Absolutely Disgusted With This Church

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

Fishhead
Needs Another Hobby

Re: Absolutely Disgusted With This Church

Post by Fishhead »

I never said it made me question any faiths. I'm an athiest. No question about that, it was just disgusting to go there. It made me angry that my younger siblings were being subjected to that belief because I think they should be able to make their decisions about religion open-mindedly, not with some biased asshole jumping down their throats about everyone else.
Blue
Hooked On HelpingTeens

Post by Blue »

i completely understand that, i'm not justifying what he was doing was right, what i am say though is people like that should be ignored rather than be placed under our light judgement. The topic creator has allowed this person to influence his outlook on other churches and makes him question other faiths. If someone were to believe that all blacks are evil should we give them any attention? Negative or positive. Certainly I don't agree with the man, but what he believes is what he believes. The world comes with bad people and good people, you can't just silence one out and allow the others to speak.

[/b]
You suggest that people like him should be ignored. Impossible. He was preaching to a church full of people. He wasn't stating his opinion privately to a group of his friends - he was abusing his authority.

I think that, along with the good and bad, the world comes with horrendously ignorant people. When these people manage to climb up to a position of authority, run their mouth off & CORRUPT young minds:
It made me angry that my younger siblings were being subjected to that belief [/b]

- a line is being crossed. This isn't about free speech or a 'right to believe what you like' any more. It's about brainwashing and passing ignorance down from generation to generation.

Being stupid and religious seems to be the most dangerous fucking combination you can find in a person :rolleyes:
sinical_sycology
Loyal

Post by sinical_sycology »

first of all i didn't say it made you question YOUR faith I said other faiths, mainly regarding the church you were attending. Need I prove that? this is what you posted "Do most churches bash other religions like that? I realize that they think they're right..but still. I felt a pastor of a church should be talking about HIS religion, not bashing others, am I wrong to believe this? I was shocked that he'd speak so awfully about another religion". Certainly one man made you think "do other churches do this?". No you're not wrong to believe that he should be speaking about his religion and not bashing others. Apparently though according to everyone in this room he is wrong for believing in his evil ways and spreading his beliefs. Then the argument is that he isn't practicing the right of freedom of speech or religion and that he's preaching hatred to younger kids. Wow aren't we a naive group. The bible says non-believers will not be allowed to enter god's paradise. But that is irrelevant, what is relevant is this, why should the politically correct be allowed to preach good to youngsters yet the evil should not be allowed to do the same albeit their version of good. Whatever happened to equal rights, I don't remember the constitution excluding bad people. Now if this man was using his position to say hinder other people's advancements or oppurtunities then yes i'd be against it, but he's just preaching his side of the story. People speak of equal rights and bla bla blah, equal rights goes for everybody, even murderers get a fair trial it's part of their rights. Is the system fucked up? yes it is but don't preach that equal rights bullshit if you're not willing to let the other side talk, whether their opinions conflict with yours or agree with it. Would I be wrong if I got on a microphone and yelled out "I believe in World Peace and that no man shall wage war on another". No that wouldn't be wrong, but If I got up and said "All Blacks Are Evil", then yes I would be wrong. All i'm saying is that our beliefs are hypocritical but it's to be expected, I've given up on this world and it's people. We're all on a bus to hell and the devil has stamped our one-way tickets.
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?" - Jesus Of Nazareth -

"An educated fool is more foolish than an ignorant one." - Moliere -

"There are well-dressed foolish ideas, just as there are well-dressed fools." - Nicolas Chamfort -

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain -

"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes." - Oscar Wilde -

REVOLUTIONARY - An oppressed person waiting for the opportunity to become an oppressor - Cynics Dictionary -
Blue
Hooked On HelpingTeens

Post by Blue »

don't preach that equal rights bullshit if you're not willing to let the other side talk[/b]
.. and where, exactly, did I "preach that equal rights bullshit"?

You believe in freedom of speech and equality. I admire that. But it's idealistic and dangerous. Personally I don't think that people so obviously ignorant as that man should have a right to 'educate' children on the ways of the world. It's ecouraging them to be close minded and JUST LIKE HIM. Do you not think that that counts as 'hindering their advancement'? Or is a world full of people ripping into each others faiths what you consider advancement?
sinical_sycology
Loyal

