So Many Doubts

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

goodmorning
Loyal

So Many Doubts

Post by goodmorning »

I'm a Christian, but I'm having so many doubts about God right now, and I hate it. I'm getting mad at myself a lot, because I want to share Christ, and I feel like I can't do it because I'm having trouble believing. I wonder all the time, when I'm upset and stuff, if He's even there

Help, please?
your name is the splinter inside me

while i wait.
sinical_sycology
Loyal

Re: So Many Doubts

Post by sinical_sycology »

there's no need to be scared, the idea of God's existence is questioned many many many times, but for some reason people continue to ask and wait for an answer. Truth be told, the answer is in you, you make of it of what you believe. Wanting and believing are 2 different things, I want a playstation 3, I don't believe I'm going to get it. Of course a religious figure is of much greater magnitude (though for many this is debatable) but the point is, you ultimately decide whether God exists or not, go with the decision that you believe is best for you, for some people God is more real than daylight, for others he's merely a made up figure. But just remember that if you choose not to believe in him, and down the road, you felt like it was the wrong choice then you can always go back to believing. That's what I think, religion can't be forced, whatever figure the person feels will help lead them a happier life, then that's what they should believe in, I'm buddhist and for me buddhism is what makes me who I am today, a content, laid back, peaceful guy, and for others God might do that for them, Jesus might do that for them, Allah might do that for them. So for you whatever it is, I hope you find it.
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?" - Jesus Of Nazareth -

"An educated fool is more foolish than an ignorant one." - Moliere -

"There are well-dressed foolish ideas, just as there are well-dressed fools." - Nicolas Chamfort -

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain -

"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes." - Oscar Wilde -

REVOLUTIONARY - An oppressed person waiting for the opportunity to become an oppressor - Cynics Dictionary -
Lostinhersong
Loyal

Post by Lostinhersong »

My mother is a Catholic, whilst my dad is an atheist. My best friend is a Bible-thumping Baptist, while I am an Agnostic . I think that everyone wants proof that there is someone watching over us. When they don't get the proof they are expecting as soon as they want it, they begin to question what they had been taught. It's simple human character...we all want proof. I don't necessarily believe 100% that there is a God, but I am not opposed to the idea that there is or is not. I don't know what to believe in this world of science, technology, and advancement. Religion seems to be shrinking in the background...
"Excuse me while I go and have a 'geek-gasm' "- random guy at Comic-Con '07

Brittni: -rips pants off of me-

Me: HEY! I was wearing those!

Brittni: My pants...I therefore have the right to revoke your right of wearing them. I just acted upon my right, and flattened your right...

Me: Yeah...You're right.
nevermindmylife
Loyal

Post by nevermindmylife »

I meant to say something here that would help you, I meant to tell you my beliefs to help you with yours, and I wrote stuff down, deleted it, again and again and again, until I realized that the reason nothing seemed right when I wrote it is because each person must find that belief on their own. Some people are tested, and some are not. The world is not fair, and we will never understand why, but that is the way it is.

God is there for every single one of us, but I truly believe that God treats us any normal father would treat his child. He can hold us and comfort us, but at some point he has to let the child stand on his own, and have the world crush down on them, and have them recover on their own. If our parents didn't do this, then we would never succeed at anything in life. Likewise, no matter how much He may not want to, He has to let us stand on our own at times, and although life may be ecrutiatingly painful, He has to stand back and do nothing, for we must make it on our own at some point. Some of us may hate Him for it, just as some children hate their parents, and turn our backs and choose not to believe, while some of us may turn around and say that we don't understand why but we know he cared for us the entire time and cried with us when we cried, yet some of us will do neither as we will refuse to not believe, but are too mad to completely go back.

I don't know if this will help you at all, sometimes what I write only makes sense to be, but really what I have been trying to say is do not be upset that you are questioning, at some point, most of us question, and there is nothing wrong with that. Once we lose the faith we have as children, we must all learn to regain our faith on our own. For each person this is done differently, and for some it never happens. But God made the world so that we would question. The gift of knowledge is the curse of disbelief.

I have no doubt that you will find a way back to God, to be so upset about losing faith shows that you truly do have a strong faith, and you just need to rebuild it from the bottom. You need a better base than that which you had as a child, and the base you build will be strong enough to last you to St. Peter's Gate. For a design that has been tested will inevitably be better than one that has not been.

