Absolutely Disgusted With This Church

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

Fishhead
Needs Another Hobby

Absolutely Disgusted With This Church

Post by Fishhead »

I'm an athiest, but my mom decided she was going to make me and my siblings go to a youth group thing at a church tonight. I was pretty strongly against going in the first place because I don't believe in it so it would be awkward, but I gave in and went to make her happy.

Well, I haven't been to many churches but this guy was talking (I think he's the pastor? I wouldn't know) and he spent nearly the WHOLE time talking about how awful and wrong other religions are. While it's true, I really haven't been to many churches I was absolutely disgusted. Do most churches bash other religions like that? I realize that they think they're right..but still. I felt a pastor of a church should be talking about HIS religion, not bashing others, am I wrong to believe this? I was shocked that he'd speak so awfully about another religion.

Danica
Jaegermeister
Veteran

Re: Absolutely Disgusted With This Church

Post by Jaegermeister »

No, I think you just got a special one. My parish church sticks pretty much to it's own shit and lets other churches/religions do what they do.
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
Wheretogo
Veteran

Post by Wheretogo »

No, thats uncommon. No particular religion is wrong. People created it so that they would be able to explain the unexplainable. Thats why there used to be lighning gods, gods of the dead and so on. People sometimes just need to believe in something. The pastor (most likely a youth pastor) clearly does not realize this.

However, that being said. christianity believes it is the only path to god, but so do many other religions. Most people are too busy dealing with the drama in their own church to care though.

I think the pastor had too much time on his hands.
Why give up, why give in?

It's not enough, it never is.

So I will go on until
the end.

We've become desolate.

It's not enough, it never
is.

But I will go on until the end.

I've lost my way.

I've lost my way, but I will go on until the end.

Living is
hard enough

Without you fucking up.

Until The End - Breaking Benjamin
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

well i am atheist and i have gone to many churches (my parents are religious) and there are some priests who bash other religious (in a way to make theirs look superior and "right")....

so yeah, its not horrible uncommen

~Jeff~
turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub »

Yeah, that's definitely rare. Most churches preach about what they feel to be the truth, but never spend time talking about problems with other beliefs.

Don't give up on church just because of a bad experience. :hug:
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

Romans 5:8 "God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Mother Theresa

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.
Fishhead
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Fishhead »

I'm an athiest..I don't even want to go..

I only went because my mom made me. This church just stood out from others she took me to before.
Kit
Veteran

Post by Kit »

That's really disturbing that they would do that. Hmph. Good luck anyhow dear.

ps - We need to talk sometime. We haven't done that in a while! *hugs*
Email me If you ever need someone to talk to and I'm not online, drop me an E-mail. I'll get it on my phone!

Myspace Want to know more about me? Here's my myspace. You can see pictures of my family, and keep up with my life here.

I LOVE my Son Ethan who is 10 months old and my wonderful husband who is signing up for the Army!
turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub »

Why did your mom make you go?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

Romans 5:8 "God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

Fishhead
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Fishhead »

Cause she uses church to fill her holes.
turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub »

Explain that a bit please?

Fishhead
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Fishhead »

She uses church to fill the problems she has. Like, my dad being a fuck up. When he's extra bad she spends extra time going to church, etc.

It doesn't bother me, I just don't believe in any of it.
turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub »

Ah. That all makes sense.

I'm sorry to hear that she makes you go to church, no one should be forced too. ESPECIALLY if you're not religious.

CanadaCraig
Veteran

Post by CanadaCraig »

I'm sorry to hear that she makes you go to church, no one should be forced too. ESPECIALLY if you're not religious.

[/b]
THEN AGAIN...

It doesn't hurt to do something for your mom. I'm sure 'mom' didn't always feel like changing your diaper or getting out of bed every time she heard you crying, etc. Doing things for 'mom' is just the 'right thing' to do. So it was nice to hear - Fishhead - that you DO go.

GREAT BIG HUG

Craig!! :)
"It takes FAR MORE COURAGE to be KIND than it does to be CRUEL!!"

Be sure to LIKE my Love The Bully Facebook Page!

Please visit 'Cambilar'! It's where you'll find my eBooks!

I am a 54 year old guy from Canada!! :)
Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena »

No churches I have ever attended have done that and no Christian church should be doing that. I agree, its disgusting. Christ taught us not to pass judgement upon others and that includes people who practive other religions. Many Christians accept that some religions are worshipping the same God as them in any case.

Just a thought (and another side to Craigs point) here:

[/b]
THEN AGAIN...

It doesn't hurt to do something for your mom. I'm sure 'mom' didn't always feel like changing your diaper or getting out of bed every time she heard you crying, etc. Doing things for 'mom' is just the 'right thing' to do. So it was nice to hear - Fishhead - that you DO go.

