor wish to be i guess to "him" i am catholic because i was baptized? i dunno, my mom will say or do anything to try to get me to join back on the catholism side

~Jeff~

Toy Soldier
Veteran

Post by Toy Soldier » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:55 am

^^^^From what I heard, I think others will see you as Catholic because you're baptised as a Catholic, but it does'nt mean you're Catholic if you feel deep down that you are'nt.'He' will know that you're not Catholic if you don't believe in that faith...I was never baptised but I believed in G-d and so thought of myself as a Christian despite the fact I was'nt a member of the Church...If you believe in G-d and believe that faith, then surely you don't need to be christianed to be thought of as a 'true Christian'.

Anyways, back to the topic, don't get confirmed until you feel ready. And only you will know when you're ready. Don't be pressurised into doing it. :hug:

~*~Ruth~*~
Ruth I was forgotten, I won't be forgotten, never again... says:

lol, dont think they have tigers on farmsthough :/

Angel Breaks says:

i was thinkin that but fuck it macdonald was progressive he knew tigers were the future

Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:31 pm

Natalie,

I agree with Hannah.

What Christian denomination do you belong to?

Basically, confirmation is confirming your faith. Its a renewal of baptismal vows - only this time, you're the one making the vows (assuming you were baptised as a child).

These links should explain the basics:

http://www.painsley.org.uk/re/signposts ... es/092.htm

http://www.cofe.anglican.org/lifeevents/baptismconfirm/

You should end up doing a short preparation course before confirmation. You might find that strengthens your faith.

Take care,

Lena.
Woman can not live on tea or chocolate alone.... but she can give it a damn good try.

Rose'nShannenRox
Loyal

Post by Rose'nShannenRox » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:33 pm

Originally posted by Lena@Sep 4 2005, 11:31 AM

Natalie,

I agree with Hannah.

What Christian denomination do you belong to?

Basically, confirmation is confirming your faith. Its a renewal of baptismal vows - only this time, you're the one making the vows (assuming you were baptised as a child).

These links should explain the basics:

http://www.painsley.org.uk/re/signposts ... es/092.htm

http://www.cofe.anglican.org/lifeevents/baptismconfirm/

You should end up doing a short preparation course before confirmation. You might find that strengthens your faith.

Take care,

Lena.

[right][/right]

Yeah im pretty sure there is a class, cause in my catholic school we had to take a class for it (even thought i wasnt catholic i had to take it too), but perhaps in order to humer your mom, go to the class and see whats up u know? In the class they make sure like you understand what your confirming and your new respsponisbility as you are now recognized as more of an adult in the church....so just see how it sits with you.

Pray about it. :D Ask God if its what he wants you to do.
Im a part of the fellowship of the unashamed.I have Holy Spirit power. The die has been cast.I have stepped over the line.The decision has been made. Im a disciple of His.I wont look back,let up,slow down,back away,or be still...

My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my Guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought, compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,deluded,or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of the adversary,negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity.

I wont give up,shut up,let up,untill i have stayed up,stored up,prayed up,paid up,preached up for the cause of Christ.I am a disciple of Jesus.I must go till He comes,give till i drop,preach till all know,and work till He stops me; and when He comes for His own,He will have no problem recognizing me-my banner will be clear!

-African pastor in Zimbabwe

!XogFog
Loyal

Post by !XogFog » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:51 pm

Talk about it with people who have experience. Talk to your brothers, ask how they felt when their turns came, if they had any doubts. Talk to your parents. Talk to your priest. Doubts aren't something to be ashamed of or hidden, because then they never get resolved. There's nothing wrong with having questions.
G-d is not a man, that He should be deceitful, nor a son of man that He should change His mind. (Numbers 23:19)

The fear of the L-RD is the beginning of knowledge; foolish ones scorn wisdom and discipline. (Proverbs 1:7)

The beginning of wisdom is to aquire wisdom; from your every acquisition acquire understanding. (Proverbs 4:7)

NeverReallySeen
Veteran

Post by NeverReallySeen » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:22 am

I'm Catholic.

So I took your guys' advice about this. I tryed to talk to my parents about it, but they just were like well you're getting confirmed. This is something I feel like I should make the call on, but if I dont, I know my parents will be furious. I dont want to cause any more tension, but I dont want to be put in the place of faking my faith, when I dont even feel it. I realize that I'm not really ready, and I understand I still have to go to classes and what not, but I'm just not up to the challange yet. I am struggling with SH, and I just dont know if I'm ready for the rejection of not feeling God. Its just so hard to explain. I dont know what to do.

else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting.

flora
Loyal

Post by flora » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:17 am

Don't do it.

I am going through the EXACT same thing with my grandma and my mom's whole family right now.... my mom was raised catholic but somewhere between being a young girl and having me she realized catholicism just wasn't for her-! there were so many things she didn't believe in and such as well as all the Biblical stories. When I turned 18 last year, my grandma IMMEDIATELY got on me about how now i could finally become confirmed!... etc, but I just didn't WANT to.

