Mormons?

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

msbitton
Hooked On HelpingTeens

Mormons?

Post by msbitton »

What does everybody know about mormons?
Jaegermeister
Veteran

Re: Mormons?

Post by Jaegermeister »

A fair bit. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Founded by Joseph Smith in I believe the early 1700's. Joseph Smith Junior led them out West. Settled in Salt Lake City. Very conservative traditional sect of Christianity, but seperates itself from mainstream Christianity in that they believe Jesus came and spoke to a society over in the North American continent which was lost. the Book of Mormon is the record of the visits of Jesus to this culture, and is used as a supplement to the Bible. They also believe that there are current day prophets who continue to lead the LDS church. From what I understand the Prophet is similar to the Catholic Pope, but I know there are differences, i just don't know enough to tell you exactly how they differ. That is most of the more salient points I believe. I may have left a few out, as I am highly caffinated and very sleep deprived.
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
sinical_sycology
Loyal

Post by sinical_sycology »

they're funny people
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?" - Jesus Of Nazareth -

"An educated fool is more foolish than an ignorant one." - Moliere -

"There are well-dressed foolish ideas, just as there are well-dressed fools." - Nicolas Chamfort -

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain -

"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes." - Oscar Wilde -

REVOLUTIONARY - An oppressed person waiting for the opportunity to become an oppressor - Cynics Dictionary -
Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena »

And thats an example of the kind of comment we don't want in here, sinical. This forum is for open minded discussion and debate, not for disrespecting other religions.
Woman can not live on tea or chocolate alone.... but she can give it a damn good try.
snowboardgirl_16
Loyal

Post by snowboardgirl_16 »

It was actually founded in 1830.

Haha.. I know a lot about mormons since there is a temple about an hour and a half from my hometown... so I went to high school and was friends with a lot of them.. even dated one. I even endured a 3 hour church session once... never again...

It's a very interesting religion. Some strange "guidelines" to live by. Things such as no substance that alters the mind or body... including caffeine. Most of them not "allowed" to attend dances until 14, not allowed to date until 16. Usually marry young and only after a few months of dating. No tattoos, or piercings... well for girls, only allowed ears, one in each.

Mormons believe that the ticket into heavan is through having children.. which is why they have so many of them... Girls are told from very young that their job is to get married and have kids and that it is the males job to bring in the money. A lot of girls I graduated with that are mormon went to BYU in Utah and we always joked with them that they were taking "Husband Hunting 101", which is kind of true for most girls since most of them are either married now or are engaged.

Young males do missionary work. I actually have a few friends right now that are on their missions, one in Japan, one in Argentina, one in Siberia. The mission is 2 years, I can't remember all the components of it.. last year before my one friend left for his mission he explained it to me but for the life of me I can't remember what. Usually you go on your mission at 18-21

The only way to enter a mormon temple is if you are married/getting married or have gone on your mission. There is actually such a thing as a "mormon card" that you have to show before you can enter a temple.

Some mormons, such as Brigham Young, believe in polygamy (more than one wife).

They pay a huge tithe to the church.. a big portion of the income. But if you are ever in any financial trouble, the chuch will be there for you and help you out.

In order to get divorced (uncommon) you have to do it in the temple... so that it can be undone in the eyes of God.
"Could you be the one to find me safe and sound? Love is how it's lost not how it's found. I don't know those eyes, but I see beauty there always. I know it's wrong to love you from afar but it's a craze." Azure Ray

"Take a look at yourself, and put your heart upon the shelf. It still bleeds, these wound won't heal, This pain inside is all that's real. Fall, as fire. Fall as fire from the sky above." Stutterfly

"It's all about the icing, and nobody cares about what's inside. You could see the outside face, it looks good, it must be great. And I know that's all you see. What would it matter anyway? Cause I can see right through your pretty, pretty skin today." The Early November
Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

I highly recommend a recent special on PBS: Frontline

You can watch the entire thing online at this link.

http://www.pbs.org/mormons/
HelpingTeens.org:

I can't think of a better use of server resources...I really can't.
sinical_sycology
Loyal

[quote name='Lena;490137']And thats an example of the kind of comment we don't want in here, sinical. This forum is for open minded discussion and debate, not for disrespecting other religions.[/quote]

I'm not disrespecting or knocking anyone, I didn't realize this but I forgot to post a video, it just shows how pissed off they get when some atheist goes and knocks on their doors trying to convert them, but I know what you mean and trust me, even with all the shit I've said here on this site the last thing I'd do would be to bash anyone's religion, I've had my religion bashed and as much as I just shrug it off it does strike a nerve and I don't want to do the same to anyone, so if anyone here was offended, sorry about that :)

**I also just realized that I read the question incorrectly, I thought the topic creator was asking what we think about mormons not what we know, in that case I know nothing besides their belief that jesus traveled to the western world (though this could be wrong as I'm unclear to what exactly one of the biker people told me )
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?" - Jesus Of Nazareth -

"There are well-dressed foolish ideas, just as there are well-dressed fools." - Nicolas Chamfort -

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain -

REVOLUTIONARY - An oppressed person waiting for the opportunity to become an oppressor - Cynics Dictionary -
sbloemeke
Veteran

Post by sbloemeke »

Sinical, we don't really want that either. Videos making fun of a religeon, or anything that could be hurtful to a person is really bashing. It can be extremely subtle.
sinical_sycology
Loyal

it's not making fun it's pointing out the hypocrisy of it all. They can knock on our doors and attempt to convert us yet if we were to do that to them they yell they curse at one point in the video some old dude whacked the guy with a broom stick. Is that to say they're all like that? No....I'm not saying that and besides.......lighten up a bit, it's not as if I came in and said they're going to hell