----------------

Now, for everyone else, if you don't follow my beliefs, or disagree, please keep your mouth shut about that. Say your opinion, but do not shoot down mine. That is very rude. I would never criticize yours, so I expect you to be nice, and not criticize mine. Part of why this forum doesn't really grow in size is that people leave because their opinions are insulted. Or at least I know that is why a bunch of us left a few years ago. I am back now, and hopefully things have changed, but nonetheless, I ask you to be nice, and to respect what I hold sacred, just as I would respect what you hold sacred. Thanks.

<span style=\'color:red\'be sure to stay strong

for hope is always coming right along

Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena »

Footprints in the Sand.

One night a man had a dream. He dreamed He was walking along the beach with the LORD. Across the sky flashed scenes from His life. For each scene He noticed two sets of footprints in the sand. One belonging to Him and the other to the LORD.

When the last scene of His life flashed before Him, He looked back at the footprints in the sand. He noticed that many times along the path of His life there was only one set of footprints. He also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times of His life.

This really bothered Him and He questioned the LORD about it. LORD you said that once I decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way. But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life there is only one set of footprints. I don't understand why when I needed you most you would leave me.

The LORD replied, my precious, precious child, I Love you and I would never leave you! During your times of trial and suffering when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.
Woman can not live on tea or chocolate alone.... but she can give it a damn good try.
goodmorning
Loyal

Post by goodmorning »

I like that story.

But sometimes I don't feel like God is carrying me. Anytime I think He's trying to take care of me, I get mad, and then I get mad at myself for getting mad at Him, because I'm just being stupid. I don't know.
your name is the splinter inside me

while i wait.
VittorioCole
Loyal

Post by VittorioCole »

Hmm, lena.. i seem to remember telling a similar story :P

Faith in Christ is a very easy thing to doubt, because it is a matter of the heart. Doubt isnt a bad thing, that's very important to understand. St. Peter denied Christ three times due to his own doubts, but he is still regarded as one of the highest of the saints.

Doubts dont destroy faith. They force you to think about what it is you believe.
[CENTER]So you're the fire and I'm the water.

I am the balance and you are the color.

I won't forget you when we're not together.

This is the ending, here's my surrender.[/CENTER]
Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena »

Yes, Tim dear. Though even if you hadn't I woulda posted it. I love that story.

Ditto to what Tim said, btw.
Woman can not live on tea or chocolate alone.... but she can give it a damn good try.
The Mutant Pixie
Loyal

Post by The Mutant Pixie »

To doubt is surely to consider ones options. I personaly believe that if there is a God (I'm undecided at present) he/she could consider your faith that much stronger if it was a faith that had been tested. ( Sorry if that doesnt make a lot of sense, I can try again to explain if anyone wants. )

Just my musings

M
If the towers wobbly at the base, dont keep climbing... nut it! If it falls over, then you have to rebuild it, if not your good to go on climbing!

You never only cross my mind

You always come and stay awhile...

Long enough to lift my spirits

Warm my heart

And make me smile.

Iris Murdoch:

"Bereavement is a darkness impenetrable to the imagination of the unbereaved."
The Mutant Pixie
Loyal

Post by The Mutant Pixie »

Oh and btw the story... "Footprints in the Sand, Mary Stevenson, 1936" Lol
If the towers wobbly at the base, dont keep climbing... nut it! If it falls over, then you have to rebuild it, if not your good to go on climbing!

You never only cross my mind

You always come and stay awhile...

Long enough to lift my spirits

Warm my heart

And make me smile.

Iris Murdoch:

"Bereavement is a darkness impenetrable to the imagination of the unbereaved."
sweethelp
Veteran

Post by sweethelp »

The way you are feeling right now is completely understandable.

I have been raised Catholic and sometimes I have some serious doubts, espcially when I'm going through a rough time. But the Footprints story that Lena posted helps me to realize that even though I may not always feel Christ he is there and he is helping us in ways where we need it the most. We have to go through those rough times to help make us stronger people and again I always see it as God wouldn't put something on our plate that we couldn't handle, even though it may feel as if we can't handle it; we can.

Those are just somethings that have always helped me. But again doubt is a normal thing when it comes to religion, I'm sure that most people have doubted at one point or another. God works in mysterious ways. =)

~~Kimmy~~
She's so big hearted

but not so remarkable

just an ordinary humble girl

expecting nothing as we may

to think it's a pretty person's worth

you are beautiful

and you'd better go show it

so go and look again

you gotta be true only if you really wanna go to the top and you really wanna win

don't believe in living normal

just to satisfy demand

Well, if you wanna get free

and if wanna get smart by the sake of your heart

you should own your lame and stand up tall

:)