first off i'd like to apologize about the equal righs bullshit, I didn't necessarily target you, alot of people do that. Also I failed to make myself clear by what I consider hindering the advancement of others. By that I mean if you don't promote somebody to a higher position because they're black or they're chinese or whatever it is. Now teaching them to be close-minded is purely a moral issue. And really to tell you the truth I'm playind devil's advocate here. What that man is doing is wrong yes because one of those kids in that room could end very well telling me i'm going to hell because I'm buddhist. And to tell you the truth it's not really fun when you're told your religion is wrong. But perhaps my reasons for posting here were wrong, but I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of the "good guys" versus the "bad guys". This situation is one of the very reasons why I'm against youth church groups. You don't know who the preacher is and you don't know what he's preaching. Religion should be taught at home where the parents have control over what their children hear and learn. Then if the child decides that hey maybe I want to be a christian or catholic then he/she will be able to make that decision to go to church. I don't want anybody breeding a close-minded ignorant youth of the future. Hell we're already stupid and ignorant in our own ways, it doesn't need to get worse. Aside from all that I like this argument, it makes me think a little and it's fun! Please continue!
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?" - Jesus Of Nazareth -

"There are well-dressed foolish ideas, just as there are well-dressed fools." - Nicolas Chamfort -

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain -

REVOLUTIONARY - An oppressed person waiting for the opportunity to become an oppressor - Cynics Dictionary -
Fishhead
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Fishhead »

Okay I didn't bash him for believeing that everything else was wrong. That's fine, but he shouldn't brainwash everyone else. Young children are more susceptible (sp) to brainwashing because they're young, it's bullshit. I don't want my sisters being subjected to that. I also never said the other side wasn't allowed to talk. He can believe whatever he wants to believe but that doesn't give him the right to brainwash everyone else. There's a line, he crossed it. I don't preach at people about atheism all the time, he shouldn't diss other religions like that when he's supposed to be discussing his own religion.
sinical_sycology
Loyal

"This situation is one of the very reasons why I'm against youth church groups. You don't know who the preacher is and you don't know what he's preaching. Religion should be taught at home where the parents have control over what their children hear and learn."

First off as I said I don't really support church youth groups because you don't know what your kids are being taught. Second, if you're really worried about your siblings then perhaps you can take matters into your own hands and teach them right from wrong. I have a nephew and I have a niece and their mother wasn't really there for them alot but me and my mother were. So I told him right from wrong, now of course he's young he's going to do some stupid things but I've done my part in telling him whats right and what's wrong. Now from this discussion you probably already got a negative impression of me and that I myself can't differentiate the difference between right and wrong. But in all honestly I didn't tell them things so they'd a clone of me. But as I said if you really care about your siblings then you would sit them down yourself and tell them right from wrong explain to them that not every religion besides christianity or whatever respective church you attended isn't evil, that if you really cared about their upbringing you wouldn't be afraid about what some other dude told them because you know you'll teach them to be open-minded. But perhaps I'm wrong perhaps things don't always work out that way, perhaps we don't always have the time to teach our brothers and sisters because we're busy work and school and boyfriends and girlfriends and going out and friends and you just don't really have space for your brothers and sisters. I didn't say YOU bashed him I'm not saying anyone is bashing him, I'm just saying if we're going to talk equal rights and freedom then that should apply to EVERYONE, yes even that fucking bigot that was preaching the wrong thing

Blue
Hooked On HelpingTeens

Post by Blue »

I understand the 'good guys vs bad guys' hypocrisy. Equal rights should be renamed to "You have rights as long as you're on the right side".

However, in light of this debate, I don't even believe in that concept any more. I don't believe that the young, scarily impressionable minds of children should be sacrificed for the sake of giving the idea of "Equal Rights" genuine credibility. Fuck equal rights, save the children.

(and btw, sinical_sycology - you wanna paragraph your shit next time? :wink: I don't mean to take a dig at you, I'm genuinely interested in what you have to say. It would just go a little easier on my eyes if you used paragraphs)
sinical_sycology
Loyal

haha sorry I'll take that into consideration next time. Anyways haha see now I really have no argument against that, as a matter of fact I agree with that, children have sponge-like brains it absorbs everything.

Now in regards to that shouldn't society put a little bit more restriction on what these kids are learning? Perhaps religion can come in say at the age of 9-10 8 at the earliest. So in short I got nothing to say against your "Fuck Equal Rights. Save the children" lol that was all ya needed to say to shut me up really. Oh well it was fun discussing this situation and all hope to do this again some time in the future

Blue
Hooked On HelpingTeens

Post by Blue »

Yeah, *handshake*, it was good.

:wink: Till we meet again, fella.
munchkinprince
Loyal

Post by munchkinprince »

I haven't heard anything against the religions totally different from my church(es), but more against ideologically different sects of christianity. For example, I have been taught that Mormonism is and so are Jehovah's Witnesses. This is not said from prejudices of the pastor, but because of ideologies(God literally had sex with Marie, for example) that my follower of Christ of Nazareth beliefs don't look kindly on.