GREAT BIG HUG

[/b][/quote]

I think it is nice to do things you wouldn't usually do for (or with) parents. But I think that attending church is one of the exceptions. In my view its too much of a personal thing.

Take care,

Lena.
Woman can not live on tea or chocolate alone.... but she can give it a damn good try.
CanadaCraig
Veteran

Post by CanadaCraig »

I think it is nice to do things you wouldn't usually do for (or with) parents. But I think that attending church is one of the exceptions. In my view its too much of a personal thing.[/b]
Hi Lena!! :)

I would agree with you [to some extent - at least] if Fishhead was a Baptist being asked to go to a Muslim church. [or whatever] But Fishhead is an atheist. So just how 'personal' can it be? An atheist would consider anything said in a church proclaiming a 'higher power' to be nonsense. Besides - would it not be important for a child to KNOW what their mom believes?

Speaking of which...

Fishhead... did you ASK your mom if she thought it was OK to bash other religions?!

GREAT BIG HUG

"It takes FAR MORE COURAGE to be KIND than it does to be CRUEL!!"

Be sure to LIKE my Love The Bully Facebook Page!

Please visit 'Cambilar'! It's where you'll find my eBooks!

I am a 54 year old guy from Canada!! :)
turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub »

Craig, I have to disagree with you. Church is a very personal thing: regardless of beliefs. It's important to those people attending, and Fishhead isn't religious. She shouldn't have had to go to church.

I don't think you can put changing diapers and things like that on the same level as being forced to attend a church.

Fishhead
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Fishhead »

I go to church because it makes her feel good, and if I do things that make her feel good then we get along great. If I start not going and refusing to listen to her when she wants to talk then she won't feel good and living here will suck. I don't mind going to church for her. It's so early in the morning that I'm half-asleep anyways. Anyways, it's not a big deal anymore really. Now that school has started I'll get really busy and hopefully find a job that can coincidently interfere with church, lol. My beliefs are person though, that is where I disagree with you because whether I am Baptist or an Athiest shouldn't matter. Beliefs are beliefs no matter what they are.
sinical_sycology
Loyal

Post by sinical_sycology »

I see where you guys are going but here's my 2 cents. Everyone has a right to their own belief right? And him believing that his religion is the only righteous one is that not a belief? Should we subject him to our judgement? Wouldn't that make us just as bad? I'm not christian, nor am I an atheist I'm a buddhist and often times I get asked questions such as "why is buddha so fat?" "is it true that if you rub his belly you get good luck?" I mean they're taking my religious figure and comparing him to the dough boy and at one time a girl in my class even asked me "how can you believe in that fat guy?" she was chinese and she said this not knowing that it was her country's sect that had came up with Peach boy (the fat buddha, rub his belly and get goodluck). And these things did piss me off, but I've learn to deal with it, buddhism taught me that every person has their own ways to approach harmony, balance, and peace. And sometimes when it comes to these kinds of people, you just need to shake it off, yelling at them and judging them and using them as something to judge others with isn't going to do you any good.
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?" - Jesus Of Nazareth -

"An educated fool is more foolish than an ignorant one." - Moliere -

"There are well-dressed foolish ideas, just as there are well-dressed fools." - Nicolas Chamfort -

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain -

"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes." - Oscar Wilde -

REVOLUTIONARY - An oppressed person waiting for the opportunity to become an oppressor - Cynics Dictionary -
Blue
Hooked On HelpingTeens

Post by Blue »

I see where you guys are going but here's my 2 cents. Everyone has a right to their own belief right? And him believing that his religion is the only righteous one is that not a belief? Should we subject him to our judgement? Wouldn't that make us just as bad?[/b]
What if it was my belief that "All blacks are evil"? Do I have a right to express that as loudly and publically as I like? No. It's fine to talk about your own faith, but it's ignorant and disrespectful when you start ripping into OTHER PEOPLE'S beliefs, which is what he was doing.
sinical_sycology
Loyal

Post by sinical_sycology »

i completely understand that, i'm not justifying what he was doing was right, what i am say though is people like that should be ignored rather than be placed under our light judgement. The topic creator has allowed this person to influence his outlook on other churches and makes him question other faiths. If someone were to believe that all blacks are evil should we give them any attention? Negative or positive. Certainly I don't agree with the man, but what he believes is what he believes. The world comes with bad people and good people, you can't just silence one out and allow the others to speak.
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?" - Jesus Of Nazareth -

"An educated fool is more foolish than an ignorant one." - Moliere -

"There are well-dressed foolish ideas, just as there are well-dressed fools." - Nicolas Chamfort -

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain -

"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes." - Oscar Wilde -

REVOLUTIONARY - An oppressed person waiting for the opportunity to become an oppressor - Cynics Dictionary -