Hello, the church apparently doesn't like gay people. I am a lesbian. I'm not about to go to classes and become baptised in some religion that doesn't accept people "like me"... like we're freaks or different or whatever. Gay is like being left handed, it's just something you are and I do believe in God but I don't think God hates/loves me any differently than he would a straight 20 year old girl. It should be about who you are inside and how well you treat others, rather than all these rules and stunts the Catholics put on you to feel guilty, unwashed, or sinful. Yeah, we make mistakes. Doesn't mean we're all going to hell, right?

I hope not :)

Anyway, unless you feel ready- say no. It shouldn't be about your parents- this is the relationship between YOU and the church. YOU and God. It's for you!... so do what makes you happy, that is the most important thing of all.

Goodluck,

Jess

turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:09 am

So I took your guys' advice about this. I tryed to talk to my parents about it, but they just were like well you're getting confirmed. This is something I feel like I should make the call on, but if I dont, I know my parents will be furious. I dont want to cause any more tension, but I dont want to be put in the place of faking my faith, when I dont even feel it. I realize that I'm not really ready, and I understand I still have to go to classes and what not, but I'm just not up to the challange yet. I am struggling with SH, and I just dont know if I'm ready for the rejection of not feeling God. Its just so hard to explain. I dont know what to do

Natalie, what do YOU want? Confirmation is a very, very special thing that is supposed to be between you and God. Not you, God, your parents, and your church. Who CARES what they say or how they feel? You don't want to do this if you aren't ready. It's a very personal and private thing.

I guess you just have to decide. What's more important to you? Making your parents happy or making YOURSELF happy?

:hug: Whatever you decide I'll support you. But think carefully and do what's best for YOU. Not anyone else.

<3
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

Romans 5:8 "God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

Doug
Veteran

Post by Doug » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:04 am

Natalie, talk to your priest. Tell him how you feel. Then have him talk to your parents. It will mean more coming from him than it will from you.

I made the mistake during my junior year of going through with confirmation. I convinced myself that I wanted to, but later remembered that I was doing it for my parents. I haven't stepped into a catholic church in over a year now.
"Yeah, I'm a great lesbian. Are you a good lesbian, Doug?" - Jenna

lyn4sho
Loyal

Post by lyn4sho » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:33 pm

Confirmation is a decision you can make only on your choice. In the catholic religion, Confirmation is making the same promise your parents made for you at baptism, saying that u will fully follow your religion and honor God. Its a big decision to make, and you should base it on what your brother did, but what you want to do. We are always told that if we aren't ready, we shouldn't get Confirmed, since we need to fully understand our religion first. I hope I helped, PM me for more if u need to.

Lyn
Hello Adulthood!

The courage to serve them with reliance

Face my mistakes without defiance

Show them I'm worthy

And while I show them

I'll show me

So, let them bring on all their problems

I'll do better than my best

I have confidence they'll put me to the test

But I'll make them see I have confidence in me

-I Have Confidence

Sound of Music

http://fcla16.tripod.com/blogonlife/

NeverReallySeen
Veteran

Post by NeverReallySeen » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:13 pm

thats true with the baptism part. i didnt think of it like that. but u guys have no idea what my parents are like. after todays fight, i dont even think theres a god, and i cant believe i'm saying that. but god wouldnt let this kinda stuff happen. god would help me. he wouldnt just leave me alone on this stuff. i used to have total faith with god, but now he's not even there. i pray all the time, and yet, life is still hell here. not to be selfish, cause i pray for everyone, but i just thought sometime he'd help me just get out of this hell hole. how can i further my religion if i cant even believe in god?

SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:46 pm

see some would see this as a "i don't believe in god" sauga, but others would see this perhaps as an expierance where god is letting them control their life and make flaws and think for themselves...

but see if the latter one is true, then it basically says that we make our own dicisions and we control our own destiny, but some don't say that but they say the other way but they say it this way...

i dunno, its all confusing...haha

~Jeff~

turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:26 pm

Natalie, sometimes God puts us through trials to test us and to show us a lesson. I know it's SO hard to see it while going through it, but it IS true. He's not gone. He's not.

Just keep believing and praying. You'll pull through this.

:hug:

Loyal

Post by 309756 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:43 pm

Honestly, some days, I just leave God for later.

To be honest, there's a lot of uncertainty on the topic. So, I would just wait. Maybe you'll end up a theological hippie like me.

turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:13 pm

but i just thought sometime he'd help me just get out of this hell hole. how can i further my religion if i cant even believe in god?

I didn't see this before, just noticed it. But Natalie he WILL help you. Sometimes, like I said, God uses trials to show us something about ourselves, make us stronger, or help us to build a better relationship with him. Or to learn something about ourselves.

Try thinking of it that way. :hug: