Is It A Sin?

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

Lisa
Loyal

Is It A Sin?

Post by Lisa » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:42 pm

Being gay doesn't make you any more or less of a person, it's who you are and you can't help loving whom you love. -Jess

Life

Loyal

Re: Is It A Sin?

Post by 309756 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:44 pm

The United Church of Christ and the Ameican Unitarian Conference are two Christian organizations that support the rights of gay people.

Take this argument back to your friend:

During the formative years of the Bible's existence, a trendy movement within Hellenized (Greek/Latin) culture was to be bisexual. Alexander the Great, for example, had a male confidant in addition to his wife. Young boys were valued for their tiny genitalia and their slim forms (pedophilia). To Paul, THIS behavior was considered unnatural, and thus he wrote about it in Romans 1. That's the verse used to justify Christianity's exclusion of homosexuality.

But ask this question: If you disregard cultural standards set by the prophets, and go straight to Jesus, who do you think he would love today? The self-righteous, sanctimonious preaching type, or the modest gay person who knows who he or she is, and is devoted to being a spiritual being and a follower of Jesus?

Hope all goes well,

-penguins

Lisa
Loyal

Post by Lisa » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:05 am

Cool thanks Penguin i will try that today!! Before i went to bed last night i was like God can i be gay and still go to heaven and so when i went to sleep i had this dream i was in my class and my frist girl crush ever was there and was like holding my hand and other things (sorry hun I LOVE YOU 'THE SAME'!!!) but yeah it could be just one of my weird dreams what do you think?
Being gay doesn't make you any more or less of a person, it's who you are and you can't help loving whom you love. -Jess

Life

Lisa
Loyal

Post by Lisa » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:30 pm

I printed off what you said and asked her and she was like no no no the bible says NO it is a sin! Then she went to Mr. Boris who earlier that day had said I rather be arrested for protesting against homosexuality than for not showing you this video *long story* but anyway he was like yes it's a sin even if your a Christian. I think I lost but i will not give up!!!!

Life

FranklinF
Veteran

Post by FranklinF » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:10 am

No man can condem any man, that is up to God to decide and it does say somewhere in the bible about giving into sins of the flesh or something, I have never found the exact verse every one talks about, and even then it is mostly interperatation, and in the bible it says to love thy neighbor so i think that above anything should be held above any interparatation... you catch my drift?-MARY
[center]Every once in a while, you stop in moments.

The ones that are life changing.

They edit your thinking.

They make your heart grow.

[/center]

!XogFog
Loyal

Post by !XogFog » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:34 am

G-d is not a man, that He should be deceitful, nor a son of man that He should change His mind. (Numbers 23:19)

The fear of the L-RD is the beginning of knowledge; foolish ones scorn wisdom and discipline. (Proverbs 1:7)

The beginning of wisdom is to aquire wisdom; from your every acquisition acquire understanding. (Proverbs 4:7)

Lisa
Loyal

Post by Lisa » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:51 pm

Originally posted by !XogFog+Sep 30 2005, 10:34 AM--
[/right]

[/b]

We are supposed to love our neighbors as ourselves, but that doesn't mean we don't know which actions are sins and which aren't. Just because I'm supposed to love you doesn't mean I can't know that stealing is wrong.

So yes, homosexual sex is a sin. Being homosexual is not a sin, but acting on it is.

[right][/right]

[/b][/quote]

Ok so you think it is a sin but what if your a Christian and you pray, read your bible and go to church and your gay would you go to heaven or hell??

Life

!XogFog
Loyal

Post by !XogFog » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:39 pm

Originally posted by Lisa+Sep 30 2005, 12:51 PM--
[/right]

[/b]

We are supposed to love our neighbors as ourselves, but that doesn't mean we don't know which actions are sins and which aren't. Just because I'm supposed to love you doesn't mean I can't know that stealing is wrong.

So yes, homosexual sex is a sin. Being homosexual is not a sin, but acting on it is.

[right][/right]

[/b][/quote]

Ok so you think it is a sin but what if your a Christian and you pray, read your bible and go to church and your gay would you go to heaven or hell??

[right][/right]

[/b][/quote]

By "your gay" you mean that you engage in homosexual sex, correct? Because we've established that just being attracted to members of the same sex isn't a sin.

I don't really know much about Christian beliefs on that. Maybe someone else can answer.
G-d is not a man, that He should be deceitful, nor a son of man that He should change His mind. (Numbers 23:19)

The fear of the L-RD is the beginning of knowledge; foolish ones scorn wisdom and discipline. (Proverbs 1:7)

The beginning of wisdom is to aquire wisdom; from your every acquisition acquire understanding. (Proverbs 4:7)

5a5
Veteran

Post by 5a5 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:17 pm

u are the way u are, if there is a god and he is the way people describe him all loving and good then he'll accept u any way u are , no matter what, im not much into religion but the way i see it it's worse sin for ur friend or whatever to judge ur cousin than for u to live ur life the way u want, love is love in a world like ours any kind of love is a miracle, it's a wonder people can still love at all
Now you'll find with everything you lose

Your path clears with everything you choose

Is there someway I can show you

The best is yet to come

A! Elbereth
Needs Another Hobby

Post by A! Elbereth » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:11 pm

Be an individual and form your own opinion about this issue. Read the Bible and see what it means to you.
Your soul.

Your body.

Your mind.

Keep it Purified.

But give me love over, love over, love over this... ~Coldplay

Dr. Wilson:
I forgot I needed a reason to give a crap.

Dr. House: You're actually giving two craps.

Dr. Wilson: The metric system always confused me.

Lisa
Loyal

Post by Lisa » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:07 pm

But the bible is so covered up now a days it sucks!!! I don't know what to think about it anymore

Life

A! Elbereth
Needs Another Hobby

Post by A! Elbereth » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:10 pm

What do you mean by 'covered up'?

Answer me this: Do you believe in God? Jesus? The Bible?
Your soul.

Your body.

Your mind.

Keep it Purified.

Dr. Wilson:

Lisa
Loyal

Post by Lisa » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:45 pm

like so many people have put what they think into it that the bible has become so much less that what it was 1,000 years ago and yes i do to all of them.

Life

Loyal

Post by 309756 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:50 am

Right.

Sometimes, people will USE parts of the Bible, I guess, to purport their own social agenda. Is it right?

For example:

Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

Taken from Romans 1.

'Every animal that has a split hoof not completely divided or that does not chew the cud is unclean for you; whoever touches the carcass of any of them will be unclean. 27 Of all the animals that walk on all fours, those that walk on their paws are unclean for you; whoever touches their carcasses will be unclean till evening. 28 Anyone who picks up their carcasses must wash his clothes, and he will be unclean till evening. They are unclean for you.

Taken from Leviticus 11.

It just goes to show that cultural standards sometimes come into play.

!XogFog
Loyal

Post by !XogFog » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:35 am

Originally posted by pandasandpenguins@Oct 1 2005, 11:50 PM

Right.

Sometimes, people will USE parts of the Bible, I guess, to purport their own social agenda. Is it right?

For example:

Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

Taken from Romans 1.

'Every animal that has a split hoof not completely divided or that does not chew the cud is unclean for you; whoever touches the carcass of any of them will be unclean. 27 Of all the animals that walk on all fours, those that walk on their paws are unclean for you; whoever touches their carcasses will be unclean till evening. 28 Anyone who picks up their carcasses must wash his clothes, and he will be unclean till evening. They are unclean for you.

Taken from Leviticus 11.

It just goes to show that cultural standards sometimes come into play.

[right][/right]

I'm sorry, but I don't think I'm seeing your argument.

A! Elbereth
Needs Another Hobby

Post by A! Elbereth » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:20 pm

Yes, I'm actually not seeing it either. Those versus in no way support the argument that the Bible's words mean something different than it did when it was written.
Your soul.

Your body.

Your mind.

Keep it Purified.

Dr. Wilson:

Loyal

Post by 309756 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:18 pm

The point I was trying to make is that in both instances, the bible verses support a CULTURAL rather than a DIVINE conclusion. So, if Christians can discount the verses of the Old Testament as "cultural precedents" of the ancient Hebrews, then the verses in Romans count as a cultural reminder of Roman and Greek society.

Again, reference to the pedophilia at the beginning of the thread.