couple questions about the bible

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

Ingenuity
Loyal

couple questions about the bible

Post by Ingenuity »

The other day I was reading the old testament with some of my friends. A lot of what we read was about reasons to stone people to death. Now, most of the reasons for doing so are not considered wrong anymore. So my question is, how did religious people decide which parts of the bible were "important" and that they should follow.

Nowdays, we think of murder being a terrible thing, while premarital sex is widely excepted. Yet the bible condems both. How did people decide that one was worse than the other, because I feel like the idea of somthing being wrong is just a persons mindset.

and why is murder different than stoning somone to death?

and my friend told me that the bible says that god put plants on the earth as food, and animals on the earth for people to protect (sugesting that the bible says you should be a vegetarian) Is that true?
Save The Cows!
munchkinprince
Loyal

Re: couple questions about the bible

Post by munchkinprince »

My guess is the whole, "whatever, so i just had sex before marriage... It's not like I killed someone..." mentality took over.

Murder is done by a person. Stoning was deemed official by G-d and the pharisees/whatever the government was at the time. It's the equivalent of asking why it's wrong to kill a person now but why is the death sentence ok?

"protect" is debatable. Animals had been sacrificed since Leviticus, so it's not like we should keep them from all harm. While in Leviticus, somewhere around the 18th chapter is some comment about meat and dairy never being eaten together. If that command existed, I bet meat was able to be eaten, but only certain types(meat deemed clean)Also, Jesus told parables involving meat-eating, such as the prodigal son. When the wayward son came home, the father told his servant to slaughter the best lamb/cow/whatever for a feast.

Judaism falls on the Torah-Christianity's ancient laws- and Christians rely on the New Covenant, the promise of Heaven through the redemption of Christ. Technically, Christians are in the right to further their connection with G-d, but sometimes, we get nit-picky. We create sects devoted to alienating homosexuals or bombing abortion clinics because those ideas don't fall within the Christian ideal. All a true Christian needs is a connection with G-d through Jesus, and the hope of sharing this good news instead of stamping out anything that doesn't fit.

Sorry I just started rambling, but the point is that the Jesus thing is all a Christian really needs. Through worship, one gets closer to G-d and is following all he needs to. Following laws may get you closer(depends on the person), but not usually.
Jesus loves you! Even if I think you suck!

Have a great day and a fantastic tomorrow!

:lol: :woot:

I know a kid named Sora who defeated the darkness in humanity's hearts and he's a teenager. You're an adult; what have you done with your life?
Ingenuity
Loyal

Post by Ingenuity »

thanks. I really like to hear religious opinions. (not accompanied by the phrase "you'll burn in hell")
Save The Cows!
munchkinprince
Loyal

Post by munchkinprince »

Haha, being a christian guy who likes guys tends to eliminate that aspect of my potentially southern version of Christianity
Jesus loves you! Even if I think you suck!

Have a great day and a fantastic tomorrow!

:lol: :woot:

I know a kid named Sora who defeated the darkness in humanity's hearts and he's a teenager. You're an adult; what have you done with your life?