"new" And "old" Testaments

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

!XogFog
Loyal

Re: "new" And "old" Testaments

Post by !XogFog »

Oh, and _ofunsoundmind? Feel free to chip in again with your answers. I'm still curious.
G-d is not a man, that He should be deceitful, nor a son of man that He should change His mind. (Numbers 23:19)

The fear of the L-RD is the beginning of knowledge; foolish ones scorn wisdom and discipline. (Proverbs 1:7)

The beginning of wisdom is to aquire wisdom; from your every acquisition acquire understanding. (Proverbs 4:7)

Britt
Veteran

Post by Britt »

heh...this is a very interesting topic...I love when I randomly stop in to HT and read what is happening in here....to put in a little input...

I believe in practicing the commands in the old and new testament. But I do not practice every command in the old testament because with the new covenant with Jesus Christ came laws that over-rode some of the laws in the old testament. For instance...eating pork and other "unclean" animals from the old testament....it was a sin...but it isn't a sin with the new covenant...not that I eat pork or any other meat...I am a veg...but then there are other things in the old testament that stuck in the new testament. Like homosexuality being a sin. It is the same now as it was back then. Only small things changed from the Old to the New Testament. And the reason we don't sacrifice animals anymore is because that was a form of worship that was eliminated with the new covenant and now we worship in other ways.

I am sorry if I ran my ideas together and confused some!

But really..I believe the Old Testament applies today just as much as the New Testament!

Loyal

Post by 309756 »

I find it highly amusing that evangelical christians condemn gays and lesbians using the book of Leviticus, but then they go out and eat their massive pork ribs and drive their polluting vehicles and adhere to none of the commandments about leaving the gleaned grains for the poor.

Either be consistent, or admit that you're inconsistent. If both testaments are the word of God, where does Jesus ever say... "Oh, by the way, those rules that were supposed to go on forever, they don't apply anymore."
A! Elbereth
Needs Another Hobby

Post by A! Elbereth »

Originally posted by !XogFog+Sep 15 2005, 09:48 PM--
[/right]

[/b]

Those are actually traditions of the Jews, not a commandment that applies to all of mankind. It is directed to Isrealites and isn't meant to be read as if God is speaking to us. That is part of the story of Moses and his people.

[right][/right]

[/b][/quote]

For someone who professes to take every word of both testaments literally, I'm shocked to hear you say that. Isn't the literal interpretation of "observe this" or "don't eat that" that it's a commandment?

And so even if they aren't commands to everyone, just to the Israelites, i.e. the Jews (which is actually what I feel, and what the text says), why should Jews today still be observing these things? It does say "in all your generations, forever."

[right][/right]

[/b][/quote]

Well I don't believe I ever said I took the Bible only literally, so don't be too surprised.

And it's beyond me what Jews do, so I can't answer that. Ask them.

I think... that I may take a break from this thread/forum, perhaps a permanent one. This could go on forever, and it is pretty much pointless... so... good luck! :P
Your soul.

Your body.

Your mind.

Keep it Purified.

But give me love over, love over, love over this... ~Coldplay

Dr. Wilson:
I forgot I needed a reason to give a crap.

Dr. House: You're actually giving two craps.

Dr. Wilson: The metric system always confused me.
!XogFog
Loyal

Post by !XogFog »

Originally posted by A! Elbereth+Sep 16 2005, 08:44 AM--
[/right]

[/b]

Those are actually traditions of the Jews, not a commandment that applies to all of mankind. It is directed to Isrealites and isn't meant to be read as if God is speaking to us. That is part of the story of Moses and his people.

[right][/right]

[/b][/quote]

For someone who professes to take every word of both testaments literally, I'm shocked to hear you say that. Isn't the literal interpretation of "observe this" or "don't eat that" that it's a commandment?

And so even if they aren't commands to everyone, just to the Israelites, i.e. the Jews (which is actually what I feel, and what the text says), why should Jews today still be observing these things? It does say "in all your generations, forever."

[right][/right]

[/b][/quote]

Well I don't believe I ever said I took the Bible only literally, so don't be too surprised.

And it's beyond me what Jews do, so I can't answer that. Ask them.

I think... that I may take a break from this thread/forum, perhaps a permanent one. This could go on forever, and it is pretty much pointless... so... good luck! :P

[right][/right]

[/b][/quote]

You're right, I misunderstood one of your previous statements. You never did say that.

As for Jews, I brought them up because of this: Christianity's stance isn't that gentiles should do one thing and Jews should keep observing the commandments. Christianity says that everyone, Jews included, don't need to follow the commandments (except for whatever ones Paul or Peter or whoever thought were important). Shouldn't these commandments given to the Israelites to be followed "in all your generations, forever" still be kept by Jews, according to Christianity? That's what I was trying to say.

Anyone else care to try to answer this question? Or will I be frusterated yet again by my attempts to reach an understanding of the logic behind Christian belief? Maybe there isn't any?
G-d is not a man, that He should be deceitful, nor a son of man that He should change His mind. (Numbers 23:19)

The fear of the L-RD is the beginning of knowledge; foolish ones scorn wisdom and discipline. (Proverbs 1:7)

The beginning of wisdom is to aquire wisdom; from your every acquisition acquire understanding. (Proverbs 4:7)

A! Elbereth
Needs Another Hobby

Post by A! Elbereth »

Agh, well I can't help but say that christianity isn't meant to correspond with earthly logic. Sometimes things can't be proven.
Your soul.

Your body.

Your mind.

Keep it Purified.

But give me love over, love over, love over this... ~Coldplay

Dr. Wilson:
I forgot I needed a reason to give a crap.

Dr. House: You're actually giving two craps.

Dr. Wilson: The metric system always confused me.
Loyal

Post by 309756 »

And that is the heart of religion. The transcendent and the mysterious. Thanks for answering all the questions.
!XogFog
Loyal

Post by !XogFog »

Originally posted by pandasandpenguins@Sep 16 2005, 09:26 PM

And that is the heart of religion. The transcendent and the mysterious. Thanks for answering all the questions.

[right][/right]

I would disagree. Certainly there are things in religion to be taken on faith alone, but religion was also made for man, and so must be, at least in some ways, comprehensible and logical to man.

But yes, thank you A! Elbereth, for all your time and patience. I still welcome repsonses from others too.

Loyal

Post by 309756 »

Perhaps I should have said Pentecostal Christianity. My religion is based on reason as well.