Spiritual And Gay?

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

fuzzysnowflake
Loyal

Spiritual And Gay?

Post by fuzzysnowflake »

I was sitting here and I don't know why but do you think that you can be spiritual and gay? Or do they oppose each other?
"There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits on the human capacity for intelligence, imagination and wonder." Ronald Reagan
A! Elbereth
Needs Another Hobby

Re: Spiritual And Gay?

Post by A! Elbereth »

Originally posted by fuzzysnowflake@Sep 26 2005, 06:08 PM

Or do they oppose each other?

[right][/right]

Yeah, kind of. But does that matter enough to stop people from being both? Apparently not... so, that leaves us with trust your own judgement.
Your soul.

Your body.

Your mind.

Keep it Purified.

But give me love over, love over, love over this... ~Coldplay

Dr. Wilson:
I forgot I needed a reason to give a crap.

Dr. House: You're actually giving two craps.

Dr. Wilson: The metric system always confused me.
Trapped
Veteran

Post by Trapped »

Personally, I believe that's possible...

b/c (just my opinion) I think homosexuality is totally a choice...

tho, I'm not anything against it. I think it's wonderful to be able to decide what you wanna do and do it.

I'm not so "religious" either...but I'm not quite agnostic - I'm just in between. pure in between...b/c with religion there are soo many choices...And anyone who doesn't believe that any person can believe whatever they want is not being just...I dunno, I just understand (<<) that.
It's the little things that make a big difference.

In case you hadn't noticed...4-letter words:

love - hate - true - life

"And there are voices

That want to be heard

So much to mention

But you can't find the words"

--Listen to Your Heart, DHT

I can't erase myself, but I can try to move on.
Paris In Flames
Veteran

Post by Paris In Flames »

Absolutely. I know many gay people who are very religious and spiritual. They just think that god forgives everybody for their sins.

However, I am an atheist and gay. If I were straight, I'd still be an atheist.

Cheers,

Jenna
xMOSHx xHELLA HARDCOREx xBREAKDOWNx

The tragedy is the ignorance behind the clean casket

On the outside, they look so good

They're walking to Wallstreet in a straightjacket...
CausticTears
Veteran

Post by CausticTears »

Definetly. Being gay, in my opinion, doesn't make you any less of human to be able to appreciate and believe in a religion. But, perhaps some people intrepret their religion in a way that gay people do oppose what they believe. In my religion, in my faith... God is all forgiving, he's loving and he loves his children no matter what. So, yes, you can be gay and spiritual.
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

-Leo Buscaglia

[HT Chat Room ][ HT Articles ]

Get your badges
Trapped
Veteran

Post by Trapped »

I just have a question...When you say that God is all forgiving...I understand that part, but it just seems that when ppl say that they mean, that being homosexual is a sin...I'm hetero, but still, I didn't think it was a sin. Again, in my opinion it's choice. It doesn't necessarily mean a "way of life" b/c heterosexuals don't live like a "straight" person, they just live...Iono, I could have interpreted wrong, but just asking.

"And there are voices

That want to be heard

So much to mention

CausticTears
Veteran

Post by CausticTears »

Originally posted by Trapped@Sep 26 2005, 07:58 PM

I just have a question...When you say that God is all forgiving...I understand that part, but it just seems that when ppl say that they mean, that being homosexual is a sin...I'm hetero, but still, I didn't think it was a sin. Again, in my opinion it's choice. It doesn't necessarily mean a "way of life" b/c heterosexuals don't live like a "straight" person, they just live...Iono, I could have interpreted wrong, but just asking.

[right][/right]

Alright, well... a sin to me is when you're a bad person. A bad person is someone who hurts others, purposely... someone who isn't a truely good being. (lol shit, me and my explaining... hopefully, you get me, tho). going on...

What I meant from an all forgiving God is that He will love you no matter what you do. God is there for your support, your strength, and your guidance. Just like a friend or a parent, He's going to allow you to come to him with whatever you want. He's going to ultimately be your friend if you treat Him with respect (be neighborly/be a good person).

So, if you're gay and you're a good person... His love is there. Just like if you're straight; if you're a good person all together... ^.

