Pledge of Alliegiance

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

CausticTears
Veteran

Pledge of Alliegiance

Post by CausticTears »

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

That is what our pledge of America reads today. Originally, though, it was written as: "I Pledge Allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all." (1892) with slight revisions in 1923).

In 1954, the word "under God" was added. Why, though?

In 1953, the Roman Catholic's men's group, the Knights of Columbus mounted a campaign to add the words "under God" to the Pledge. The nation was suffering through the height of the cold war, and the McCarthy communist witch hunt. Partly in reaction to these factors, a reported 15 resolutions were initiated in Congress to change the pledge. They got nowhere until Rev. George Docherty (1911 - 2008) preached a sermon that was attended by President Eisenhower and the national press corps on 1954-FEB-7. His sermon said in part:

[INDENT]"Apart from the mention of the phrase 'the United States of America,' it could be the pledge of any republic. In fact, I could hear little Muscovites repeat a similar pledge to their hammer-and-sickle flag in Moscow."[/INDENT] After the service, President Eisenhower said that he agreed with the sermon. In the following weeks, the news spread, and public opinion grew. Three days later, Senator Homer Ferguson, (R-MI), sponsored a bill to add God to the Pledge. It was approved as a joint resolution 1954-JUN-8. It was signed into law on Flag Day, JUN-14. President Eisenhower said at the time:

[INDENT]"From this day forward, the millions of our schoolchildren will daily proclaim in every city and town, every village and rural schoolhouse, the dedication of our nation and our people to the Almighty." 4 [/INDENT] With the addition of "under God" to the Pledge, it became both "a patriotic oath and a public prayer...Bellamy's granddaughter said he also would have resented this second change." 3

The change was partly motivated by a desire to differentiate between communism, which promotes Atheism, and Western capitalistic democracies, which were at least nominally Christian.
Source

That was then, this is now. What do you think? Do you think the pledge should be altered NOW? Or just leave the past as the past and leave the pledge alone?
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

-Leo Buscaglia

[HT Chat Room ][ HT Articles ]

Get your badges
four
Veteran

Re: Pledge of Alliegiance

Post by four »

I do not think we should have this form of indoctrination for our children to be forced to listen to. I consider myself a patriot, but I think people constantly forget the difference between patriotism and nationalism.
NAAM
sinical_sycology
Loyal

Post by sinical_sycology »

I really don't mind the words being there in the first place, while I agree with it being removed I also find no problem if it stays. My bigger question is....do kids still do the pledge of allegiance in school nowadays?
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?" - Jesus Of Nazareth -

"An educated fool is more foolish than an ignorant one." - Moliere -

"There are well-dressed foolish ideas, just as there are well-dressed fools." - Nicolas Chamfort -

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain -

"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes." - Oscar Wilde -

REVOLUTIONARY - An oppressed person waiting for the opportunity to become an oppressor - Cynics Dictionary -
Eoin_The_Irish_Khajiit
Hooked On HelpingTeens

Post by Eoin_The_Irish_Khajiit »

I'm not a christian. I do not mind the words. Besides, all religions have a God, It isn't saying under Jesus the one and only god, or Under Allah the prophet of islam or anything. I'll focus my attention on problems that matter.
emilikee123
Loyal

Post by emilikee123 »

I think it is because we allow all religions in the United States and dont all religions have some kind of god? Maybe Under God means something more, like, We dont care what race or religion you are, we are all treated equally. IDK
WammyChick
Dedicated

Post by WammyChick »

I really don't mind. I believe in God, but I also hate the fact that political groups use this one line to support their own hypocritical bullcrap. They act as if that line was ALWAYS there, but it wasn't. Just like they act as if foreigners are going to swoop in and PERSONALLY steal THEIR jobs, or as if gays do.... Really anything destructive at all.

Sorry for the rant, but I think certain people should go and do a little more research before they go off spouting nonsense.
What if everyone around decided to go skipping all across the town?

And what if they collided in the city streets

Held hands together and all looked up into the sky now?

PON PON Let it out, come on let the crazy show!

Because if you don't, life would be so dull you know?

<3PON PON PON <3