Arrogance - An all too common character trait among many Atheists AND Christians

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

CanadaCraig
Veteran

Arrogance - An all too common character trait among many Atheists AND Christians

Post by CanadaCraig » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:02 am

Hi Everyone!! Image

I hope you're having a great day!!

ARROGANCE

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

"an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions"

Cambridge Online Dictionary

"unpleasantly proud and behaving as if you are more important than, or know more than, other people"

Are you arrogant?

One of the most common character traits among Atheists and Christians [And everyone else - for that matter] is arrogance. No matter how strongly you might believe that you are RIGHT - when it comes to whether or not there is a God and/or how the earth [And all of us] came to be [And so on] YOU are STILL just making assumptions based on your limited ability to make sense of the world around you. And keep in mind - I'm saying this about EVERYONE - INCLUDING myself. This is why is it so important to preface any thought you share with someone regarding something you believe to be true by saying things like, "In my opinion" - and - "It seems to me" - and - "As far as I am concerned" - etc. It is blatant arrogance to make sweeping, matter-of-fact statements regarding anything that no one [And I mean 'NO ONE'] can prove or disprove. Sadly - many people go beyond just being arrogant and become abusive. Not only do they let it be known that they share a different point of view than you do - but they also let it be known that they think you are STUPID for not thinking like them. And that - in my opinion - is unacceptable. It's often frustrating - I know - when someone counters your opinion with something completely contrary. But that's life. People are going to disagree with you and when they do TRY to consider it an opportunity for YOU to fine tune [So to speak] your own character. How do you respond to someone who disagrees with you? Do you call them names or put them down or do you respond to THEM as you would like them to respond to you? In other words - do you treat others as you would like them to treat you?! It's important to keep in mind that your opinions - your thoughts and your feelings - and what you believe to be the truth - is not bolstered OR diminished in any way by whether or not someone agrees with you. So try not to take different points of view so personally. And always be respectful of other people. It takes no courage whatsoever to befriend someone who thinks like you do. But it sure takes a LOT of courage to be thoughtful, considerate, respectful and kind to those whom you disagree with. But that - I believe - is exactly what we need to do.

GREAT BIG HUG

Craig!! :)
"It takes FAR MORE COURAGE to be KIND than it does to be CRUEL!!"

Be sure to LIKE my Love The Bully Facebook Page!

Please visit 'Cambilar'! It's where you'll find my eBooks!

I am a 54 year old guy from Canada!! :)

Kit
Veteran

Re: Arrogance - An all too common character trait among many Atheists AND Christians

Post by Kit » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:56 pm

I agree and have, unfortunatly, done this many times without meaning to - recently, I must add, to someone on here. It's hard to do, but we can all conqure it. We just have to take the time to read, reread, and reread again to make sure it comes out better(even saying it). think before we act! lol.
Email me If you ever need someone to talk to and I'm not online, drop me an E-mail. I'll get it on my phone!

Myspace Want to know more about me? Here's my myspace. You can see pictures of my family, and keep up with my life here.

I LOVE my Son Ethan who is 10 months old and my wonderful husband who is signing up for the Army!