Eh? Pardon me if what I said doesn't make too much sense... religion isn't something I talk about much.
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

-Leo Buscaglia

[HT Chat Room ][ HT Articles ]

Get your badges
Trapped
Veteran

Post by Trapped »

No, the same for me about religion...I have my thoughts, but then I don't speak much..so I understand you there. And thanx for explainin. :-D

"And there are voices

That want to be heard

So much to mention

yoaliens3000
Veteran

Post by yoaliens3000 »

Speaking from a catholic perspective. Being gay is not a sin, God will except that individual totally. Engaging in homosexual acts in a sin.
Tree Fingers
Loyal

Post by Tree Fingers »

spirituality is not synonymous with religious. One does not have to be religious in order to be spiritual. Spirituality is merely the relationship between your soul (which itself is necessary to define) and the nonsoul (all entities not of soul, including parts of yourself). So, to answer your question, sexuality has nothing to do with these fundamental concepts of spirituality. It isn't a question of possibility, instead it is a question of whether you are in touch with your soul or not.
Rose'nShannenRox
Loyal

Post by Rose'nShannenRox »

Originally posted by yoaliens3000@Sep 27 2005, 12:20 PM

Speaking from a catholic perspective. Being gay is not a sin, God will except that individual totally. Engaging in homosexual acts in a sin.

[right][/right]

Isnt the packege that comes with being gay is engaging in homosexual acts?

It does say "But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust in his eye has already committed adultery with her in his heart. "(Matthew 5:28)

Yes i fully agree that God is all forgiving, but apart of confessiing your sin and giving it too God is saying that you will never do it again.

If you are gay, and ask God for forgivness...then you continue doing it, thats still a sin, its living in sin.

He loves all of us, and will never stop, no matter what. But if we continue to live in sin, then i believe that we can't share in his Glory for eternity.

No one is sinless, I know I'm not...but there is a difference between a sin, and living in sin.

I may come off as one of them bible conservitives, but I'm not. I will never reject a person just because they are gay, nor will i force them to think the way I do...all i can do is pray for them, and i do pray for my friends who are gay, every chance i get., but i don't love them any less or treat them any different...just like Jesus would do.
Im a part of the fellowship of the unashamed.I have Holy Spirit power. The die has been cast.I have stepped over the line.The decision has been made. Im a disciple of His.I wont look back,let up,slow down,back away,or be still...

My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my Guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought, compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,deluded,or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of the adversary,negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity.

I wont give up,shut up,let up,untill i have stayed up,stored up,prayed up,paid up,preached up for the cause of Christ.I am a disciple of Jesus.I must go till He comes,give till i drop,preach till all know,and work till He stops me; and when He comes for His own,He will have no problem recognizing me-my banner will be clear!

-African pastor in Zimbabwe
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

i agree w/ jenna...

you can do both and like her i am atheist not becuase god doesn't accept my actions but becuase i don't belive in him...

Your sexual orientation and religious preferances don't go hand and hand....

~Jeff~
Loyal

Post by 309756 »

Umm... well, spirituality has nothing to do with organized religion.

I would have trouble fitting into any CHristian church, and I only marginally feel comfortable at the most liberal faith traditions. Yet I still think of myself as spriritual.

To answer your question, i think that sexuality is an integral part of spirituality (what would our souls be without a longing for others?), and that homosexuality has no real bearing on the spiritaulity of someone.

But just trust your own judgement. I'm not your parents.
munchkinprince
Loyal

Post by munchkinprince »

This is a bit of a delayed response, but I hope that's ok.

Gay and spiritual do not oppose unless the believer makes it happen.

I find it amazing that straight people can think that homosexuality is a choice when many cannot recall making the decision to be straight or have thought about what being gay means(violence, isolation, etc.) which makes the choice obviously the least appealing.

Sin is not defined by a person's bad or good nature. Sin is defined as "anything against G-d," similar to the definition involved in archery.

The asking for forgiveness part is true-ish, but ignores other verses. Although I do not know the actual verse, the bible also states that accepting Jesus into your heart is the same as being forgiven for any and all sins(except blasphemy, who's definition varies between people), no matter what. To say that Jesus didn't die for homosexuality is to take power away from a perfect sacrifice, which is to take power away from G-d, which makes a whole different religion where G-d is no longer an all powerful being.
Jake
Loyal

Post by Jake »

If munchkinprince hadn't bumped this thread up, I probably would have never noticed it, but I guess a response now is better than a response never.

It's obvious that religion and homosexuality don't always mesh. Whenever you have a set of laws created by mankind, you will see prejudices injected from people who feel that things are better that way. This however doesn't mean you can't be spiritual and gay.

What you do with your god is between you and him, and nobody can put rules on that. Please, release yourself to your god and let him change you to his will; give him the chance to make you straight if that's what he wants. . . I'm sure you'll find that he's fine with how he has made you. I did this, and I found peace with God quicker than any spiritual leader or book ever could and I am still the gay man that God made me.

Just remember, the only truth is between you and your god. Everything else is the propaganda of men. Seek a specific truth with Him and you'll find happiness. :-)
-Jacob Wilson